cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal referral codes

samcat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

This may be a silly question but I would like to confirm before sharing my code.

Prior to joining public mobile, I had asked a question in the community and numerous people private messaged and responded - randomly offering me their referral codes. 

Is there any danger in giving out your personal referral code to complete stranger?

Can referral codes somehow contain your personal information or anything? 

Considering referral codes are (at least originally) meant for your family and friends, I want to know if we should be more careful giving out personal referral codes to strangers. 

6 REPLIES 6

KkuraWiz

@samcat wrote:

Hello,

This may be a silly question but I would like to confirm before sharing my code.

Prior to joining public mobile, I had asked a question in the community and numerous people private messaged and responded - randomly offering me their referral codes. 

Is there any danger in giving out your personal referral code to complete stranger?

Considering referral codes are (at least originally) meant for your family and friends, I want to know if we should be more careful giving out personal referral codes to strangers. 

Not a silly question, and no danger! Referral codes are anonymous with random letters and numbers and made to be shared with others.

When you share your referral code to someone else and they use it to activate a new public mobile account, they will receive a one-time $10 credit and you will receive a $1/month credit reward as well for every person you successfully refer while their account is still active. So the more people you successfully refer, the lower your monthly bill is! It could theoretically be $0/month if you're able to refer enough people, especially if you're able to combine the referral reward with the other public mobile rewarded (ex. autopay). That's why so many people sent you their codes haha

Spinner

It is against the rules to give out your personal code in here , give it to your friends personally 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@samcat  No such thing as a silly question. Codes are safe to give out that is why they were created. Before codes were created PM used your phone number which was not very safe.

@samcat  In the last six months or so referral codes were changed to the current anonymous  looking number and letter form from the previous method of referral using your phone number. This new form is much safer and secure than previous methods and virtually unidentifiable to anyone other than those who may have access to your account. Yourself, the moderators and in some cases a person who manages an account for a family member or a disabled person with accessibility issues.

@samcat wrote:

Hello,

The entire point of the referral codes is to be able to share the code without revealing information about yourself.  Please note that members are not allowed to try to gain referrals by making posts in the Community that solicit them.  While the your referral code is linked to your account, it would just be downright silly for a Public Mobile employee to give information out about you if someone asks for it based on that code.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@samcat wrote:

Hello,

Only PM employee can access your account info using your referral code. 

It is a refer-a-friend code.  It is up to you whether you want to send it to people you don't know or not.  PM has not way to find out whether your referee is your friend or not.

Need Help? Let's chat.