cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique referral code

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just got this text from Public Mobile:

Starting July 24, you will have a unique referral code that will replace sharing your phone number when referring someone to Public. Look out for an SMS with your unique code next week. Why refer? Get $1 off per month for every friend you refer for as long as they stay with us. Reply "unsubscribe" to be excluded from Public Mobile offers.

It's about time 🙂

51 REPLIES 51

@AE_Collector wrote:

I think there should be some “rules” around referrals. IMHO it looks EXTREMELY unprofessional every time PM puts up a Facebook post and literally hundreds of people come out of the woodwork saying use my referral code, no use mine... 

I don’t know what the answer is but I have seen moderators occasionally post telling people to stop posting their phone numbers. These new codes may lead to even more doing these posts. PM could simply state this sort of trolling for unsolicited referrals is unacceptable and suspend the ability to earn any new referral credits for one month for any codes posted publicly on a PM advertisement post. It is one thing to message someone who asks for a referral code but the number of unsolicited offers simply looks bad on PM.

Terry

There's a solution to this. PM can put a limit on the number of referrals you can earn.

Koodo does the same thing.

I would be against an annual limit though. But limit of x referrals monthly sounds alright to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

I’m still waiting for the txt message about this on my Fall 2016 Promo sim.  My new sim for my backup phone got the txt sometime this weekend.

Maybe my opt out of the offer in 2017 killed this message.

My more recent account got it from 5131 but my original account has not received it (yet).

AE_Collector: It was very telling when that customer a couple days ago observed that they were getting all these unsolicited offers of a referral wondering what the heck is going on. I just find that to be of very poor taste. I'll certainly provide one on a request either openly or in pm. But I don't go throwing my number at every new customer coming on with questions about signing up

But I don't think there should be a rule. I just think it looks bad on that referrer...not the company.

I think there should be some “rules” around referrals. IMHO it looks EXTREMELY unprofessional every time PM puts up a Facebook post and literally hundreds of people come out of the woodwork saying use my referral code, no use mine... 

I don’t know what the answer is but I have seen moderators occasionally post telling people to stop posting their phone numbers. These new codes may lead to even more doing these posts. PM could simply state this sort of trolling for unsolicited referrals is unacceptable and suspend the ability to earn any new referral credits for one month for any codes posted publicly on a PM advertisement post. It is one thing to message someone who asks for a referral code but the number of unsolicited offers simply looks bad on PM.

Terry

I’m still waiting for the txt message about this on my Fall 2016 Promo sim.  My new sim for my backup phone got the txt sometime this weekend.

Maybe my opt out of the offer in 2017 killed this message.

@JackQuint wrote:

I'd say long overdue but should have always been the situation.

I'd say, better late than never!! Smiley Happy

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker 

We may have another PM to Koodo migration lottery after swtiching to referral code.

Migration lottery is good for getting more referrals as the future new subscribers are eager to get a ticket for a chance to get a good plan at Koodo.  I am one of those subscribers.  But after 1 year, I am stay with PM even if I receive an offer in the future.

PMFanatic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

HOORAY!! Been waiting for this!! Smiley Very Happy

@RossN, it was a way for people to steal Koodo offers from eligible PM subscribers when Koodo was offering them.  Some 'friends' would use the referral number (the telephone of their referrer) and scoop up the offer before the referrer had the chance.

Scummy friends of course, not real friends.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'd say long overdue but should have always been the situation.

it's one of the few things that work around here,may as well screw that up to.Smiley LOL

@bravo_md wrote:

May be it'll stop employees at retail outlets entering in THIER own phone numbers, when people activate their accounts in store.  And not using the phone numbers that are given to them to enter in.  It's being done quite alot.

How?  It"ll just make it slightly more difficult to remember a code.  This change will also cause some referrals to be lost because someone might already mghtb already know your phone number but not the code.

MacMe

@bravo_md wrote:

May be it'll stop employees at retail outlets entering in THIER own phone numbers, when people activate their accounts in store.  And not using the phone numbers that are given to them to enter in.  It's being done quite alot.

If they are doing it, employees could still enter their code, so it won't deter that.

Switching from phone number to code gives the user a bit more security.

bravo_md

I've not received this notification (yet) on my daily driver. Perhaps my backup device has received it at home.

@Anonymous, took me a while to find the other thread  - thanks for notifying.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MacMe wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

Also what would happen in time of a typo?

The same thing that happens when you used a phone number, but made a typo.  It wouldn't work.

<=10 digits would be fine. Anything more could get cumbersome.

MacMe

@zhadj030 wrote:

The same thing that happens when you used a phone number, but made a typo.  It wouldn't work.

bravo_md

It's a good idea, so your phone number isn't out there being shared by whoever gets a hold of it, without you knowing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

LovesToPM: MacMe beat you to it 🙂

Maybe stonechucker could merge these threads too. 🙂

Edit: merged

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Anyone else received this text?

"Public Mobile here: Starting July 24, you will have a unique referral code that will replace sharing your phone number when referring someone to Public. Look out for an SMS with your unique code next week.

Why refer? Get $1 off per month for every friend you refer for as long as they stay with us. Reply "unsubscribe" to be excluded from Public Mobile offers."

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Just got it as well. Let's hope they are not very long codes that would discourage people from registering them .

Need Help? Let's chat.