cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day texting add-on

ohitora
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile has many great features but lacks a 30-day texting add-on. Perhaps If many of us give this post a thumbs –up then maybe PM may notice and add a 30-day texting add-on.

27 REPLIES 27

@LenK, I use Fongo as my backup in case my service from Public Mobile is interrupted.  At times, I’ve had weeks on end where signals have been bad for 3G voice, but for whatever reason, 4G connection for data still worked, margin at best.

i get calls that I prefer to not come to my desk phone, as they’re not work related, but personal. I need to be able to receive the call, or have a message left on my personal device, and when the PM can’t receive or take voice mail, it always seems to failover to Fongo.

LenK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I used Fongo for quite a while, paying that little extra for the texting. I had missed calls, dropped calls, but the final straw was when I would place a call and it would not go through, sometimes until much later, and there was no way to cancel the call. I think the biggest problem with it was when there was a marginal Wi-Fi connection, or when it switched between Wi-Fi and data. I would have been happy to use it only with the data connection, but that would mean turning off Wi-Fi for everything. If there were a setting in Fongo to use data only that may have been the answer.

Some days at work, I can not get a ringing phone, but I have call forwarding setup on PM to go to Fongo and ring, or take a message.

Can you please explain why you use that setup?

It would not avoid the issues that I had with Fongo, would it?

Thanks

@LenK, yes, that was a typo.  sorry for that!

Fongo, is another option,but to get the texting to work with those who do not use Fongo, there is an additional cost.  I use the free version strictly as my back up in case Public Mobile leaves me without service, or I’m having connection issues with Public Mobile.

Some days at work, I can not get a ringing phone, but I have call forwarding setup on PM to go to Fongo and ring, or take a message.

LenK

Thanks for your reply, stonechucker.

I guess you meant textnow. I have tried a couple of these Wi-Fi calling apps, but not this one. That's how I ended up with the 3 gig data-only plan on Fido. However, most of the recent reviews are very negative. There are positive reviews, but one five-star said "Fix the dropped calls and it would work pefect". To me, dropped calls would knock a couple of stars off at least. However, I will give it a try, and perhaps reply again.

I think that it might not be a bad idea to have an add on for extra text messages (not unlimited).  Ie.  400 texts for $10 dollars that would roll over month to month.  Specifically made for the  $10  50/50 plan.  That would be great!

@LenK, if I may offer you a suggestion, I think you’ll find this attractive.

There is an app available that allows phone calls and SMS and MMS, at no cost to you, but is ad supported.  It’s called rextnow.  It is available in both the Apple AppStore, and the Google PlayStore.

you will receive a new phone number, and I believe there is the option to port in your own number, if you wish.

This would allow you to drop the Public Mobile for the calling and texting, and use your free data plan for 2 years from Fido.

LenK

I had a data-only add on with my wife's Fido account. I was trying to use the data add-on with a calling app, but I found that to be unreliable. I also have a dual SIM phone, which I thought would allow me to use the data with the Fido account, and talk and text with PM. After some education and many frustrations, I found that simply does not work. Even though my PM 50/50 plan does not have any data, I cannot switch data over to the Fido SIM. That causes my PM connection to fail. So I started looking at the cost of a data add-on with PM. If one wishes to use a data add-on for texting only, then the $30 add on for 1GB is not bad. The 200 Mb add-on brings the cost up to $50 per gigabyte. I was paying $15 a month for 3 GB at Fido, a cost of $5 per gigabyte, and when I phoned to cancel it, thinking that I could use PM only, they offered to continue the add-on for 2 years at no cost!
I still appreciate the 50/50 plan, and I realize that when it comes to the data issue, I'm comparing apples and oranges to some extent, but data costs of 6 to 10 times that of another carrier seems a bit ridiculous.
It seems to me that a texting add-on would be very appropriate.

ohitora

I do prefer the now awesome PM's $10 plan with add- ons over Bell especially since PM utilizes Bells towers so PM's reception is just as good as Bell's. But you are incorrect regarding your comment that I was referring to an old now defunct Bell plan. The original Bell plan cost $15.75 but recently they reduced the cost to $15 and added some extra features. Also Bell allows one to keep their extra loyalty minutes as long as they continue with Bell. Presently I am keeping my Bell plan while I try out PM on my older iPhone just to make certain PM works for me. Even though PM has the great feature which allows add-ons to roll over until they get used up, I have encountered several glitches where texts and data are mysteriously used up despite my phone not even been turned on. 

@srlawren wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

But then why PM when Bell's $15 prepaid plan offers unlimited international texts/video/picture messaging - with 200 local voice. I think PM $10 (which can easily become $8) monthly plan is the way to go.

@ohitora wrote:

I am cut and pasting my Bell plan below - Because I have been with Bell for more then 2 years this plan also includes 200minutes of free Voice calls - which I seldom use. The unlimited texting is what keeps me there.

Prepaid Pay Per Use 20¢
$15.00/mo.
  • $0.20/minute anytime local minutes
  • Unlimited Canada-wide, U.S. & international text, picture and video messages2
  • $0.50/minute for Canada & U.S. long distance within Canada3
  • Pay-per-use rates will apply if full monthly rate plan payment is unsuccessful4

So @ohitora, both you and @katiatall are with Bell?

Doesn't sound like that plan you posted (that you've been on for 2+ years) is still available, so it's not terribly useful to compare to PM's current offerings.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@katiatall wrote:

But then why PM when Bell's $15 prepaid plan offers unlimited international texts/video/picture messaging - with 200 local voice. I think PM $10 (which can easily become $8) monthly plan is the way to go.

@ohitora wrote:

I am cut and pasting my Bell plan below - Because I have been with Bell for more then 2 years this plan also includes 200minutes of free Voice calls - which I seldom use. The unlimited texting is what keeps me there.

Prepaid Pay Per Use 20¢
$15.00/mo.
  • Pay-per-use rates will apply if full monthly rate plan payment is unsuccessful4

So @ohitora, both you and @katiatall are with Bell?

Doesn't sound like that plan you posted (that you've been on for 2+ years) is still available, so it's not terribly useful to compare to PM's current offerings.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ohitora

Prepaid Pay Per Use 20¢
$15.00/mo.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@katiatall wrote:

I think you need to show us that plan. 

For $15 Bell prepaid shows the following:

Linky

Prepaid 100 minutes
$15.00/mo.
  • 100 anytime local minutes
  • 100 Canada-wide, US & international text messages2
  • $0.20/minute for additional local minutes
  • $0.30/message for additional Canada-wide text messages5
  • $0.40/message for additional U.S. & international text messages2
  • $0.50/message for picture and video messages
  • Pay-per-use rates will apply if full monthly rate plan payment is unsuccessful

So the biggies are potential extra charges for everything, not unlimited txt and no long distance included.  

Now Koodo does offer a $15 unlimited txt plan, but you need to buy talk and data boosters, which are reasonalble, especially for those who speak little. 

katiatall

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ohitora here's the thing:  you already have choice.  If you want unlimited texting for the 30 days, you have to step up to a plan that includes it.  If you don't care about data, then the cheapest plan is a 30 day, unlimtied province-wide talk, unlimited global texting, and no data plan for $25.  If you would like a little data and/or Canada-wide calling, your cheapest option is the 30 day, unlimited Canada-wide talk, unlimited globably texting, and 500mb of 3G-speed data for $30.  These plans both offer a ton of value for the cost.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

katiatall

LOL ----  You are doing it again and obviously can't seem to help yourself - in my opinion we should all help each other to gain BRAVOS. I try to BRAVO all posts in the hope that I am helping a fellow member. Anyways enough of this, and I sincerely hope we can put this difference of opinion behind us.

@ohitora wrote:

Since you are not a moderator so what it this  "We used to have".  Please accept my apology if I am wrong but unless you are a PM/Telus executive or moderator you should not and cannot set policy.

I also apologise that my comments may be seem bit harsh but as mentioned above, if you are not a PM principal you then are just like the rest of us subscribers and should not take it upon yourself to police “bravos” and be claiming to set policy.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ohitora wrote:

Public Mobile has many great features but lacks a 30-day texting add-on. Perhaps If many of us give this post a thumbs –up then maybe PM may notice and add a 30-day texting add-on.

Sorry this isn't how Public Mobile works.  We used to have an Idea Lab for ideas but that was removed.  As well all plans come with unlimited International texting except the $10 50/50 plan which is a great plan for minimalists.  Adding an unlimited text option would not only defeat the purpose of this plan but it would have to be priced so that it didn't take away from the other plans as texting seems to be the major way of comunication for many people.

Sorry I guess in your 3 days here you know what is going on.  In my post I was stating that PM had the public lab where they would accept ideas.  They no longer do as they have decided on a more focused way of pushing new ideas to the public, which has included focus groups on conference calls and in person meetings.

I am not policing Bravos but with your mention of it makes me think you made the post to gain many Bravos to increase your potential for rewards.  Maybe if you had spent some time in your 3 days here and done some research you could have seen the History of the Public Lab and how PM has changed from that. 

I didn't think my post was aggressive or a  "policy setting" tone.  When I say "we" I mean the community as a whole not as considering myself part of the PM/Telus Corporation.

I do find your passive agressive response quite funny and not at all in line with how OUR community works

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

katiatall

Perhaps he should become a moderator - 

ohitora

Since you are not a moderator so what it this  "We used to have".  Please accept my apology if I am wrong but unless you are a PM/Telus executive or moderator you should not and cannot set policy.

I also apologise that my comments may be seem bit harsh but as mentioned above, if you are not a PM principal you then are just like the rest of us subscribers and should not take it upon yourself to police “bravos” and be claiming to set policy.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ohitora wrote:

Sorry this isn't how Public Mobile works.  We used to have an Idea Lab for ideas but that was removed.  As well all plans come with unlimited International texting except the $10 50/50 plan which is a great plan for minimalists.  Adding an unlimited text option would not only defeat the purpose of this plan but it would have to be priced so that it didn't take away from the other plans as texting seems to be the major way of comunication for many people.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ohitora wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ohitora

However this $10 limited plan that includes 50 Long Distance minutes is ideal for iPhone users that can in most cases text using iMessage. I also have a Bell plan with unlimited texting but most if not all of my texts go by iMessage and that is why I set up a PM account and will soon terminate my Bell plan.

smp99

you could use another texting app like TextMeNow that just uses data. Its free but you get another number with TextMeNow that is different than your PM number. Fongo also has texting but there is a small monthly fee.

Like others have said, this $10 plan is not designed for moderate to heavy texting. 

katiatall

@ohitora wrote:

So let me understand this. If I add the data add on I could of course use iMessage but how would I be able to text non Apple users?

If you go that route you may as well upgrade to a more expensive plan.

ohitora

So let me understand this. If I add the data add on I could of course use iMessage but how would I be able to text non Apple users?

@ohitora wrote:

Yes of course but then PM is not a good deal anymore.

@MacMe wrote:

If you need more texting, you can always purchase a data add-on and use one of the many texting apps available.

This particular plan ($10 50minutes/50texts) is geared towards a very specific user group. If it doesn't fit your needs you'll have to look at other options.

One of them is the data add-on (and considering that the data rolls over to your next billing cycle until used up, and "texting apps" don't use a lot of data unless you are sending a lot of pictures and videos... that $30/1MB CAN be a deal [mine lasted for nearly a year on exactly that usage pattern, bringing the monthly cost down to less than $3])

Public Mobile offers a wide variety of plans that are competetive if they fit your needs, but there are obviously all the other providers out there that have different plans on offer.

ohitora

But it still would be nice to have a choise.

@LEGO wrote:

@ohitora 

Highly unlikely, since all plans (except $10, Talk only and Data only plan) have unlimited International messages. 

The cost of such Add-on would be high and it would be better to upgrade your plan then relying on Add-on.

ohitora

Yes of course but then PM is not a good deal anymore.

@MacMe wrote:

If you need more texting, you can always purchase a data add-on and use one of the many texting apps available.

MacMe

LEGO

@ohitora 

Highly unlikely, since all plans (except $10, Talk only and Data only plan) have unlimited International messages. 

The cost of such Add-on would be high and it would be better to upgrade your plan then relying on Add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.