cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone had success changing referal code?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hi my referal code is O0xxxxx   (not posting full code, only teh part in question).  As you can see is has both a "0" and "O", which can be confusing. Before i ask the moderators, just wondering if anyone  has had success getting their code changed?

thanks

26 REPLIES 26

@mimmo wrote:

I did ask the moderators and they said it was not possible.

Of course the translation of that statement is that no provision was made for moderators to change the codes as obviously it would NOT have been changeable back when the code was your phone number. If there were a need to change codes now on occasion I’m certain it couldn’t be too much effort to write the code to allow moderators to do it. This would also need to come with a way to verify the code isn’t already used. Maybe a few more requests to @Tiana_V could have someone look to see if it would be a big or little deal to allow this by request only if an existing code has confusing numbers/letters.

AE_Collector

Well that is too bad...should have buried him with it just in case he needed it.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

They do need to standardize the date.....weve had a long running joke about my late husbands 30 year fresh water fishing license. It's due to expire on March 1st 2031. It's too bad he expired 25 years before the license!

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo just had to say I kind of agree re automatic posting about contacting moderators. If anyone has gotten as far as having an account created here being an online only community, they can usually figure out the moderator part 😉 

Makes some sense on newbie questions sometimes but it's so automatic on almost every question, I know what you mean lol. 

mimmo

I did ask the moderators and they said it was not possible.

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You know I was thinking this myself because it took me a while to figure out that the last character in mine was the letter O. To be honest not a real issue for me as I haven't had a chance to provide it to anyone yet.

Guess I have to start pushing Public Mobile to my family more. 😁

@shep22 wrote:

@mimmo hi the more oval one is the number 0, the round one is the letter O  😁

I have seen some fonts where there's no difference between the two.

@mimmo , I actually know someone who has 00O in the the code. The two characters should have never been used.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think you can change your code, but I highly suggest you offer up your link or write a note underneath the characters indicating if it is a zero or an o.

@Anonymous 🙂

@AE_Collector wrote:

Yes I read the 7 with the slash as a 7. I too think that is a European standard and a good one at that! Too many ambiguous and confusing things created by not reading written things properly.

Date format is real high on my list. 20 years ago at Y2K was the perfect opportunity to have standardized a written format world wide but our neighbours to the south are usually the ones who wont go along with anything if it means they have to change. I like Year-Month-Date myself but Date-Month-Year is okay. Month-Day-Year makes the least sense to me except that it correlates to the way it is most often spoken, July 1, 2020.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector   Absolutely agree that the European standard is much clearer, and oh yeah, the NA date format absolutely makes no sense and kinda drives me crazy!  Personally I prefer the dd-mm-yy standard as in Europe, but either way it should be a standard way to know the sequence of the date so that there's never any doubt as to what date you're seeing, writing, or typing!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kselmak 

Y'mean kinda like 123-456-7890? 🙂

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo 

Wouldn't it be nice if they would let us choose our custom 5-10 character codes. I've seen 5 and 6 character codes.

Yes I read the 7 with the slash as a 7. I too think that is a European standard and a good one at that! Too many ambiguous and confusing things created by not reading written things properly.

Date format is real high on my list. 20 years ago at Y2K was the perfect opportunity to have standardized a written format world wide but our neighbours to the south are usually the ones who wont go along with anything if it means they have to change. I like Year-Month-Date myself but Date-Month-Year is okay. Month-Day-Year makes the least sense to me except that it correlates to the way it is most often spoken, July 1, 2020.

AE_Collector

@darlicious wrote:

@kb_mv 

So that is a "Z" and not a "7"?

@darlicious That is the number 17 in the picture I included.

@kb_mv 

So that is a "Z" and not a "7"? Out of habit when writing restaurant bills I've always crossed my sevens to differentiate from a one and put a slash thru a zero.

@mimmo 

You could always write the numbers and print the letters so "0O2Z17" would  be as follows:

zeroOtwoZoneseven

@Naepalm wrote:

@kb_mv I used to work in distribution lots of numbers and letters and a Co worker Daniel used to do that I thought it was genious. He also used to put a horizontal line through the z to show it as a z not an s.

@Naepalm I used to cross my 7's and have a hook on my 1's, but I got that from living in Europe. I had to drop those in my current job as it could cause confusion. Maybe Europe is where I go the slash too. Never crossed my Z's as Z's and S's face opposite directions.

Untitled.png

@Naepalm wrote:

@kb_mv I used to work in distribution lots of numbers and letters and a Co worker Daniel used to do that I thought it was genious. He also used to put a horizontal line through the z to show it as a z not an s.

@Naepalm OIC or is that 01c geez now I’m confused lol

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo I would definetly reach out to them and ask. Or ask Tiana. Public should refrain from using zero's or S as it can look like a 5. My referal code has the letter O in it. And a few friends have told me hey it doesnt work. Then I have to explain its the letter not the number. I end up just giving my wifes code which js numbers and 1 letter lol

@mimmo 

My referral code is all letters except for the number 4 they decided to throw in the 5th position and followed it with a letter O. Thus it looks like this (Note: first 4 letters are for example only) ABCD4O which tends to make one read the last part as 40 (Forty). Honestly I dont know what they were thinking back a year or so when they changed from phone numbers to these 6 digit codes. There MUST have been a way to eliminate 0, O, 1, l and maybe Q from the assigned letters/digits. 

After always giving my code as “ABCD 4 Oh, (not 40)” I finally realized that my wife’s referral code is easier to give out and went to work at getting her more referrals.

AE_Collector

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@shep22   yes i know .  its different however when writing down on a piece of paper.    i guess its not so bad as they are next to each other.   will wait till i close my current ticket with them  changing selfserve official email address not username.  had to use SIMon to change self-serve username as i could not find the link to change it  under my profile.    hijacking my own thread  lol

@mimmo  when I write my code for someone, which includes 0's and O's, I slash the zeros with a diagonal line. Not sure where I picked that up from but it helps. PS: The pic is not my referral code LOL.

Untitled.png

mimmo

@shep22   yes i know .  its different however when writing down on a piece of paper.    i guess its not so bad as they are next to each other.   will wait till i close my current ticket with them  changing selfserve official email address not username.  had to use SIMon to change self-serve username as i could not find the link to change it  under my profile.    hijacking my own thread  lol

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo hi the more oval one is the number 0, the round one is the letter O  😁

mimmo

@Jb456  yes i can use the link, if i am sending it by email et. but if I am writing it down  its another story, especially with my doctor's calligraphy. 🙂   

With all due respect, I am aware of the process of contacting moderators. I know its habit to post all that  info,  but I think it should be done sparingly ie only to new members, or if someone asks how to contact moderators.  

@kselmak that's a good idea about lowercase o and the line through the 0,   will attempt to reach out to mods.  SIMon here I come. lol

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I know somebody who tried and they were refused at the time.

She just crosses zeros and writes small o,.

Any time you have chance send the link instead 

I would have been more persistent if I was her, and I would advise you to be as well.

If you do succeed, please let us know

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

I don't recall ever reading that on forums.

Some use the referral link if the code is difficult to figure out. Can you not use that?

Contact moderators and let us know the outcome. Two ways to reach them.

1-

Simon.JPG

2- or via private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(I know you're an Oracle and know how to contact Moderators) I wrote it for others reading.

Need Help? Let's chat.