cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unethical Practice at the retail center

RjanTumamang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I went to the store to get another phone number activated for my brother (I am the legal guardian) and I asked the $1 referral credit to my existing account (my daughter's phone line) but the retailer was not very helpful and impatient with me looking for the my referral code. So I said I'll add it later just to get it done and over with. So instead, he put his own referral code so he can get the discount instead because "he doesn't have time" to help me look for the referral code or create one if I don't have one yet. Is this normal? I think this is an unethical Practice. I got another line thinking I'll have some sort of discount no matter how small it is. The retailer even bragged that his bill this month is -0.45 cents or something similar to that. 

Can someone help me with the referral code and get the credit back from him? Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RjanTumamang wrote:

I went to the store to get another phone number activated for my brother (I am the legal guardian) and I asked the $1 referral credit to my existing account (my daughter's phone line) but the retailer was not very helpful and impatient with me looking for the my referral code. So I said I'll add it later just to get it done and over with. So instead, he put his own referral code so he can get the discount instead because "he doesn't have time" to help me look for the referral code or create one if I don't have one yet. Is this normal? I think this is an unethical Practice. I got another line thinking I'll have some sort of discount no matter how small it is. The retailer even bragged that his bill this month is -0.45 cents or something similar to that. 

Can someone help me with the referral code and get the credit back from him? Thanks,

@RjanTumamang  - Sorry to hear this.

Not. Cool. Whatsoever!

My advice...

1-Give this this store and agent a review that you had an experience with:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/providing-feedback-on-stores

2-If you are not attached to the phone number you were given, do not renew the plan on the 1st renewal date. Remove any credit card that may have been set up for Autopay, and the account will go into automatic suspension and be cancelled/closed after 90 days.

3-Try a different store or definitely agent for an activation (as stores sometimes offer SIMs free with activations). Go onto your Self Serve account and write down your Referral Code to give.

OR, obtain a SIM card and do your own online activation, by either these 2 ways:

a: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/portal/activation

b: Click this link to use the: Public Mobile Online Activation Assistance

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Your red copy/paste needs updating.

So you see @Anonymous it's not just you.

@RjanTumamang 

Contact customer support and explain what happened and how you feel the salesperson underhandedly cheated you out of your just reward ( as you will undoubtedly be the one managing your brothers account.) Additionally the salesperson should not be personally profiting from his position as a mobile salesperson. He should only have offered to add the retailers referral code not snuck his own in after you clearly stated you would get it added later.

Explain to the CSA's that you will be managing your brothers account and use his account info in your private message as this is the easiest and quickest way to get customer support for an account that you manage that is not your own. Also include your referral code ( copy and paste it if need be to make sure its correct) and the last 4 digits of your phone number to ensure the agent can double check it.

Edit:

Oops since its your daughters referral code include her code and the last 4 digits of her phone number.

@mpcdesign 

Thanks for pointing that out....and Hi, how's it going? Long time no typing here!

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@RjanTumamang , Wow! Nothing surprises me anymore. Unfortunately, Public Mobile doesn't penalize bad behaviour from retail staff, like this. This is unfortunate.

Each case or situation is unique. There are times when Public Mobile will be able to reverse the referral code, as some OG moderators suggested. For situations like this, it might have been easier if you had known your own referral code instead of using your daughter's.

Should the retail staff in question not be a manager, one should complain to management. Perhaps the company's head office should be notified if the employee is a manager! If no one complains, guess what, the same person will continue to do what he or she thinks is fine. And it isn't! Not cool at all!

@Anonymous 

I'm about to give my public advice. I am simply preventing someone from getting their panties in a bunch.

@AE_Collector 

I agree that in my opinion it can be much slower for some to deal with Simple--Simon. So once again I do not agree with the advice given.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Again...why can't you do this out here?

@AE_Collector wrote:

You can probably get this fixed by dealing with the customer service advisors (moderators). Use the private message function and send a message to CS_Advisors from the envelope upper right corner. They will quite likely fix it for you but no guarantee.

Customer support agents contact customers using the username of CS_Agent.  However, customer support agents should be inititally contacting by going through the SIMon chatbot at https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html .  Iniitiating contact by sending a private message will result in the customer receiving slower service.

@RjanTumamang 

I do not agree with the advice given to you. Give me a few minutes to write you a private message.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

You can probably get this fixed by dealing with the customer service agents (moderators). Use the private message function and send a message to CS_Agent from the envelope upper right corner. They will quite likely fix it for you but no guarantee.

AE_Collector

@RjanTumamang wrote:

Can someone help me with the referral code and get the credit back from him? 

Unfortunately, salespeople at retail locations cannot assist with existing accont issues and questions.  Officially, the referral code does need to be entered during activation, although I am aware that the customer support agents do sometimes make exceptions regarding this.  I know the following information doesn't help you, but for anyone who doesn't know the referral codes of the person whose code that is going to be used, the new customer should simply walk away and activate at a later time when the code is handy.  So while a person at a retail location should not use a referral code without informing you, this actually enables your brother will receive a $10 account credit which he otherwise would not receive.

Need Help? Let's chat.