cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile's Referral program - Security and changes

westcoastsurf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings. The referral program should be run by having PM auto generate user referral IDs at signup, like any other referral/affiliate program. PM users then give out their Referral ID's instead of their personal number. They can check their referral ID by logging into the PM admin area.

1. Public Mobile will generate an exponential increase in referrals as users will simply send their friends, post on social media, etc., their PM autogenerated referral ID.

ex:

"Sign up with Public Mobile and receive $25 off with this link!

activate.publicmobile.ca/?ref=18764

or

activate.publicmobile.ca/?ref=referralusername

"

The ref tag is can be displayed in any manner, it does not have to look like "/?ref=xxxx", this is just an example.

2. Giving out your personal phone number has security issues and limits PM users to only a few people to contact. You do not want to post your phone number online. A referral ID can be posted anywhere and contains no personal information making a safer more secure referral program.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

@cmgarside wrote:

I would like to promote Public Mobile on my website, is there a link that I can put into my add that directs the contact to public mobiles site and credits me, if the contact signs up for a plan?

@cmgarside 

In your self service account, in the upper right corner, there is a section about the friend referral program.  There is a link that you can choose that will populate your referral code to the actvation page.  Copy that link and put in your website.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmgarside wrote:

I would like to promote Public Mobile on my website, is there a link that I can put into my add that directs the contact to public mobiles site and credits me, if the contact signs up for a plan?

Only via your referral code. Slap that all over your website and maybe people would use it.

cmgarside
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ahh interesting, good to know. I've definitely given my number to people online who have asked for a referral, but then my number was never used, so let's hope this isn't the case!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@luke11992 wrote:

@NDesai so if someone used my number for a Koodo promo, as long as I had no intention of taking advantage of the promo myself, it shouldn't affect my PM service, right?

@luke11992- If there were to be another promo to migrate from PM to Koodo, and you wanted to take advantage of it, you might not be able to, since it would already have been registered as having taken advantage of a migration offer.  All of the systems are not well integrated, so the people at Koodo would not know that you were still with PM.

luke11992

@NDesai so if someone used my number for a Koodo promo, as long as I had no intention of taking advantage of the promo myself, it shouldn't affect my PM service, right?

westcoastsurf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Referrals makes companies grow, Public Mobile is a great company that needs to grow. The current referral system places users at risk and also denies users the ability to effectively promote PM and earn a passive income/discounted or free services beyond a couple friend referrals. 

A more complete and user privacy engaged referral program would explode. PM is a business, it has to broaden its reach.

@westcoastsurf wrote:

2. Giving out your personal phone number has security issues and limits PM users to only a few people to contact.

That aspect could actually be on purpose.

@luke11992 wrote:

I’m out of the loop here, but besides the obvious risk such as spam phone calls and such, what might someone do with your number?

Public Mobile have ran a migration promos with their siter brand, Koodo, where your number is the verification code to use it towards a promo deal. 

luke11992

I’m out of the loop here, but besides the obvious risk such as spam phone calls and such, what might someone do with your number?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Murco wrote:

@mimmoFair enough but I have seen members trolling for referals on Kijiji more then a couple times.  They dont seem to mind have there personal # out for the whole world to see.

fair enough, some people are not concerend, and that is their perogative.  Imagine what things would look like if there was a referal link available, teh internet would be flooded. 

Murco

@mimmoFair enough but I have seen members trolling for referals on Kijiji more then a couple times.  They dont seem to mind have there personal # out for the whole world to see.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@westcoastsurf  the referal system is meant for friends and family.  by making people use  an active tel number they are infact limiting you to people you are comfortable to give your tel number to.  

This tries to keep people from posting their referial links on forums twitter facebook etc.

Murco

I agree, it would be much easier to just send a referral form

rather then your personal cell number.

Need Help? Let's chat.