cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to receive text when travelling in China ?

tigerwang1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can the PM# roam in the U.S. only?

Is there any way to receive the text to PM# when I travel in China?  Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@tigerwang1  

You could try email or different bank, it seems many of the bases are covered:

1) Explore other options your bank code: email, sms/calling diff number

If they do, simply make and inform them of necessary changes

2) If possible try to do your banking before leaving, unless it's a long trip

3) If feasible use a bank that accepts 1), or open new acct that does

4) Try the app/forwarding suggested earlier, which may not work

5) Use payment apps if that is the purpose of bank's sms

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Here's a rather techie method you can try that doesn't require changing numbers. 

Note: I have not tried this myself yet, but I have to do something like this soon so I've been looking this up:

1- Get a spare phone and put your PM sim card in it

2- Download IFTTT on spare phone

3- Set up IFTTT to forward text messages to your phone# in China, or to your email, or even to your wechat lol

4- Remember to test this all of this and keep the phone plugged in before you leave on your trip.

You can use one of the many "applets" that others have already created, so you don't have to do all the programming yourself. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=forward+text+message+using+ifttt

Do some reading and familiarize yourself with IFTTT before setting this up, just so you know how it works, etc.

Hope this helps

tigerwang1

Thanks for all, but terribly sorry I was not able to understand from the later part of the discussion... Who can kindly clarify how to receive bank's security code in China?

- change my cell# with the bank to a virtual one?

- forward the text from PM# to a virtual number by some way? How?

@wetcoaster wrote:

@tigerwang1 wrote:

Well.. I don't think text can be switched, do you think so?

S/He means porting your service to TextNow, closing your account at Public Mobile.*

You want to make sure that your financial institution accepts VOIP numbers for 2FA.

* Or you could just get a new TextNow number and put that as your contact number for your 2FA.

I actually meant just switching number on file while away to textNow. I'm sure it can be done.

@wetcoaster I didn't even consider porting out, I guess that says lots about my personality lol

But that is also a possibility. Though I would never recommend it as the loyalty and referrals would be gone forever.  

You should be able to switch to any number, talk to your bank about it. Don't people don't use call numbers with the bank because of simjacking, I actually heard that some prefer VoIp numbers instead because of it. Really give a call to your bank and see how you can change the number.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM only has roaming plans for the US. Other PM plans work while only in Canada.

@tigerwang1 wrote:

Actually I need to receive the text security code from bank when I travel in China, do you have any solution to that please?

@tigerwang1  Check with your bank to see if they support using an authenticator app instead of a text. If yes, then add that option for 2FA.

Another option is to setup something like VOIP.ms it has a feature to accept messages and forward them to your email. Add your VOIP.ms number as a 2FA number with your bank and you should be good to go.

Maybe also call your bank and ask them if they have a recommendation of a better way of doing this.

@tigerwang1 wrote:

S/He means porting your service to TextNow, closing your account at Public Mobile.*

You want to make sure that your financial institution accepts VOIP numbers for 2FA.

* Or you could just get a new TextNow number and put that as your contact number for your 2FA.

tigerwang1

You found switch to the new TextNow number, test it before leaving. Then when you are back you can switch back to your public number

tigerwang1

Actually I need to receive the text security code from bank when I travel in China, do you have any solution to that please?

tigerwang1

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Keep your PM SIM in an old phone in Canada, plugged in and on. Forward calls to a VOIP number that you access through a data plan from a local provider at your destination.

There are apps that forward text messages, but I have no personal experience with them.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@tigerwang1 wrote:

Can the PM# roam in the U.S. only?

@tigerwang1  Yes.

Is there any way to receive the text to PM# when I travel in China?  No.Maybe

Thanks.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Sorry USA roaming only

You could open an account with TextNow they will give you second number (Canadian or USA your choice) and provide free texting and talking to North America, you can use them with WiFi or data (with the local provider). I use it to turn my 15 plan into unlimited.

Also, if you can set to forward all your calls to that number (if you choose Canadian number with TextNow) check it in your calling settings

Need Help? Let's chat.