cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“COMMNITY ACCOUNT” vs “MY ACCOUNT” vs “SELF SERVE” ACCOUNT

Leopold
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When looking for answers on this site, a new subscriber might get the impression that there are THREE types of accounts at Public Mobile. Namely:

(1) COMMUNITY ACCOUNT: an online tool allowing USERS to help one another.

(2) PUBLIC MOBILE ACCOUNT: the basic account that includes the plan, sim card info, and phone number.  

(3) SELF SERVE ACCOUNT: a more advanced account allowing the user to access detailed information such as: talking minutes, balance of data available, billing cycle, etc.

In reality, there are NOT three types of accounts but ONLY TWO types of accounts. Namely: COMMUNITY and MY ACCOUNT – as shown in the top right corner of your screen.

More specifically, MY ACCOUNT and SELF-SERVE ACCOUNT are the very same thing. There is a lot of talk about the benefits of a SELF SERVE account. That talk may be confusing for some newcomers. It may also be a cause of frustration if you happen to trying to figure out (like I did) how to upgrade from MY ACCOUNT to a non-existing higher level account promising even more benefits.

In summary, once you have activated your SIM card by carefully following the steps outlined on this site, "MY ACCOUNT" is also your "SELF-SERVE" account.

Leopold

19 REPLIES 19

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Plan wrote:

A little late to jump in but let's not forget the "My Rewards" account. ------ Unless I'm missing something all that one really needs are My Account and My Rewards Account.

Info. on Community posts can quickly be 'out of date' around here as things are updated or changed. Since this thread started (nearly 1 year ago now) the Public Points system was introduced in January 2022, so things have changed.

Perhaps things will even tweak more, just to keep us on our toes.

@Plan wrote:

A little late to jump in but let's not forget the "My Rewards" account. ------ Unless I'm missing something all that one really needs are My Account and My Rewards Account.

This thread is from a time from when the rewards/points were sepearted from the Self Serve account. The information in this thread is no longer up to date.  As for the the My Rewards account, the login credentials are the same as My Account/Self Serve.

Plan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you are helping an OP then refer to "Your My Account"

@LurganIeUk 

I do see the OP's point but some reason in my head I keep seeing "MY ACCOUNT" coming up as "SOME OTHER GUY'S ACCOUNT"🤣🤣🤣! But I digress....

I see two things here.

Some here want to dispute what My Account should be named as and suggest it be Self Serve. 

Others that are new are confused by the use on the incorrect reference. And may look for a "Self Serve" tab. And of course being self serve no one wants to make a mistake. 

So what ever the "tab" name/link is...that is what it should be called ..."MY ACCOUNT". 

And another thing that should be clear is:

"PM in a green square" is on the payroll of Public Mobile (Telus)

MOD is what?

Oracle is appointed with reward. 

Mayor and down is earned as a volunteer with option of rewards based on participation, accordingly. 

@Leopold 

Now if you really want it to come true a little quicker you best be adding it to @maximum_gato 's wishlist!🤣🤣🤣

@J_PM 

Thank you for your reply....I'm sure this make @Leopold quite happy that their suggestion is being taken seriously.

@Leopold 

Now that you know which pm manager to tag when you get positive feedback from the community about a suggestion that is cost effective and relatively easy to implement you can see that pm really does listen to its customers.

Like @dabr though you have to keep up the change in community managers as they tend to happen every 8 months or so.....we would like to see @J_PM stick around for longer but when they leave its usually because of a promotion so we can't exactly fault them for leaving! 

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

We appreciate your feedback! This topic has come up with other users before. The Public Mobile Team is working on evolving our user sign-in journey in the future. I’d be happy to pass this information along as you have some valid points here. Thank you for your support.

Jade

@hTideGnow 

Yep....briefly the $30/2gb plan, the current $35/3gb plan, adding the account pin# to make credit card payments via 611. I would have to reread the thread for anything else....

Edit:

....and the briefly the $45/6.5gb plan that left with the elimination of provincial wide calling. I suppose the newly updated $50/10.5gb plan for those who wanted a bigger data plan.

@darlicious   I had no idea that Catherine had left, must have missed/forgot when that was announced...had noticed Jade_S signing in a few times but didn't realize that she had replaced Catherine.  Good to know thanks.

.. curious... any wishes ever come true from the list?

@dabr 

Tagging  @Catherine_T won't get the OP very far since she is no longer with pm. @J_PM would work a lot better.

@Leopold 

Or you can always add it here....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

@Leopold wrote:

Should Public Mobile be considering replacing the heading "MY ACCOUNT" with the heading "SELF SERVE ACCOUNT" to avoid confusion?

I absolutely agree @Leopold.

The simpler the better, especially when it is not obvious for some newcomers to know where to go and how to get info. efficiently.

I vote, Yes, to having "My Account" change to "Self Serve Account".

Submit a ticket to Moderators and stick it in their "suggestion box".

I don't know, you never know....little improvements here and there are wins whichever way you look at it.

@Leopold wrote:

Should Public Mobile be considering replacing the heading "MY ACCOUNT" with the heading "SELF SERVE ACCOUNT" to avoid confusion?

@Leopold   Agreed...I think that's a good suggestion and should avoid any confusion.  You could always tag edit: Jade_S or Alan_K with your suggestions?

@Leopold 

Is it really that confusing? I suppose it could be retitled "my self-serve account" but with the exception of those of us who manage other peoples accounts when you click on my account it brings you to the self serve account where you log in with your credentials

Leopold

softech
Oracle
Oracle

honest, I like to use the term Self-Serve too.   My Account is too generic term, When I type My Account, just worry if people understand I am talking about his/her account and not my account.. LoL

Leopold

I have just joined Public Mobile. I have experienced several challenges partly because (1) the layout of the site is confusing and (2) the site does not feature a prominent link to a KNOWLEDGE BASE on the main page.

As a result, I found myself constantly turning towards Mods via private messaging for clear answers to simple questions. In the process, I discovered that some Mods are also confused by this site’s design, and some Mods do not provide adequate answers. A case in point concerns the TYPES OF ACCOUNTS available here Public Mobile.

Following several private messages about the PM account system, one particular Mod erroneously told me that there are THREE types of accounts. Namely:

(1) COMMUNITY ACCOUNT: an online tool allowing USERS to help one another.

(2) PUBLIC MOBILE ACCOUNT: the basic account that includes the plan, sim card info, and phone number.  

(3) SELF SERVE ACCOUNT: a more advanced account allowing the user to access detailed information such as: talking minutes, balance of data available, billing cycle, etc.

Earlier today, a more senior Mod revealed to me that there are NOT three types of accounts but ONLY TWO types of accounts. Namely: COMMUNITY and MY ACCOUNT – as all of you will plainly see in the top right corner of your screen.

More specifically, MY ACCOUNT and SELF-SERVE ACCOUNT are the very same thing. There is a lot of talk on this site about SELF SERVE ACCOUNT. That unnecessary talk was very confusing for a newbie like me. It’s the cause of much frustration for first time users who are trying to figure out how to upgrade from MY ACCOUNT to a non-existing higher level promising even more benefits.

SUGGESTION to SENIOR MODS:

I would like to make the following suggestion to SENIOR MODS at Public  Mobile. Would it not be possible to redesign the MAIN PAGE at COMMUNITY to feature a KNOWLEDGE BASE with clear directives on the most fundamental steps to follow for new subscribers please? Might you also consider including in this Knowledge Base a few words saying that MY ACCOUNT and a SELF SERVE account are one and the same?

Leopold.

Need Help? Let's chat.