cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Send/Receive Media Texts and No Voicemail Notifications

OKJoy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7.

As the subject says, I can't Send/Receive Media Texts and no Voicemail Notifications are sent when someone leaves a message.  I tried changing the APN settings but haven't been able to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi OkJoy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

Please make sure to set the right APN parameters by referring to the following link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp.... Also, please make sure to set the MMSC address as http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 

If your device does not let you modify the APN, please contact the manufacturer for more technical supports.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

@OKJoy Login to your account and check your payments and the plan details. If incorrect private message the moderators.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

OKJoy

ok so I tried this but I got a recorded message:

Hi, public mobile here. sorry talk is not included in your current plan. if you would like this service you can easily change your plan at selfserve.publicmobile.ca and start talking

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What about *#*#4636#*#* (again, you may have to press the call button after entering this)?

OKJoy

so it says:

connection problem or invalid MMI code

skmkenn

Open up the Phone app and dial in *#5005*7672# (you may have to hit the call button after you enter this) - does it present you with any number or error message?

OKJoy

Ah, that makes sense!

so I navigate to Messages Settings > More Settings > Text Messages

but there's no option for Message Centre

is there any other way to access this feature?

skmkenn

Your Galaxy S7 is a Sprint (US) model which is only partially compatible with the wireless bands in Canada, and more than likely has some default settings that are specific to Sprint as they tend to more heavily customize their devices for their network.

Voicemail notifications are sent as a special type of text message to your device, so if the below number is set incorrectly it may explain why you're not seeing them in addition to issues with MMS. Check the Message Centre (SMSC) number on your device and make sure that it is set correctly:

• Open the Messages app and navigate to MenuSettings > More Settings > Text Messages > Message Centre.
  • Ensure that the number is set to +16475800172.

OKJoy

it says

SM-G930P

skmkenn

What's the model number under Settings > About Phone?

OKJoy

I bought it on Ebay

skmkenn

Where did you purchase your phone from?

OKJoy

*sorry double post

OKJoy

Alright, so I've done a factory reset and still mms wont send and new voicemail doesn't send me a notifcation.

OKJoy

This started happening when I switched over to my s7 from an Asus zenfone II.  MMS and voicemail worked when I put my new sim in the zenfone II. 

I've clicked wipe cache partition on the s7 but its still the same result.

Just looking up how to backup my data at the moment in preparation for a factory reset.

skmkenn

Did this start happening recently after an update to the phone or has this been happening for some time?

There are a few more troubleshooting steps that can be done, hopefully we can narrow this down before a factory reset is required.

Boot to safe mode:

Turn your phone off.

Hold down the Power button until you see the Galaxy S7 logo appear.

Immediately press and hold the Volume Down button.

Once you see "Safe Mode" in the corner of the screen, release the Volume Down button.

Test to see if you're able to send yourself a MMS message.

If the above doesn't work, the next step is to delete the phone's cache. This only holds temporary information from apps and the system, and will not erase any of your data:

Navigate to Settings > Device Maintenance > Storage

Tap on the menu button in the top right  and tap on Storage settings

Tap on Internal Storage.

Tap on Cached data.

When prompted with "This will clear cached data for all apps", tap on Clear.

Next, turn your phone off and wait for it to shut down.

Hold down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time. You will see the Galaxy S7 logo appear at which point you can release the Power button, but keep holding down Volume Up and Home

You'll see a screen displayed that says "Installing system update", followed by an Android with an exclamation point which will be displayed for about ~30-45 seconds, after which you will see several recovery options.

Use the volume down button to highlight "Wipe cache partition" and then press the Power button to select it. You should be asked to confirm, use the volume key to highlight Yes and then Power again to begin the cache wipe. Once it has completed, use the Volume Up key to select "Reboot system now" and then press Power to restart your phone.

Once your phone has restarted, test MMS again.

If the above doesn't work, you will need to factory reset your phone. Before doing this, make sure that you have saved any important stuff like your photos, contacts, etc. Once you've got everything backed up head over to Settings > General Management > Reset and select Factory data reset, and follow the onscreen prompts. Your phone will restart and begin the factory reset process, and once it's completed you'll need to go through the setup process (sign in with your Google account, Samsung account if you have one, etc).

OKJoy

I resetted the network settings and restarted, still no mms texts can be sent

skmkenn

Hurray, progress! So we've got it narrowed down to something specific to your Galaxy S7. Put your SIM card back into it, and then go into Settings > General Management > Reset and select Reset Network Settings. From there, you'll be asked to confirm whether you want to reset your network settings (which will reset things such as your APNs, clear out Wi-Fi networks, and other network related information). 

Once the network settings reset is completed, restart and test again to see if MMS works or if it's still exhibiting issues.

OKJoy

So I put my current sim card into my old phone and both mms and voicemail notifications worked!

skmkenn

Do you have access to another phone that you can put your SIM card in to test whether MMS messaging works correctly from another device?

OKJoy

I tried this and luckily my messages didnt get deleted! but it's still the same result when I try to send an mms text, it won't send.

skmkenn

@OKJoy I just wanted to follow up to see if the last post for clearing the Messages app cache resolved your issue, or if this is still ongoing and you need to troubleshoot further? Smiley Happy

skmkenn

One more thing we can try is to clear out the cache for the Messages app, which can sometimes resolve issues such as this one.

NOTE: This may erase text messages that you currently have saved.

Navigate to Settings > Applications > Application Manager
Swipe to the All tab and locate the Messages app
Tap on Force Close, and then tap on OK in the message window that pops up.
Tap on Storage, then tap on Clear Cache, followed by Clear Data.

Press Delete when prompted.

Restart your phone again and try sending yourself an MMS message.

OKJoy

Yeah, when someone tries to send me an mms text, a bubble shows something like:

No Subject

message size: 89KB

Expires: 3:19pm Aug 24

There's a download button but its just like you said, nothing downloads.  Eventually I get a message that says "message not downloaded. review message and try again"

When I try to send a picture to someone it shows the image of the picture and the little progress circle, but it just keeps spinning without the message being sent.

skmkenn

What error message are you seeing when sending a MMS message? Also, if someone sends you an MMS message do you receive a text message with a placeholder where the content is supposed to be but nothing downloads?

OKJoy

Yep, mobile data is enabled.

skmkenn

Do you have mobile data enabled on your phone? Even though MMS usage doesn't count against your data it's still delivered using the cellular data network.

OKJoy

I clicked on APN's and clicked the top right Reset to Default button.  It seems to be functioning the same as before, regular texts work but mms wont send.  I'm using the built in Samsung messenger.

skmkenn

If you go back to the main APN Settings screen, tap the menu button in the top right, there should be an option to reset your APNs. Give that a try and see if MMS works then.

What app are you using to send MMS? The Samsung one that's built in, Google's Android Messenger, or another app?

OKJoy

how did I miss that!  Well I changed both the settings you recommended, rebooted and tried sending myself an mms text but it still won't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.