cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5GB data used in three days

byronrayne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well, I have been using cellular phones and am fairly knowledgable about how data is used and with what apps etc. For the last four years I had a data plan with Rogers and used "on average" 2.5-3GB of data monthly. I am just four days into my third month with public mobile and my usage States that I have used over 2.5 GB of data in three days. I have not used my phone in any different manner than I have over the last 5 plus years with any provider. The only difference that I know of was that I was camping in a community with poor cellular service for the three days. However, due to this I looked and used my phone less than I would have normally. 

Any thoughts on this?

25 REPLIES 25

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@byronrayne I can understand your frustration with this. I would check to make sure Wi-Fi assist and iCloud backups aren’t enabled on cellular. Those can cause unexpected usage. While your there, make sure certain apps don’t have access to cellular to begin with. The Wi-Fi assist step is below. All the best

Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

Also if any of these posts answers your question you should press the accept solution button.

byronrayne

I have looked at the usage and I did not see anything that seemed apparent. However, I find the self serve website incredibly slow and difficult to use. 

@byronrayne i see. sorry about that. that's alot of data to just go missing. what does it say in your self serve overview under "view my usage". you can atleast see how it was distributed throughout those 4 days. maybe your previous provider hacked you and used up your data....

yes the website is horrible... I don't think theyve changed the programming since pm opened in 2010

byronrayne

Oh I am not avoiding the question. I don't have the data stats ... It was not something I ever reset so it was not an accurate depiction of anything. Under the direction of the moderator I reset it on Aug 5 to track the usage for the remaining 1.5gb of data on my plan. 

I do not load photos to iCloud. I do back up on Google photos but it's set to only do this over wifi when I open the app

@byronrayne can you please show us a screenshot of your app data usage. it should be obvious what happened to your data. you keep avoiding the question..

also is your photos app configured to update your photos to the cloud? 

byronrayne

The moderators contacted and said that it was data usage. My concern is that I have always had 4 GB of data and consistently used that amount (2.5gb) over a month... Not in three days

@byronrayne have the moderators contacted you yet? check your inbox

byronrayne

thank you for the thoughts. Those are all things I pay attention to already

byronrayne

i don't do either of those when not in wifi.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure to turn off auto updates for apps and disable GPS.  Also if you download music and videos will use up your data.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Watching lengthy youtube videos would eat up data - also background app refresh and GPS will use data.  Also if not imperative you should turn off the setting "use data when poor Wifi reception".

@byronrayne maybe someone used your phone and watched YouTube etc. maybe your kids?

please check which app/apps are the cause

you can contact customer support mods if everything looks good on your end

type "data wrong"

(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

@byronrayne wrote:

The period in question is not a month long. It is Aug 1,2,3,4

@byronrayne  Go into your data usage stats and enter Aug 1 as the start date. You should be able fairly quickly to determine which App was the culprit.

@byronrayne Imessage will use data when wifi isn't avaialable and WiFi+ if your reception isn't great. Stay safe.  

byronrayne

The phone is an iPhone 8

byronrayne

The period in question is not a month long. It is Aug 1,2,3,4

byronrayne

I don't normally refer to the data stats in my phone. But I will be from now on

byronrayne

I had not used the data usage stats in my phone for a long time as there was not a need to. I will be from this point forward. 

byronrayne

I have looked at the public mobile data usage pages. My phone is set to only update over wifi. 

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM is a 30 day cycle, not monthly, maybe this is the issue.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@byronrayne hi is that usage data from your device or your self serve account?

if it's from your device, you may need to adjust the data usage cycle date to the day you started with pm

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@byronrayne Just go into your phone's data usage area and find out what up used up your data.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Is it possible that update on cellular is enabled as it seems you didn't have access to WiFi.

Does your phone data usage match public mobile data usage closely enough?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@byronrayne 

Did you check the data usage history page? It shows time stamps on when data was used.  

The Public mobile tracker is usually fairly accurate.  

Maybe some phone update?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@byronrayne what's the make and model of your phone? Thanks. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.