cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus upgrade procedure

Dis_Gruntled
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The self-serve web site puts users in a Catch-22. A plan cannot be upgraded without sufficient payment balance in the account. When one adds a payment, on the last day of the previous billing period (today), the account is debited by the amount due for the old plan. Even though the next billing period ***has not begun***, the system does not apply that payment to the new plan.

12 REPLIES 12

@Dis_Gruntled  I'm happy to hear the moderator applied a credit. Changing your plan can be a little confusing and if you choose "change plan now" it can be a fatal mistake. However the moderators are very forgiving to new customers as you figure how everything works. I try and ask for each moderators review link after our interaction to show my appreciation and review the customer service I've received. If you are ever unsure of something you want to do in your account just come to the community first to get some clarification first before proceeding. We are always happy to help!

Dis_Gruntled
Thanks everyone who chipped in with suggestions. To be clear, my account was never interrupted, I just had to top up my balance once more than necessary, for the plan upgrade to be accepted. Here is what the moderator said to me, pasted in here so that others may avoid having the same problem that I had: - - - I have read the financial history of the account. I will apply a $25 credit to the account for you so at the next top-up, you would need to pay only $25 to renew for the next cycle. For the next time when you want to change the plan, you have to select on self-serve the ''change plan on next payment date'' option to avoid this confusion because the system automatically, at the start of a new cycle, uses the credit from the account to renew the current plan if you don't select that ''change plan on the next payment date'' option. Check on your self-serve account and you will see the new balance of $25. Kindly, (name) PM moderator

@Dis_Gruntled  When you first tried to change your plan was your service active? Your renewal date in your account is misleading the due date is actually the day before it states in the account. It sounds like the reason it was prompting you to pay the $25 old plan cost was because it was already suspended. You paid it renewed then you topped up and did an immediate plan change which cancelled your newly renewed plan and changed it to the $50 plan. If you show us your payment history it will explain what has happened transaction wise. You can then understand how the mistake was made and ask for a credit.

@Dis_Gruntled I don't know what to say, this has never personally happened to me. The only thing would be to hang in there and see what they say tomorrow. 

Dis_Gruntled

I haven't heard back from them in order to be able to ask.

I was told,

"We have all the information we need about your issue. As next steps, our Moderator Team will contact you within 48 hours.
Ticket reference number: 129501-212
Time submitted: 2020-03-29 8:26 PM"

…which, you'll notice is tomorrow's date.

Dis_Gruntled

@gblackma  Here's the chronology:

February: new account, $25 plan, everything goes smoothly. Receive bonus $10 account credit. Total balance: $10.

March: Telus / Public Mobile will not allow me to upgrade plan without sufficient balance to cover the new fee. So I add $40 voucher to bring balance to $50 for upgrade to new plan.

When I go to upgrade the account, they take $25 of my $50 to pay for the next 30 days of the old plan. Remember, this is still the last day of the old plan: no new services have been provided. I try to upgrade the account effective the next day (today) and the botty selfserve page says no, I have to top up my account to the necessary $50 for the new plan.

So, assuming Telus / Public Mobile are ethical and will credit me the $25 they took for no services provided, I top up the account with ANOTHER $25 so that I can upgrade the account before the new term begins today.

That goes smoothly, but I have yet to receive a credit for the money they took for a plan they never provided.

Am I being naïve in expecting them to do the right thing without prompting?

@Dis_Gruntled  were you able to contact the moderators and explain what happened?  They may give you a $25 if you ask nicely. I would try it.

Dis_Gruntled

Thanks @gblackma and all others who replied.

After some trouble with having to re-set my password, I have managed to submit a ticket as advised.

To clarify: I was able to upgrade the plan to the $50 / 8GB level, but only after making a further top-up to my account balance, because the botty selfserve page was determined to apply my balance to the old plan... all of this yesterday, before my then-current billing month expired.

So Telus / Public Mobile has $25 of my money, in payment for zilch: a plan that was never renewed at the old terms.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Dis_Gruntled , the only oddity I am aware of is that when downgrading a plan, parts of the renewal system is still looking for payment associated with the old plan.  In terms of actual payment, the new plan costs are debited.  I don't recall whether this oddity has been patched or not.  It doesn't really affect those on auto payment but can impact those who top up.  

@Dis_Gruntled  Please clarify as @oglat  has asked and @Jb456 has shown what you are trying to achieve. What you have done exactly? What has changed in your account? Your renewal is scheduled to happen in four hours....what does your account currently say? Active? Expired? Suspended?

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I can't really figure it out

Could you please clarify what are you trying to do (eg. I'm with 25 plan I renew tomorrow Im downgrading to 15 and I want to pay manually today, system tells me I owe 25 but it should be 15) if my example is correct, that's fine just choose' other amount' and subtract all the rewards you should be getting from the plan cost that you are switching to

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Dis_Gruntled  the only thing for you to do, is to contact a moderator and explain your situation. Explain what happened and ask them to change your plan over for you. 

Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)
Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen. The mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification in your email INBOX.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Need Help? Let's chat.