cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shifty Shop Stole My Referrals.

digi604
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This may be a weird issue but here goes.

I went into a little local computer repair shop to buy two Public Mobile SIMs; one for wife and one for myself. I had no idea how the rewards system worked other than you could get them. The guy said they had to sign me up - that the link was for "retailers". So he did. Now that I'm looking at the page from the referral I can see that he stole both of my $1/mo rewards for his own account.

What can I do about this? I'm angry.

11 REPLIES 11

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

On the store locator link - you can leave feedback.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

I would also make a Google Review, Yelp Review and any other review that you can on this business. Google Review would be a hard pill to swallow, as most people use Google. Unfortunately, sometimes you just can’t get a bad Google review removed. There is a way to remove a Google review, but, it does take work. At the same time, it lets the business, the manager and the salesperson  (say their name) and call them out on it. It will get a few looks, and guarantee you, the manager will ask if you can take it down. The ball will be in your court! 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@digi604 wrote:

I went into a little local computer repair shop to buy two Public Mobile SIMs; one for wife and one for myself. I had no idea how the rewards system worked other than you could get them. The guy said they had to sign me up - that the link was for "retailers". So he did. Now that I'm looking at the page from the referral I can see that he stole both of my $1/mo rewards for his own account.

I would go back to ask the clerk why they did what they did.  If they aren't the manager or the store owner I would ask for them and let them know what the clerk did as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@digi604 wrote:

Not sure how I can explain this clearer. The clerk used his referral code when creating my two accounts. That's all I'm saying. 🙂

So he took 2 x $1/mo referral discounts.

After reading this thread, I'm pretty sure everyone that posted here gets what you're saying, i.e. you didn't need to "explain it clearer".

In your 1st post you said, "Now that I'm looking at the page from the referral I can see that he stole both of my $1/mo rewards for his own account." While he got two $1/month rewards, they weren't both yours, i.e. if you had done the whole thing yourself, using a referral code you obtained from someone, THAT person would receive a $1/month reward, and you'd receive a one time $10 credit on your account. You could then have used your newly created referral code to sign up your wife, and then you would have received a $1/month reward on your account, for signing up your wife, and she would have received a one time $10 credit on her account(not a 2nd $1/month reward).

In any case, if this is pissing you off, do as has been advised by other members here, and contact the Moderator team to hopefully straighten this out(at least partially), and give that shop a bad rating/review.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@digi604 wrote:

So you have no rewards? (Good). Maybe $2 for auto-pay. (Ok that is doable again) Did you get a promo deal? (Not good) Port a number?(not good). Comments refer to cancel and restart option. 

You could cancel you account at day 27 and start again. You can get SIM cards for $3 to $10 and do it all your self. You are hooped if you ported your number.  You will only get 1 $1 referral though. I would suggest if you start again to use 2 different emails or do the pseudo email address using gmail and use a different credit card for awhile and  then use your preferred credit card by changing back to it when the dust settles. The shop will loose the referrals too. 

Give the shop a baaad Google and Yelp review. 

@digi604  This is not unheard of...contact the moderators as suggested. Supply your friends referral code for the first account activated and the referral code from that account for the second account. Explain the salesperson pulled a fast one on you. The moderators will also look into the referral code used by the salesperson. Report your experience by reviewing the dealer on the find a retailer page on pms website. Public Mobile does take this kind of underhanded service seriously.

The moderator will add the correct referral codes to the accounts.

digi604

Not sure how I can explain this clearer. The clerk used his referral code when creating my two accounts. That's all I'm saying. 🙂

So he took 2 x $1/mo referral discounts.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@digi604 so both of you got a $10 one time referral credit. It usually appears within 72 hours in your accounts. Did you give hiim a friends referral erral code to enter when you originally signed up? Then this ismgow it works Contact a moderator directly through this private message link https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

And explain what happened - the  Friend ($1 monthly)  refers wife ($10 one time ) - wife $1 refers husband $10. 

The husband contacts about the wifes referral code (Will need the wifes code and phone number)

The wife contacts about the friend. 

You cannot refer each other. So, either the weasel clerk,gets the one referral or your friend gets it.  If you don't have a friends referral code contact someone here and ask them for their own. Good luck.

@digi604 wrote:

digi604

They're listed on the map so I assume so?

Yeah no I have a friend I was gonna give the referal to and then refer my second account to the first. I don't see any favours here. He totally swiped $2/mo off his own account off me.

@digi604 wrote:

Are they an authorized Public Mobile retailer?  If they aren't, they really can do what they wish as long as it isn't against the law.  

Unless you had another account referring the first activation, the person at the store using someone else's referral code actually did you a favor, because otherwise, you wouldn't be receiving the $10 credit for the first account. It's a different story for the second activation. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@digi604 

Not much you can do.

But at least, both of you got the $10 referral credit.

Did you bring a referral code from your friend with you to the store?

Need Help? Let's chat.