cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any issue cancelling auto pay and not topping up for a few weeks while I'm away?

Lomax
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm going to the US on Sunday for about 5 weeks. My renewal date is around the 20th or so, and I'm currently set up for auto pay to my CC with that bonus, and a few others for freinds referred bonuses etc.

I would prefer not to pay for a service I'm not using, so would there be any issue not renewing my phone top up accont until I return mid april? Will this cause me any problems regarding what packages I can buy, or various discounts that I currently have? Essnetially I want to leave everything how it is now, but just put an "idle" period between when I'm set to renew (lets say the 20th) and when I return (say Apr 15th) where I don't pay, and don't have service.

I got screwed around by Virgin a few yers ago doing this, since they said that after I put my account on hold (at a fee no less), when I returned I could then only buy newer, more expensive packs full of things I didn't need, and was a big reason for switching here.

When I signed up 2 years ago, they told me that my number would remain mine for 3 months after I stopped paying, and it shouldn't be a problem, however I'm just looking for confirmation that there won't be any unpleasant surprises. Sadly I have a cynic's perspective on cell providers.

Finally, how do I do this? Just remove auto pay from my account and all done? Phone just stops working on the 20th? Then come back around april 15th and put it back?

5 REPLIES 5

turky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Lomax wrote:

Many thanks for all the great replies, confirming what I thought and hoped.

As for the balance, I don't think so, but I've never really used it like that. Just when I signed up, I gave them my CC, set up auto pay, and never thought about it again until now, money comes out each month like a normal cell plan. I'm aware there are slight differences between a postpaid and pay as you go, but for intents and purposes I was just using it like a regular cell plan.

Have you checked self serve to see if you have a balance? If there is a balance that would be used on your billing date. You should confirm that.

Lomax
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Many thanks for all the great replies, confirming what I thought and hoped.

As for the balance, I don't think so, but I've never really used it like that. Just when I signed up, I gave them my CC, set up auto pay, and never thought about it again until now, money comes out each month like a normal cell plan. I'm aware there are slight differences between a postpaid and pay as you go, but for intents and purposes I was just using it like a regular cell plan.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Do you have any money on your balance?

If you have cost of your plan it will be deducted and you will renew. Removing autopay works when you have less than they plan-rewards on your account. If that's the case you can report your phone lost until you come back.

In either case when you come back you will still be on the last plan and system will wait for you to make FULL payment, your referral rewards should kick in later.

Have a safe trip

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @Lomax , 

Absolutely, Once you take your Autopay off your account. It will stop the payment and it won't renew your plan anymore.

You can put your account on "suspend" up to 90 days.

After 90 days You will lose your phone number.

So as long as you renew the plan within 90 days you will be fine.

Have a Safe Trip,

Cheers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Lomax just remove the autopay credit card, and you should be good to go. You would have 90 days before you account is cancelled as you stated.

@Lomax wrote:

I'm going to the US on Sunday for about 5 weeks. My renewal date is around the 20th or so, and I'm currently set up for auto pay to my CC with that bonus, and a few others for freinds referred bonuses etc.

I would prefer not to pay for a service I'm not using, so would there be any issue not renewing my phone top up accont until I return mid april? Will this cause me any problems regarding what packages I can buy, or various discounts that I currently have? Essnetially I want to leave everything how it is now, but just put an "idle" period between when I'm set to renew (lets say the 20th) and when I return (say Apr 15th) where I don't pay, and don't have service.

I got screwed around by Virgin a few yers ago doing this, since they said that after I put my account on hold (at a fee no less), when I returned I could then only buy newer, more expensive packs full of things I didn't need, and was a big reason for switching here.

When I signed up 2 years ago, they told me that my number would remain mine for 3 months after I stopped paying, and it shouldn't be a problem, however I'm just looking for confirmation that there won't be any unpleasant surprises. Sadly I have a cynic's perspective on cell providers.

Finally, how do I do this? Just remove auto pay from my account and all done? Phone just stops working on the 20th? Then come back around april 15th and put it back?

Need Help? Let's chat.