cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd cellphone not activated 12 days after SIM purchase (installed by Walmart)

esperanto41
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sent this private message to a mod 1 week ago; no results, except for query about my email etc.:

Paid for additional $10 account for second phone 2019-06-10 at Walmart:  New account #••••••••••••, new cell phone number ••••••••••. If I call that number, it goes straight to an answering machine, and doesn't ring on my new cell phone. Also, this number and account is not listed under my profile for my other (active) cell phone, phone number ••••••••••••, acct. #•••••••••••••••••. What is wrong? —Gene Keyes

Aaaargh. I wanted this new cellphone for a trip to California. 

21 REPLIES 21

esperanto41

Headache is ok, unless I start to think how many many many hours I've spent choosing a cellphone and plan and wrestling with Public Mobile.

As for that cheapo $17 Servo (which I got because of its dual SIM), I'll write that off, and get the cheapest flip phone I can find in Canada. Or just borrow my girlfriend;s LG 440, which I gave her.

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't buy anything from Aliexpress. I was looking for cheap guitar knock offs and the I see Gibson knockoffs from Aliexpress. You mean to tell me a Gibson lookalike cost $199. I don't trust it.

@esperanto41 wrote:

So the SIM intended for the new Servo cellphone works in my old cellphone (now used by girlfriend), but the SIM from hers does not work in my new Servo. That might be a clue that the phone itself doesn't function here (apart from sending my calls to my landline to a voicemail box). But that leaves the question: why don't I have an acknowledgement from Public Mobile of my second cellphone, which I paid for on automatic payment??

The email entered by Walmart is the same one already used on my Public Mobile Self Serve account.  AHA: I see a fine-print typo on my walmart paperwork: the email they put is "geme.keyes...", not "gene.keyes..." Let's see how I can handle that.

@esperanto41 Don't think your phone is compatible with PM. As for your account just use the incorrect email and you should be able to login.

@esperanto41  interesting well at least you know your accounts are active now, how is your headache lol

esperanto41

So the SIM intended for the new Servo cellphone works in my old cellphone (now used by girlfriend), but the SIM from hers does not work in my new Servo. That might be a clue that the phone itself doesn't function here (apart from sending my calls to my landline to a voicemail box). But that leaves the question: why don't I have an acknowledgement from Public Mobile of my second cellphone, which I paid for on automatic payment??

The email entered by Walmart is the same one already used on my Public Mobile Self Serve account.  AHA: I see a fine-print typo on my walmart paperwork: the email they put is "geme.keyes...", not "gene.keyes..." Let's see how I can handle that.

esperanto41

OK, I'll try my other phone, which I'll have to retrieve from my girlfriend. 😉 Maybe in half an hour.

@esperanto41 wrote:

I was going to buy a 2nd SIM in the US, but plans changed, so I'll get the Public Mobile US add-on instead. So I just have the one Public Mobile SIM in the phone, which is why it said "SIM1".

At first I thought the Servo phone was a cheapo lemon, but I see that my Master Card has charged the $11.50 for the new Public Mobile SIM. So I think maybe the problem is with Public Mobile.

@esperanto41  Try the SIM 2 slot eith your card. What happens?

esperanto41

I was going to buy a 2nd SIM in the US, but plans changed, so I'll get the Public Mobile US add-on instead. So I just have the one Public Mobile SIM in the phone, which is why it said "SIM1".

At first I thought the Servo phone was a cheapo lemon, but I see that my Master Card has charged the $11.50 for the new Public Mobile SIM. So I think maybe the problem is with Public Mobile.

@esperanto41 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you suggested, and it says "SIM1 calling" and then a few seconds later, "Call ended."

Meanwhile, I was trying to set up a new account, and right off the bat it says "Invalid SIM".

@esperanto41  The invalid sim is because the sim card already has been activated. Do you have another phone to try the sim in?

@esperanto41 ok i lost you there are you saying you have the 2 sims in one phone and 2 plans but one sim isn't working? right lol

esperanto41

Let me specify that, just as I seldom use a cellphone, and therefore have Public Mobile as a cheapo $10/mo. plan, so this is a new cheapo $17 dual-SIM "Servo"vcellphone from AliExpress.

ok so they did sign you up did you make an account you will need the email they signed you up with for your second phone

esperanto41

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you suggested, and it says "SIM1 calling" and then a few seconds later, "Call ended."

Meanwhile, I was trying to set up a new account, and right off the bat it says "Invalid SIM".

@esperanto41 wrote:

thought walmart did the red tape, as they had with my other cellphone; I have 3 xerox pages from their latest exercise. But I guess I'll have to do it again myself, and give a demerit to the mod who left me twisting in the wind for a week.

@esperanto41  Remove the sim wait 5 minutes reinsert card and power up your phone. Dial 611, what happens?

esperanto41

Thanks; I'll keep you posted.

@esperanto41 ok try to sign up your second phone you will need the number on your sim also use your first  phone number as a referal during the sign up process to get 10 bucks off  good luck! thats if they didnt sign you up but it seems possible they didnt

esperanto41

thought walmart did the red tape, as they had with my other cellphone; I have 3 xerox pages from their latest exercise. But I guess I'll have to do it again myself, and give a demerit to the mod who left me twisting in the wind for a week.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@esperanto41 did walmart even sign you up for the second sim? they would have had to do that separate from the first one?

@esperanto41  yea thems the rules unfortunately but on the bright side you will see whats going on in your account and there are occasions when you will need it

esperanto41

Thanks for the reply. I was intending to get the US add-on, but no one told me I'd need a second email and second account....bleah.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

you would need to create a 2nd account with a separate email  to see your other phone and if you are going to california you will have no service without a  U.S. add on

Need Help? Let's chat.