cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cheapest plan ever!

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

As my kids would say to us when they have a great day....the best day ever!

I am changing my plan from the $40 plan to the $15 plan. With my monthly rewards of $9, I am paying the cheapest monthly plan ever, at $6 bucks. (okay, granted, the best plan would be zero, as in having no phone, but...)

Gas at the moment is 89.9, and my plan is $6...my question is, I guess if I really want my plan to go to zero, I should refer a friend is my better chance of accomplishing this, even though, they are stuck with staying with the big three?

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.32.50 PM.png

73 REPLIES 73

@Naepalm, with these uncertain times, it made sense for me to cut down on expenses. I have always been a frugal kind of man. Although, other times I am not.

For example, if I go to travel to a new city, my first day is a good meal, not some fast food joint. And on my last day in this new city, it is followed up with a good meal too. But, when it comes to spending money that is a necessity, a cell phone isn't at this time. Food and shelter comes to mind. Yep, toilet paper is at the bottom of the list. That's what a phone book is used for! 

@gblackma, I thought of TextNow, but my family and contacts know my number. They wouldn't answer my call from a different number. Plus, if I truly want to call them I could use the landline. Yep, am the OG, aka 'old geezer!'

@mpcdesign  Sweet looks like you are going to be alright! I am going to see how this month goes and whether I use much data since I am only on wifi then I may switch to the 15.00 plan as well. 🙂

Congrats @mpcdesign isn't 5mb of that data the buffer?  To save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Okay, my renewal date finally came along and gone. 

My original post at the beginning was what I had, and now, drum roll please:

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 2.26.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 2.27.52 AM.png

The worst part was I flipped on my data to turn my steps into points for a second or two, and it ate up 6mb. So quickly. I am so used to flipping my data on, that it's no big deal for 5gigs, but am down to the 250mb + 2 gigs of data. Sigh, the good-ole days, seems like a memory.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Regarding app bloat, it doesn't have to be that way , those apps will be there but you still choose to use them or not (or remove them as a root user in my case)... Nothing has to follow you either as your implying. Clouds are all optional. I'm sure many more will exist, no doubt about that. But doesn't mean you have to take part in any of it 😉

Maxkarj1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Refer people who are looking for a good plan for kids and seniors!

1GB will seem paltry and laughable by 2030. Just as last decade's mighty 10MB seems paltry and laughable today.

But there will be more app bloat. More app conveniences, integration, pervasiveness. And more "background" telemetry. Maybe we won't carry supercomputers in our pockets, but our pockets will be continuously synced with supercomputers on the cloud. Denser radio networks capable of carrying larger data capacities and bandwidths will be needed to keep all in sync. Telus will have the networks. And PM will use Telus networks. We likely won't get the fastest and greatest speeds possible, those always require dedicated spectrum and dedicated hardware so they always cost premium, but we'll certainly get throttled at something faster than today's 3Mbps "3G".

@darlicious wrote:

@Naepalm 

The reward you recieve by helping out in the community is always worth it (at least to me) for it isn't the monetary reward but the psychological one....the act of giving ones time to help others. The appreciation from those you help is a reward unsurpassed by any other.

Yeah, I agree, I was just going by monetary value. But yea it is much better to help others then get a few extra bucks. ultimately if you steer people to public you can be saving them thousands of dollars and that's a win in my books. 

@Naepalm 

The reward you recieve by helping out in the community is always worth it (at least to me) for it isn't the monetary reward but the psychological one....the act of giving ones time to help others. The appreciation from those you help is a reward unsurpassed by any other.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign wrote:

As my kids would say to us when they have a great day....the best day ever!

I am changing my plan from the $40 plan to the $15 plan. With my monthly rewards of $9, I am paying the cheapest monthly plan ever, at $6 bucks. (okay, granted, the best plan would be zero, as in having no phone, but...)

Gas at the moment is 89.9, and my plan is $6...my question is, I guess if I really want my plan to go to zero, I should refer a friend is my better chance of accomplishing this, even though, they are stuck with staying with the big three?

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.32.50 PM.png

You need to become an evangelist! sharing is caring! Share with everyone and anyone you see, talk to people on the street make PM business cards and hand them out at Christmas parties LOL.

From a quick look best savings are in referral (just because you can get many) Second is autopay, because its easy, third is loyalty again easy but take a long time, lastly is community as seemingly the hours spent to get the reward may not be worth it. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Naepalm  It's important to remember pm offers 3G and 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps which offers a consistent download and upload speed and saves on your data usage. If you require a higher speed switching to 3G only can offer speeds up to 20mbps but can vary depending on the time of day and other factors. Downloading HD videos can easily be achieved on wifi at high speed and without unnecessary mobile data usage.

Depending on the HSPA network configuration in your region, the HSPA network speeds can actually go quite a bit higher than 20Mbps. I've been in the 35Mbps range, but that's really only going to happen under virtually perfect netowrk conditions.

As for the CRTC forcing "an across the board 25% rate reduction" ... not true. A 25% rate reduction only in plans with 2 to 6 Gb of data Which only potentially catches one of the current PM plans. And I have never heard what date the bench mark for plan cost is set at. There were some significant price cuts by the big three fairly recently though they were mainly the 10-20 Gb plans thus the CRTC didn't include those in its required cost cutting.

AE_Collector

@Naepalm  It's important to remember pm offers 3G and 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps which offers a consistent download and upload speed and saves on your data usage. If you require a higher speed switching to 3G only can offer speeds up to 20mbps but can vary depending on the time of day and other factors. Downloading HD videos can easily be achieved on wifi at high speed and without unnecessary mobile data usage.

@dude65 wrote:

If your streaming video you will want 4G. Having said that most people who use PM probably wont do any other very little, so it does not really matter. People who will do streaming will choose 4G and ultimately pay more for that service.

Yeah I have had a few people comment to me when I share about public, "3G really?" 

@dude65 the vast majority of phones stream at 1080p or lower. throttled 4g or even the higher download speed switching to HSPA(3g) which is faster than the throttled LTE (which is so weird) is more than enough to stream YouTube and Netflix. 

On the topic of the big 3 taking a 25% cut of prices it's highly unlikely you will see a benefit, since they wanna implement 5g. they've already been raising prices which is the reason I switched to PM. so even by the time that 25% cut comes to effect. it eventually will be the same price. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your streaming video you will want 4G. Having said that most people who use PM probably wont do any other very little, so it does not really matter. People who will do streaming will choose 4G and ultimately pay more for that service.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Wow my question is for iPhone users though. Can you use messages with pictures without though...

@Pawprints1986  Nor would I.....but you can watch a movie if you want to.....

Pawprints1986

I find data here perfectly fine for checking email, social media, messenger, banking apps... I wouldn't watch a movie with it but it does what I need 🙂

@smiley3  When you are having a conversation with the big three customers about data speeds ask them what they use their mobile data for.....sure if they're a gamer they have the need for speed. The vast majority of customers don't need it or use it. They just think they do. Are they streaming HD movies? Not really....so give them an example. Both of you pull out your phone's and watch the same YouTube video. Better yet both of you check your data usage before and after. When they see there's no discernible difference in the quality wait til they see there is a very discernible difference in the data usage. They will have used between 10 to 20 times more data than you to watch the same video. Then tell them all about the $40/5gb plan.

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes I think I just need 1 successful referral coming from the big3 and that should keep the ball rolling! Always hardest to get the first one.

smiley3

@ryanrudolf 

I find the problem with referring is that people coming from the big 3 (or almost anywhere else) are going to be coming from a faster 4G LTE network.  So, it's hard to know if being on the faster network is that important to them or not.  

If Public Mobile was on the same Data network in terms of speed, it would be a lot easier to explain to people that everything is the exact same just at less cost!

smiley3

Referrals aren't a scam at all, because the person your referring gets a bonus $10 right now.  When I joined I didn't know about the referral thing, so I didn't get anything!

@ryanrudolf wrote:

Wow thats awesome! I am lagging in the referral department and I need to improve my people skills! Whats challenging for me is explaining to possible referrals that its not a scam and it is a reliable cheap service. My colleagues are tied up to the big 3 and having them switch takes a lot of persuasion to do which I dont have.

What I lack in the referral department I make up in autopay and loyalty. Its not that much but every dollar helps!

You need to convince just one of your colleagues to switch to PM and then you will have others following. It is good that you are on this community to see the types of questions and answers that might arise. If you make a referral you might feel obligated to be their first point of contact in case something goes sideways.

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wow thats awesome! I am lagging in the referral department and I need to improve my people skills! Whats challenging for me is explaining to possible referrals that its not a scam and it is a reliable cheap service. My colleagues are tied up to the big 3 and having them switch takes a lot of persuasion to do which I dont have.

What I lack in the referral department I make up in autopay and loyalty. Its not that much but every dollar helps!

BearFBI

@GraceT100 Yeah i got 2 friends that want to join and quite a bit of my family. i cant wait to refer them. Thats 9$ just waiting for me 

GraceT100
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Get your whole family on Public and you'll take a few more bucks off too (Refer-a-friend reward)! 

smiley3

Yes, I'd think the only way for you to get your cost down more is through the referral bonuses.  Although you only get $1 off per referral, so you'll have to find a lot of people to refer!

I guess you can also get more Community Rewards, although I'd think you'd have to be putting in a lot of time on here to get more than you already are.  I'm impressed that you are getting $5 off already!  I pop on every now and then, but have only been able to get $2 at the most! 

Anyone else out there know what it takes to get more than $5 in community rewards?

Pawprints1986

But why do they have 2 years? Make them do it now! I know it's the big 3 but I'm sure it would trickle down to the second tiers too and then who knows

Need Help? Let's chat.