cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral savings tips 😉

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello everyone.  I hope you are all enjoying the savings as much as I am from using Public Mobile. 

I have referred several friends and family to Public Mobile. Can anyone share what strategy they use to get more referrals?

Thank you 😁

7 REPLIES 7

Ask your friends if they know when their contract is due to expire... And if they are still happy with their current phone. I let them know that after month 23, not month 24 is when they are actually free of their device subsidy/contract obligations according to CRTC rules. They can ditch their current provider and keep going with the same phone with same data on PM for usually 1/2 the cost or less. You can use the pitch that when the time comes that they want a new phone, they could buy a new phone outright and stay with PM, or ditch PM and start a new contract with whatever carrier they want again later. But of course you would hope that they stay with PM.

Emphasize that the big providers DO NOT lower your plan cost when their hardware subsidy/contract is done - they're literally wasting money each month afterwards if they don't either start a new hardware renewal, or port out to a service like PM.

Because of the self-serve nature of PM, and it's quirks, I also offer my assistance for first time signup and work through any porting issues / ongoing support as a confidence builder if they are concerned about the change. I usually also give them a free SIM card, unless there's a free SIM deal on at the likes of Walmart or LD occasionally, because I'll make that back soon enough with the $1/30days referral bonus. Places like canadiancellsupplies usually have them for $5 or less, so I can save them waiting for one to come in the mail, and the quirky website canadiancellsupplies runs haha.

If I see promos that would apply well to my "prospects" I'll occasionally shoot them over to keep them occasionally thinking about PM as their contract expiry approaches. 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Also be upfront with the possible issues at pm, online it support, overpriced cpo phones(new initiative) auto payment failures etc.  Could lose servvice for 24-48 hours depending on mod reply time.  Etc. Not worth losing a friend over $1/ month.

But in my experience there are the people who are easy to convince  wow great savings, and others who are happy where they are and nothing will make them move. If you have to work on someone to make the switch it is not worth it especially if/when a Pm issues arise

I improved the title of your post! (Title changes here only stick to posts that are made directly off of of posts having the new title...took me awhile to figure this out).

While not instant, I watch all the promotions and keep slowly working on friends and family with the benefits of PM and let them know when there is a better deal to sign up than the normal offer. I also keep spare SIM cards on hand to sweeten the deal for them and remove any stumbling blocks to making a quick switch.

AE_Collector

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Write a review blog, tell everyone how great PM is. Include you referral code. I don't think that breaks any rules. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Some people sell sim cards on eBay or Amazon and include their referral codes, some share on Instagram, Twitter Facebook etc...some on Kijiji etc.  Others on rfd (even though referral solicitation is against the rules) It all depends on how much effort you want to make.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Most new customers sign up for new promos.

They register their email address to get notified if new promotions.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

@DDM69 

It's not always about having more referrals, but getting people to sign up who are going to stay because they understand that the price.will go down over time.

Believe it or not,  I've found that while promotions such as offering $10 off each renewal for about 6 months get people to.sign up, this is generally not the customer looking for quick discounts who will help you. These customers very often leave for another carrier as soon as the price goes back up.

Customers who sign up when there is no promo, especially on a $15 plan is more likely to stay long term.

Need Help? Let's chat.