cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to reward system

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Hi all,

Can't find where I read this on the forum, but a mod/PM employee said a couple months ago that they were thinking about a updating the reward system...

If possible to know, where are you up to in this process? ( @Jeremy_M)

Also, and mainly, is there a possibility for the eventual update to negatively influence rewards already acquired (loyalty, refer-a-friend)? Or would these be grandfathered?

I am asking because I am on legacy plan, considering a change to new plans, and my calculations for price are taking into account the rewards as they are... But I would feel fooled if it were to change in a month (or 6, 12 or more) from now in a way that would disadvantage me...

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I understand your situation a little better now as to why the 90-day plans and promos won't be ideal for your unique situation.

It can still work out if you look at creative ways such as buying a data add-on and then use the data to make free calls using Fongo app or the Google Hangout dialer, etc.  Data add-ons don't expire like plans... they are good until used up.  Also, data coverage is nationwide and not limited to home province. 

Finding 7 friends to refer can be a challenge.  However, the Oracles have recommended to PM that the next promo plan coincide with an extra referral bonus (data and/or LD minutes, and/or one time cash incentive to both parties).  PM is actively looking to grow and already have brainstormed a number of promo ideas.  Lets see how it goes in the next few months.. 

Problem is, much of the current plans doesn't really make sense according to my situation.

My current plan: legacy $28/month, Canada-wide + text. I pay at leat once every 120 days (in order to stay inactive less than 90 days), but not every month. With equivalent (or cheaper) pricing, I might consider paying year-round for my plan (but I will definitively not pay more per month AND pay year-round...).

With the new plans, first I lose the ability of paying now and then only on the months I need, because to have good pricing I need to pay for 90 days at the time instead of 30 days. Also, I can't go over 60 inactive days in a year if I want to get the loyalty reward (in my case, $3/month). To get ok pricing, I either have to switch to provincial-wide, but I not sure I would benefit from the change as I work 3-4 months in another province every year, or to get a LOT of friends referals...

Indeed, my only options to pay same price or less are the following (taking into account $2 referal and $3 loyalty): the current $25 ($22 for me) promo (and giving-up in the process Canada-wide for Province-wide), or giving up the text option and pay $20 (province-wide) or $25 (canada-wide) for talk only.

My last options: 1) find at least 7 (!) friends referal to get the same pricing and the same plan, or more to get cheaper plan.

2) Pay part of the year for Canada-wide, when needed, and the remaining months province-wide. But in this case the current province-wide promo plan will be gone the next time I would want to switch back to it, so in the end I am kind of stuck/confused!

Anyways, that's my situation and I am fully aware it doesn't represent most peoples... 😉

imm1304

You're welcome!  

Since you are already active in the community, you can expect a steady community reward if you keep up this level of participation.  

Most newer plans except for the talk only plan are cheaper than the legacy plans.  If you want to use mobile data, then the new 90-day plans will offer better value.  

Any specific plan you had in mind from the new plans??

Ok great, thanks @imm1304!

imm1304

Hey @Someone_here,

If you change from legacy to one of the current reward eligible plan, you stand to gain the following rewards:

1. Loyalty reward.  To be calculated retroactively from 2015(?) when the new PM launced.  So you will see loyalty reward of at least $2 per 30 days ($1/30 days for each year you have been with PM since the re-launch).

2.  Autopay reward:  $2/30 days for registering a credit or debit-visa card for auto renewal.

3. Community rewards:  varies based on your participation in this community for the month in question and can vary from $2 to $6 per 30 days if you are a regular participant.  

4. Referral reward:  $1/30days for each new person you refer who signs up on one of the 30 or 90-day plan.

There was some talk about revamping the referral reward system in the last year or so.  This was due to bugs that were preventing people from getting the referral reward they deserved.  Mods had to get involved and manually enter the referred numbers a second time to fix this.  Since then, PM has sorted out several bugs and most of the systems are functioning much better.    As @NDesai said, its unlikely that the rewards structure will be modified much anytime soon.  

Thanks!
The thread you linked isn't the one I read, but it contains more information for sure! I hadn't seen that promo idea before, thanks for the link.
The thread I read might have been referring to something like that back-to-school promo. Anyways, good to have your insight about what has been discussed or not 🙂

@Someone_here wrote:

Maybe, I'm not sure anymore... But I think it was dated 2015, so a while ago...
What's the difference between "referral promotion" and "refer-a-friend reward"?

Refer-a-friend rewards is a part of the rewards system where you get $1 per every referral. A while ago, an idea was posted to bring up back to school promo as a referral promo and offer something more than a dollar like extra credit to both parties. This idea was approved by public mobile and considered it to bring that sometime in the future. At the moment, they haven't told when exactly they will bring that. 

SD08

@Someone_here

Anything you may have heard or read in that regard was likely mere speculation by members. Given how secretive PM is on how the community rewards are calculated, for example, I find it extremely unlikely that PM staff would let slip anything of this nature ahead of time.

Maybe, I'm not sure anymore... But I think it was dated 2015, so a while ago...
What's the difference between "referral promotion" and "refer-a-friend reward"?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I don't think that's true that Public Mobile will be updating their rewards system. It never changed since the launch and won't anytime soon. You might have read something about referral promotion by any chance?

Need Help? Let's chat.