cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overcharged for texts

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Hello I am still being overcharged for texts doubled and once tripled(no i have not gone over the 160 character limit) and about eight or ten charges for imessages so far mods have done nothing to resolve this issue in over thee weeks is there any service around here?

6 REPLIES 6

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RossN wrote:

Hello I am still being overcharged for texts doubled and once tripled(no i have not gone over the 160 character limit) and about eight or ten charges for imessages so far mods have done nothing to resolve this issue in over thee weeks is there any service around here?

What are you seeing in the Self-Serve portal, under Plan and Add-Ons / Usage History?  Are you actually seeing Outgoing Text entries for the phone numbers you contacted, which you suspect should have been via iMessage?  Or are you seeing messages to 474663 (iMessage registration messages to iMessage servers)?

If the former, then are you able to confirm that messages were indeed sent has iMessage (i.e. remains as blue bubble), and they didn't get converted to SMS (you'll see a mix of blue and green bubbles in the thread, plus "Sent as Text Message" below the green bubble)?  You can disable conversion of iMessage to SMS via Settings --> Messages --> Send as SMS (Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable) -- tap slider so it goes left, leaving background white.  The default for this setting is to be enabled (background=green) which will attempt delivery via text if the iMessage delivery fails after some timeout period (e.g. your recipient doesn't have data for a period of time).

If the latter, then these are registration messages sent to Apple's servers triggered under a few conditions, such as toggling the iMessage or FaceTime settings, inserting a new/different SIM card into an iPhone, changing phone numbers, and others.  Generally, you'll see about 4-8 of these initially, and then you won't see these appear again, unless they're triggered by any of the conditions mentioned.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think @RossN is referring to being charged for 2 texts for a text that goes over 160 chars. It's not a money issue but a text count issue. 

Is it 160 chars or 140 chars? that may be the issue. I don't know if the char count also includes phone number and/or other header info. Also spaces count as 1 char and line breaks count as 2 chars

Does the blue bubble message(s) outbound count against 50 (and incoming also??)  I know green bubble do (as they are specifically SMS).

I'm not an iPhone user (was previously), so I'm not sure how MMS is actually sent on iMessage, whether it is always data, or 'can be' data or MMS.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can't be charged for double text. The $10 plan only gets 50 text. Keep in mind once you use all 50 you can't text till next month. Sure messages between imessenger won't use text but if you text someone using Android you will use your text even if using imessenger. Being prepaid you can only use what you pay for. Can't be charged for extras.

I am on the 10 dollar plan where you get 50 texts a month most of my messages are sent via imessage so that plan suits me fine as long as I dont pay double for each text, thks for your interest to bad the mods don't seem concerned

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

PM is a prepaid service so I'm confused as how you can be overcharged for anything. Which plan are you currently enrolled in ? Can you please send a screenshot of the billing history ?

Need Help? Let's chat.