cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for referrals

jonfirlotte
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Would anyone here know any good tips for getting referrals, I'm having a hard time getting people to sign-up. Would sharing my reference code on this forum be a good idea? Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

Savebig2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ahahah good one!!! 

Savebig2

Which is so silly isnt??!!

Savebig2

How would ppl randomly ask??

A few people I know who volunteer at senior care home get referrals by helping seniors setup their phones.

One tip is spread your referrals around, my family as an habit "gifting" accounts that are self sufficient with referrals to younger nieces and nephews when they need plans. We make it usually 30 referrals for a $25 plan, we also pay attention just in case referrals end (which they do).

Angelface
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It probably would not seeing as someone has to sign up here to get your code.  Just keep showing them how great of a service it is at such a great price.  I do that and although I don't have any referrals. I have friends who are very interested as time goes on with my account having zero issues

WoozyPolarBear

I work at a large company, so I printed off a bunch of business cards  with my referral information and plan prices and attached them to public mobile SIM cards that I purchased in bulk from an ebay seller. I paid about $100 for 100 sim cards ($1/SIM), and just left them on the counter in the cafateria/lunchroom at work. I signed up in January myself, and currently my account has a credit balance of over $1100, and I have over 70 referrals. The only out of my own pocket money I've spent was for my first month on the $40 plan and the SIM cards I purchased on ebay. Since then, the referrals have more than covered my plan cost. In fact, I am gaining about $30 a month even AFTER my plan cost is deducted.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

Referrals will happen if your friends know you're a customer. The best way is out of your control like when there's a good promo like free month.  When more people join, there's more refferrals to spread around.

you just have to explain properly how good the (PM) deals are and all the benefits reward etc. and make sure to tell them there is no call centre etc. my friends liked it when i told them about their services and I got references.

luke11992

I've just been walking into Bell and Rogers stores and whispering the PM deals to the customers.

(Joking)

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dna2016 wrote:

@jonfirlotte keep in mind a lot of people don;t know that Public Mobile is owned by Telus.  so most of the time when you mention PM they'll be reluctant because they'll think there's always a catch and that there's no way you can pay such low prices for great service.  So I do agree with @GGPlayer to break down the math, but you always have to let people know that the service reception is top tier now that Telus owns this company. 

But you do need to warn people that there is no call centre/phone contact for support.  It's primarily a DIY type of company/service, and I'll be honest, PM is not for everyone, so recommend you filter accordingly.  Some people not only want, but need, that 24/7 immediate support.

BYOD, as well, which not everyone's into. And prepaid vs. postpaid.

And while technically PM coverage is the same as Telus, engineering did confirm that PM calls are treated w/ a lower priority. I've been experiencing sporadic call drops and engineering has a ticket open but no ETA on a fix. Just wanted to share in the interest of transparency.

But agree that DIY is the overarching point when trying to pitch PM to someone else.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jonfirlotte keep in mind a lot of people don;t know that Public Mobile is owned by Telus.  so most of the time when you mention PM they'll be reluctant because they'll think there's always a catch and that there's no way you can pay such low prices for great service.  So I do agree with @GGPlayer to break down the math, but you always have to let people know that the service reception is top tier now that Telus owns this company. 

But you do need to warn people that there is no call centre/phone contact for support.  It's primarily a DIY type of company/service, and I'll be honest, PM is not for everyone, so recommend you filter accordingly.  Some people not only want, but need, that 24/7 immediate support.

GGPlayer

Do a simple math with your friend when you try to pursuade them. Let's say the current absolute 0 plan from Freedom mobile for IPhone 11 is $90/month. If you can save $20 every month, it will be $480 after 2 years contract. Then if they switch to PM $25 plan, totally $1700 after tax money can be saved. Comparing with the phone value 1100 after tax, it's worth trying a switch.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

argee, it is hard to refer peoples to public mobile, as a lot of people prefer to pay more to those brand name, and they think PM may not very reliable. 

@jonfirlotte 

Be patient.  Slowly ask your friends and family about their cell plans and introduce PM.  When a special promotion arrives, then you can be more aggressive at selling PM (especially when there are the $25 referral bonus for both parties promo).  However, make sure that you mention some of the drawbacks of PM (ie. no immediate customer service, etc.).

I have seen some people advertize on kijiji or craiglist.  You can participate in these type of forums and sometimes you will get a unsolicited private message from new customers.  In general, it is not allowed to actively publically advertize your referral code in these forums.  You also can put your phone number to the reddit referral generator list.   

LindaB

Share on social media text your friends and promote the benefits of having a public mobitity account 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Contact friends and family and give them the PM website address.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@jonfirlotte  you're not allowed to put the referral code on these forums. If you do the moderator_team removes it.  All you can do is if someone ask for one is send it in the private mailbox 

Need Help? Let's chat.