cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling USA with basic plan

Stargate20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Calling USA with basic plan - what is per minute cost? Or is it blocked?

15 REPLIES 15

Im with @wetcoaster on this. It's been a long day and a long week of being snowbound here in Vancouver. But, I can see the neighbours roof below me and as of this afternoon it is no longer white. No pictures please.... please head to the lounge for a beer on me (I'm buying, @darlicious ordered it from the supplier) AND all the Snow pictures you can handle!

AE_Collector

@wetcoaster wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

@Stargate20 i almost forgot to mention, if you have any data with your plan you also have an option of textNow. This is what i often use, they give you free Canadian number, free unlimited calling and texting with both canada and usa. This is what i use as alternative number, you duo have to maintain it to keep the number as you will lose it if you stunt use it for 30 days and they do run ads in their app. If you restrict background data it will not consume more than 30 megs. 

@totalUser 

I'm curious... what does stunt using your phone consist of?

(I know that it must be auto correct, but I could not help chuckling about this one...)

@wetcoaster  I think perhaps @totalUser meant to type in 'don't'  At least that is my guess:)

@dabr 

I got that, hence the now bolded line.

Oops!  Haha missed that:)

@dabr wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

@Stargate20 i almost forgot to mention, if you have any data with your plan you also have an option of textNow. This is what i often use, they give you free Canadian number, free unlimited calling and texting with both canada and usa. This is what i use as alternative number, you duo have to maintain it to keep the number as you will lose it if you stunt use it for 30 days and they do run ads in their app. If you restrict background data it will not consume more than 30 megs. 

@totalUser 

(I know that it must be auto correct, but I could not help chuckling about this one...)

@wetcoaster  I think perhaps @totalUser meant to type in 'don't'  At least that is my guess:)

@dabr 

I got that, hence the now bolded line.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

@totalUser 

@totalUser wrote:

@totalUser 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Stargate20 i almost forgot to mention, if you have any data with your plan you also have an option of textNow. This is what i often use, they give you free Canadian number, free unlimited calling and texting with both canada and usa. This is what i use as alternative number, you do have to maintain it to keep the number as you will lose it if you don't ( sorry about my autoincorrect) use it for 30 days and they do run ads in their app. If you restrict background data it will not consume more than 30 megs. 

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Stargate20  You could also make use of WhatsApp to call friends and family, or voip options for calling US if it's not serious or for business purposes

@wetcoaster 

Yes I almost went back and edited it to those words..."were offered"! Hopefully most got the offer and accepted on time but I bet many didn't. Just like plan improvements that require you actually change plans it is always best to check in here reasonably often to see what's up!

AE_Collector

@Stargate20 wrote:

Just calling from home province to USA and thought it would be 50 cents per minute or such but cheaper with add-on. I did a test and it blocked the call so you are correct.

There are no pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile. If a feature is not part of your base plan and you don't pay for an according add-on (if available) up-front you cannot use it. Flip side is that there are never any surprise overage charges.

@AE_Collector wrote:

If you happened to be a customer here on Dec 25 or earlier you were given 400 minutes of international calling which can be used to call from Canada to the US as well.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

"[...] you were given the option of adding 400 minutes of international calling [...]"

Since the free add-ons had to be added to the account by the customer (vs automatically added like the gift data from last summer / fall) there are people out there that missed out on it. There was someone a couple of days ago who asked about this, and I'm sure they are not the only ones. You snooze you loose...

Stargate20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just calling from home province to USA and thought it would be 50 cents per minute or such but cheaper with add-on. I did a test and it blocked the call so you are correct.

If you happened to be a customer here on Dec 25 or earlier you were given 400 minutes of international calling which can be used to call from Canada to the US as well.

AE_Collector

one more thing, the add-on doesn't expire, it will stay with you until completely consumed or you close your account.

If you took advantage of the holiday giveaway, you can use those 400 minutes to call usa as well.

You can buy that add-on, it is 400 minutes for $15 and that one is a bit cheaper and also can be used for some other countries

Need Help? Let's chat.