cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account issues

Obeytaylor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm trying to gain access to my account but the thing is I can't get into my old email so I'm locked out of my selfservice account but I wanna change my email 

14 REPLIES 14

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe try the Forgot your password? link instead on both accounts. You don't need to go through with it if you get the emails...just to see what inbox it goes to.

Aha! Now you're onto something. Indeed, a forgot password attempt generated 2 emails. Inspecting the message headers tells all. Both messages were the same:

To: "new@example.com" <old@example.com>

Where "old@example.com" is the original username used for the actual SMTP message routing, and "new@example.com" is the updated one, which is just a display name. So, it might not be immediately apparent that the to: address is not actually what is displayed without close inspection...

Thanks all for participating in my exploration of this. Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@Nezgar I am in this situation. Alan has confirmed that @geopublic 's assertion is correct. Further, I just requested an account reset using the my new account username and it was delivered to the original email used to activate my account.

By "account reset" do you mean "change password" in selfserve?

I tried "change password" on my other account that has never had the username (email) changed and do not get an email notification when doing so there either.

Maybe try the Forgot your password? link instead on both accounts. You don't need to go through with it if you get the emails...just to see what inbox it goes to.

@Luddite wrote:

@Nezgar I am in this situation. Alan has confirmed that @geopublic 's assertion is correct. Further, I just requested an account reset using the my new account username and it was delivered to the original email used to activate my account.

By "account reset" do you mean "change password" in selfserve?

I tried "change password" on my other account that has never had the username (email) changed and do not get an email notification when doing so there either.

@Nezgar I am in this situation. Alan has confirmed that @geopublic 's assertion is correct. Further, I just requested an account reset using the my new account username and it was delivered to the original email used to activate my account. Currently, at present, this is not an issue as both email accounts are active. However, there may be some problems later when I cancel the original email address. 

Fortunately, the ticketing system, and moderators, recognize my username for account issues.

Just another PM quirk. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@geopublic wrote:

@Nezgar  Do this simple test. Try resetting the password on your account. Which email does the reset link go to? My guess eould be the one you used during activation and not the one you changed in your profile.

Just reset the password successfully. It did not send an e-mail notification to either e-mail address. (Both are still active) Also adding/deleting security questions does not send an email. Not sure if anything does?

Interestingly, I am receiving their newsletter type emails to both addresses though as well...

@Nezgar wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Nezgar  Again, you can change the username to be wahtever you want. The email that was used when activating your sim is the email that has been associated with that account. Changing username in your profile will not  change that email.

In my case, after changing the username using the "change username" option under "My profile" in selfserve, even the mod saw no trace of the old e-mail address anywhere in my account, which seems to contradict your assertion...

@Nezgar  Do this simple test. Try resetting the password on your account. Which email does the reset link go to? My guess eould be the one you used during activation and not the one you changed in your profile.

@geopublic wrote:

@Nezgar  Again, you can change the username to be wahtever you want. The email that was used when activating your sim is the email that has been associated with that account. Changing username in your profile will not  change that email.

In my case, after changing the username using the "change username" option under "My profile" in selfserve, even the mod saw no trace of the old e-mail address anywhere in my account, which seems to contradict your assertion...

@Nezgar wrote:

@Dunkman, @geopublic 

So interestingly after having a mod check my account after changing the e-mail address using the "change username" option under "My profile" in selfserve, the mod indicated back to me that "I checked the email address on that and it is what is supposed to be" ...

So this would imply that in fact the "change username" option under "My profile" does cover all the bases... (login name AND profile email address). The email address associated with the community account would obviously be separate...

@Dunkman, @geopublic 

So interestingly after having a mod check my account after changing the e-mail address using the "change username" option under "My profile" in selfserve, the mod indicated back to me that "I checked the email address on that and it is what is supposed to be" ...

So this would imply that in fact the "change username" option under "My profile" does cover all the bases... (login name AND profile email address). The email address associated with the community account would obviously be separate...

@Nezgar wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Obeytaylor  you cannot change your email using selfserve you need to contact the moderators for that.

Im wondering about this, because I used the "change username" option under "My profile" in selfserve for my 1st account to a different email address so I could sign up a 2nd account with the original email address. This worked just fine for that purpose...

But that page does read "changing your Username will not change the email address on your profile." So is the email address hidden somewhere that maybe only a mod can change?

@Nezgar Correct only the moderators can change the email on the account.

@Nezgar wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Obeytaylor  you cannot change your email using selfserve you need to contact the moderators for that.

Im wondering about this, because I used the "change username" option under "My profile" in selfserve for my 1st account to a different email address so I could sign up a 2nd account with the original email address. This worked just fine for that purpose...

But that page does read "changing your Username will not change the email address on your profile." So is the email address hidden somewhere that maybe only a mod can change?

@Nezgar 

Only moderator can change the initial email address for self service account that is needed for options like reset password, etc.

@geopublic wrote:

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Obeytaylor wrote:

I'm trying to gain access to my account but the thing is I can't get into my old email so I'm locked out of my selfservice account but I wanna change my email 

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you're locked out, you can try again in 1 hour.

Try resetting your password if you remember your security question answer.

If not, contact moderators for help. Only moderators can change your email address.

Need Help? Let's chat.