cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g plan but lte+ speed

yanot
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I am new to PM and my plan is in 3g speed. however, i can see in my phone lte+. My question is.. is my speed throttled to 3g speed while using lte band? Can anyone explain? thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

Nathan08

I have basic data needs, and I find that 3g by far is fast enough for what I need - Browsing the web, checking social media, google maps, the odd youtube video... I tested Netflix and that works fine as well.  I can see how heavy data users would probably take issue with the speed, but for basic users, 3g is fine.

@yanot wrote:

Hi

I am new to PM and my plan is in 3g speed. however, i can see in my phone lte+. My question is.. is my speed throttled to 3g speed while using lte band? Can anyone explain? thank you!

Your phone displaying LTE+ in your signal meter is not an indication of speed, but rather the type of network that your'e connected to. I suspect that some phones may even say "LTE+" even when connected in a way that the network can't provide those faster speeds (if unthrottled) for marketing reasons.

As stated earlier, since you have just joined Public Mobile, it's also possible that you'll get full LTE speeds for the first 48 hours.

It really depends on what you are using your account for. If you need to upload youtube videos or high resolution live stream from a high end phone or laptop which can handle the video work load; then LTE vs 3G speed will be noticeable. It won't be noticeable if you are just texting and reading mainly text based web pages. It really depends on specific users' use case.

@hellsbells05 wrote:

I switched from LTE to 3G with Public and I don't notice any difference.

hellsbells05
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched from LTE to 3G with Public and I don't notice any difference.

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I like this option of having plans with 3g speed at a lower price... why pay more for LTE when 3G is good enough (for me at least Smiley LOL ) ?  Thanks Public Mobile !

@yanot wrote:

thank you for the quick response! it feels fast even in 3g. 

It will take a couple days before you notice the throttling.  Welcome to Public Mobile.

yanot

thank you for the quick response! it feels fast even in 3g. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yanot wrote:

Hi

The 3G plan can use 3G and/or LTE.  But LTE is capped at 3Mbps.  You can call it as LTE lite if you will.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@yanot wrote:

Hi

@yanot  You are correct  You are currently connected to PM's LTE network but you a throttled to 3 Mbps because you are on a 3G data plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.