cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY DOES MY MOBILE BROWSING GETS SLOWER AT SOMETIME?

frankmanny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why does my internet browing or streaming get slower towards the end of the cycle when  I am on fixed data plan....say 4GB data plané even when I still have some data left.

21 REPLIES 21

@aip0401 wrote:

Public Mobile has no need to slow down your data towards the end of your cycle.  Every plan is prepaid, so if you go over, you simply get cut off unless you top up with a data add-on.  It's as simple as that.

I agree with you, but the person who was originally asking this question was never even a Public Mobile customer. That person is using Chatr Wireless.

aip0401
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile has no need to slow down your data towards the end of your cycle.  Every plan is prepaid, so if you go over, you simply get cut off unless you top up with a data add-on.  It's as simple as that.

johnny142

Switch to public mobile! It’s cheaper and less hassle! I have no patience for speaking to customer call centres anyway! Some people say this is a con to public mobile but I personally think it’s awesome that I no longer have to deal with other service providers on the phone that are not very helpful most of the time!

@frankmanny wrote:

Yes I am using chatr

Unbelievable!  Do you go to the grocery store to get advice on repairing your car?  How hard is it to consult your own provider for information about their service.  Let me spoon feed you.  Take a look at the FAQ link.  Once your data allotment is used up, your data speed drops to 64 kbps which is pretty much unusable except for maybe receiving an email.  As others have advised, if you don't like your current service, how about giving this one a test drive.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/content/faq/unlimited_inzone_ttd_plans_faq#unlimited_q8

@frankmanny, maybe you should consider changing to Public Mobile.  There's no slowing down of your data, and when it's used up, it stops.

Other benefits include no zone coverage and a better network across the country.

@frankmanny wrote:

Yes I am using chatr

So why are you on Public Mobile asking about Chatr services?  Not sure why you came on here with this information when it doesn't affect anyone on the Public Mobile network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

frankmanny

Yes I am using chatr

@frankmanny wrote:

hello All,

Like I said in my question above, I usually get text notification that " You are about to exhaust the your 3G of your subcriprtion afterwhch your internet will be on 2GB and  as soon as  do some streaming again,and I will get a second message saying that "You  have used up your 3G and your internet will be slower as it will be on 2G before the end of your plan"

And onece I get that, I can no longer stream even even if I have dat balance that would have enble me do so.

I don't think you are using Public Mobile as there is no system like that at all.  PM doesn't even run a 2G.

ETA:  above post beat me that is what happens starting post and walking away before posting.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@frankmanny wrote:

hello All,

Like I said in my question above, I usually get text notification that " You are about to exhaust the your 3G of your subcriprtion afterwhch your internet will be on 2GB and  as soon as  do some streaming again,and I will get a second message saying that "You  have used up your 3G and your internet will be slower as it will be on 2G before the end of your plan"

And onece I get that, I can no longer stream even even if I have dat balance that would have enble me do so.

@frankmanny wrote:

hello All,

Hello

Are you a Public Mobile customer?  Public Mobile sends no such text message to customers. In fact, Public Mobile does not have any system in place to slow down your internet after you used up your data amount.  At Public Mobile, your data services stop working completely when you've used up your data amount.

If your provider is in fact sending you that message, you're a customer at a different provider.  In addition, Public Mobile doesn't have a 2g network.  Are you subscribed to Chatr?

frankmanny

hello All,

frankmanny

Hi, I appreciate your effort round the topic raised but I do not really mean what you meant.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@frankmanny wrote:

I want this knowledge to go round at the end of the day with some evidence

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say but are you asking others to provide some kind of proof to you that there's no issue?

It's actually on you to provide evidence that there is something wrong, not the other way around. 🙂

frankmanny

I want this knowledge to go round at the end of the day with some evidence

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@frankmanny wrote:

I the case of US I i don't it happens with a fixed data plan

Pretty much gonna echo what everyone else said based on personal experience.

If you are truly convinced that something's amiss and you don't believe us 🙂 then you can contact a moderator to see if there's a problem but really - what's in it for PM by doing this?

I think it would make more sense for a devious plot to INCREASE rather than decrease your speed as your plan went on to encourage you to use more data quicker so you'd be needing a sweet, juicy, almost-all-profit data add-on once you ran out. Smiley LOL

(And NO I don't think there's any such conspiracies!!)

frankmanny

I the case of US I i don't it happens with a fixed data plan

frankmanny

Yes is been all same ..... does it me mean people are not aware of this ?

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have heard stories about speedtest speeds being faster than in the end of the cycle, but I have never experienced that problem myself.  Not that speedtest is a good way to test speed, in that it can be gamed rather easily.

I cannot see why Telus would deliberately slow down your speed at the end of your cycle.  Nothing to gain from it.   The only explanation I can think of is other users are pounding the network at the end of your billing cycle, but even that does not make sense.

I wish Canadian carriers would do what American carriers do,  you get a set amount of quota, and when you go over that, your bandwidth gets throttled.  Annoying, of course, but you still have some internet, albiet slow. 

xcelone

@frankmanny wrote:

Why does my internet browing or streaming get slower towards the end of the cycle when  I am on fixed data plan....say 4GB data plané even when I still have some data left.

how long have you been encountering this problem for? Has it been the same pattern for many months?

frankmanny

That doesn't really be the cause..

Speeds don't get slower at the end of a billing cycle. There is no reason to do that.  In fact, if they did do that, they would risk making the customer unhappy and risk him or her not renewing.

Cellular data speeds have always been very inconsistent.  You can do multiple tests standing still in one spot consecutively and get download speed ranging anywhere from 5Mbps to 300Mbps (those numbers are examples only).  There are also many different frequencies that your phone could be connected to at any give time, which can even switch multiple times when you are stationary.

vogelhut

Your cellular data will use the cell network, so check that you have as many bars as possible to ensure full speeds. You may have luck in different rooms of your house depending on how close you live to a cell tower. 

As for the conspiracy of Public purposely slowing down your data towards the end of the pay period, I'm sorry to say that it's all in your head. 

Need Help? Let's chat.