cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppose You Ran Public Mobile

DM100watch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Okay...suppose you were in charge of Public Mobile, what reward would you most like to see offered here?  More discounts for referrals?  Easier ways to earn points/discounts in the forums?  More free offers of minutes or data?

I was happy to join a few days ago and get 500 free calling minutes and 2 GB of free data.  But looking around the forums I see people who have been here a long time lamenting that the offers are just for new customers and not them.

So if I were in charge, what would I like to see?  Some sort of offer for those who have been here awhile.  Say extra free data each month on a sliding scale; the longer you are a customer, the more free data they give you.  How about it, Public Mobile?  I'm happy to get free data; how about everybody else who missed the offer cause they aren't new customers?

What would you most like to see?

10 REPLIES 10

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Their main competitor is Lucky Mobile (The prepaid version of bell basically) and Lucky Mobile is making their offers better then Public, with the unlimited really slow data but still usable, and wifi calling. 

I will still stay with Public as they are nicer to their customers, with a big community to talk to, and they give FREE addons sometimes. Just like the free holiday addons we had all December. (Its Jan now so that addon is gone)

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Asher2 

When I switched to public mobile from full 4G to throttled I thought there would be a big difference but other than waiting an extra second or two for something to open there hasnt been anything to warrant paying twice as much as i was with my last provider for less data.

Asher2

@BasesLoadedWalk The throttled max data is actually 3mbps and NOT 2.5mbps. Maybe you looked at an old post because earlier before this (Idk how long ago) they made a switch from the throttled speeds to 3mbps from 2.5mbps.

Now I know you most likely will not get 3mbps speeds as I never do even beside a Bell cell tower (I know it should work since Bell/Telus share the same towers and Telus owns Public)

I’d recommend actually switching to 3G (should be in your settings) and see what speeds you are getting now. I’d usually get 20mbps, even though my cell tower is far.

So about the LTE speeds you are talking about, I would not be sad if they did, I’d be happy BUT as said in alot of posts, people don't see the difference between the throttled LTE and normal LTE. I actually would like to see like a bigger data cap, for all plans, since you are needing to be connected with the internet more and more as the future goes on. So overall, a bigger data cap would actually be better since as you’ll get more data to stay connected AND the speeds will most likely won’t bother much people.

EDIT: @cin7 I’d recommend looking at my reply to his since your wish is alot like his. 
I also agree with @softech 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

haha.. i would like to see them increase the data limit a bit in all price plan

With Pandemic here, more people stay home and hurting the big telecom (Bell, rogers, etc), they have all bring the price down.. like $40 or $35 for 4 GB or so.. $50 for 20GB or so.. 

i understand PM has lower price price .. but they should increase the dat limit to make it competitive..  at the very least PM should look into all those plan $35 and above to make it competitive

btw, i think this is more a post in the Lounge.. probably would got moved soon?

cin7
Likewise @hairbag1 - I'm glad to have been able to change my plan without any issues/charges from $25 to $15 given the current circumstances.

My wish would be alike @BasesLoadedWalk - for Public Mobile to transition from 3G to LTE speeds, as 5G becomes more available and mainstream.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @DM100watch 

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Good question. Overall, the rewards at Public Mobile are unbeatable.

I think one area Public Mobile could improve upon is the referral bonus. 

As examples, there's a horse shoe brand offering $25 credit to both sides (mind you the credit is spread out over 5 months and there is a limit of x referrals). There's also a Quebec brand offering $50 promo credit for a limited time.

Note that the 500 free calling minutes and 2 GB of free data is available to everyone, to both new and existing customers alike. It's great that Public Mobile started this give-away in 2019 and is continuing the tradition this year (also last year it was 400 minutes and 1 GB).

BasesLoadedWalk

When 5G gets more and more mainstream/coverage with the main carriers, I would like to see Public Mobile transition from 3G speeds to LTE speeds. Public Mobile should offer data one tier below the highest level of data speeds. 3G speeds won't be sufficient for much longer. I know that technically, the 3G speed is on the LTE network, but the throttle of 2.5 Mbps should increase to the LTE levels of 100-200 Mbps as more and more of the main networks become 5G.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DM100watch...

right now, I don't really need any more data. With C19, been stuck in wifi-land. If I use data it's been some of the accumulated free data from the last couple of years. I've been able to reduce my plan costs from $40 to $25 and now using the $15 plan since October.

I'm also happy to get free data...PM seems to give me free data enuff to keep me sated.

That's just my experience though.

I believe that there has been overempahsis on short-term promotions. These promotions do get cutomers to sign up, but in my opinion, it also encourages an unsustainable rate of customer churn. Customers who sign up for short term promotions are often the very same customers who will switch carriers every few months. This doesn't encourage customer loyalty. 

Good, permanent price plans are far more important than any new customer promotion that promotes some type of temporary usage bonus or discount.

When it comes to the rewards, this is probably the one single thing that keeps the customers here. That can't be messed around with. If it is, there's not a lot deferentiating Public Mobile from either Chatr or Lucky.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Interesting topic,  @DM100watch 

I suspect it will soon be moved it to the Wishlist thread already in place. 

I, too, like the idea of a sliding scale of added data the longer one remains a customer. 

I suspect the Loyalty credit will be the mainstay, and truth be told, it ain't bad. 

Need Help? Let's chat.