cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refer-a-friend -- does it re-instate on reactivation on a lapsed account?

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I got an SMS from short-code 100 on Monday (2 days ago), stating:
Public Mobile here. Just to let you know your Refer a Friend reward will be less on your next payment due to one of your friend's account inactivity.

I still see her number in the referral list (Plan and Add-Ons --> Rewards --> Total Rewards earned), but it shows $0 beside her name.  She's not on auto-renew, so I presume she forgot to top-up her account, but I know her account is active right now because she called me from her phone yesterday and today, so she must've bought a voucher and topped off.

Will this automatically re-instate itself?  Not the end of the world either way, I'm just curious about how the system works.

Similarly, I've let my son's $10/30 day plan lapse without renewing, since he lost his phone and hasn't recovered it.  I got the same SMS notification when I used the "Suspend Service" option under Plan and Add-Ons --> Lost/Stolen Phone. The thought was to re-activate it once found, or else to buy a new SIM and transfer his number over to it... but if I won't get the $1 refer-a-friend, I'd might as well just activate a new line and lose his phone number (not a huge loss), plus with promos ($10 referral credit to cover the SIM, and sometimes the first month free), it may even be worthwhile.

6 REPLIES 6

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

For what it's worth (in case anybody else encounters a similar situation)...

I was getting $0 from the referred friend, even though her phone number appeared under "My Rewards", and she had an active account.  My son's account was not showing up under "My Rewards" nor did I expect it to, because I had deliberately suspended it for a couple months after he'd lost the phone.

Anyway, we found my son's phone and as soon as I re-activated his account (within the 90 day grace period), I got 2 text notifications from SMS short code 100, both with the same message:

Public Mobile here. Congratulations! You have successfully referred a friend. If on a Rewards-eligible plan, see the Rewards tab in your Self Serve account.

Now, I'm back to seeing both my son's number and my friend's number, each worth $1/30 days to me.

So, long story short, it does seem that there's another glitch in the PM system, where referred accounts may not translate to full rewards if they lapse (e.g. not on auto-pay).  In my case, the action of re-activating a referred account (luckily under my control) had the side-effect of "kick-starting" the referral reward from another referred account (not under my control).

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah the number of numbers on my list doesn't match the amount of rewards. I sent a message to the mod team a few days back and yesterday got back to me that it will be forwarded to the technical team and be resolved between 3-7 days. Unfortunately though my renewal date is tommorow so I'll lose out on some bucks but it's all good.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

There was another person with a similar situation the other day.  

Best thing is to track your referals, and if the reward does not match the number of active accounts then message them and they will /should adjust things. And provide credits in warranted.

tbark

To be certain you can also send a PM to the moderator team. 

In your message please include:

PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue. 

Response Times:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [EST] from 9am to 7:30pm [EST].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to Between 48-72 hours.
  • Please do not send multiple messages as this will need speed up the response time.

I hope this is helpful, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

tbark

Once there account becomes active you should continue to get rewards, but lose a portion for the inactivity period.

Need Help? Let's chat.