cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone accepts 2 Sims... Will I get a refferal credit for a second sim in same name?

Gwaiiguy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I want an additional data bucket and it seems that a whole other sim with 6gb is the cheapest way to go will I get a refferal credit?

15 REPLIES 15

@Joeyzhao I know Bell uses Hyperion (acquired by Oracle) so it would not surprise me if Telus is same

wrote:

That’s absolutely right.

I think public Mobil’s database use mail address as the main key. My guess it is oracle.

Joeyzhao
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That’s absolutely right.

I think public Mobil’s database use mail address as the main key. My guess it is oracle.

But maybe there is another explanation about the porting problem. Since porting system includes not only one database but two, the transaction between them will be a little bit complicated. Such as fido ,they use both phone number and email as their account numbers. And another one is freedom , they just use simple integers 

wrote:

That’s true.  It seems that public mobile use unique email address as their account number that means you can not use same email address register their accounts twice.

Public Mobile does not use the e-mail address as the account number.  If you port out from Public Mobile and use your registered e-mail address as the account number to go to another provider, the phone number transfer will fail.

Each Public Mobile account though must have a different e-mail address linked to it.

Joeyzhao
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That’s true.  It seems that public mobile use unique email address as their account number that means you can not use same email address register their accounts twice.

@srlawren that is the understatement of all time Cat Wink

I gave in to the devil Cat Mad and grabbed another promo SIM (it was so cheap I could not resist...) but after a couple of days am debating whether it is worth it or just to sell it (my RFD mailbox is blowing up when I mentioned this ha ha)

There are non advertised cheaper plans out there...

But network quality sucks still (my city shows B4+B66 upgrade all I can say is BS!)

wrote:

I think that Freedom still offers their version of the 10gig plan but most people find their network not as good as Telus/Bell and Rogers.  

Gwaiiguy

30 day 6 gb 3g for 52$-perks$. I like the sound of just renewing. Except  I won't get the  perks of autopay and referal.Frustration level with telus is 9000. They aren't willing to negotiate.

wrote:

50$ for 6 gb is around going rate for phone data. Telus won't give me a hub because I'm not in their service range ( I know I am I'm using it on my phone!) I couldn't find a better data deal in my area. Only Telus network is here. I don't mind switching to the other sim once my first 6gb is used. Also if I get a refferal than I guess for 2$ i save I can have another number and text. Way cheaper than buy another gig for 30 bucks on first sim.....

@Gwaiiguy

Too bad that Telus is digging in their heels when it comes to setting you up with a hub. It should actually be in their best interest, making you sign a waiver that you are signing up for the service on your own risk of not getting consistent service, done.

It's not entirely clear to me what plan you are on (30day or 90day? LTE light [="3G speed"] or LTE?)... However, keep in mind that you can contact the moderators to renew your plan early.

So, let's assume you are on 18GB LTE light / 90day... depending on your usage pattern you might run out of those 18GB of data on day 38, or 45, or 58, or? Make sure that you have your account topped up with the funds needed and send a message to the mods, asking for an early renewal. Not the perfect solution, but a better option than paying for data add-ons.

Gwaiiguy

I'm trying to get rid of my home internet because it is horrible. To bad PM wouldn't offer hub plans. Telus won't give me one because I shouldn't have signal but because of my booster I do. And way faster than the 900mhz I'm on. Really, if Telus can offer 50gb for 60$ on hub why are we all paying these bloated prices just because it goes to a phone. Sounds like price collusion to me. But, I digress...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Gwaiiguy wow 12GB a month total eh, that's as much as I have for 90 days.  😉  Well, to each their own!  

Too bad you didn't ask this a few weeks back during the $60/10 gig promo that Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo, and Virgin (not sure about Bell) were all running for a few days.  That would have been PERFECT for you, and you could have added a 3GB/$15 Fido tablet plan on top to get you to 12GB for $75/month.  I think that Freedom still offers their version of the 10gig plan but most people find their network not as good as Telus/Bell and Rogers.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Gwaiiguy

50$ for 6 gb is around going rate for phone data. Telus won't give me a hub because I'm not in their service range ( I know I am I'm using it on my phone!) I couldn't find a better data deal in my area. Only Telus network is here. I don't mind switching to the other sim once my first 6gb is used. Also if I get a refferal than I guess for 2$ i save I can have another number and text. Way cheaper than buy another gig for 30 bucks on first sim.....

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Gwaiiguy what is your current plan on your primary SIM?  The data-only plans at Public Mobile are pretty expensive.  You may want to look around.  But are you saying you need an extra 6GB / 30 days on top of whatever is on your existing account?  If so, it might be cheaper to look at a larger (single) data plan somewhere else and port your service out.  If you can give us more info on your current plan and needs, we might be able to give better advice (if desired, of course).

The other thing to consier is that most dual-SIM phones are "dual standby" not "dual active".  What this means is that you can only choose one SIM at a time to be active for data.  One possible downside of this is:  if you're on a call on your existing account on SIM1, and you are currently set to use SIM2 for data, you will not be able to use any mobile data for the duration of the call.  I mayself have experienced this with my OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 5T, both of which are dual-standby phones.  This may or may not be an issue for you, but I find it pretty annoying.  That said, there are some phones that are dual-active, which I think would not have that limitation; however, they are relatively rare to the best of my knowledge.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wrote:

I'll have to use the same credit card, and name though.... Will I still be able too. I'm looking at 6 gb per month

You can put the exact same information in both accounts, no problem.  But, you cannot reuse the email address.  Most customers user email aliases as a way around this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There shouldn't be an issue using the same card twice. 

Gwaiiguy

I'll have to use the same credit card, and name though.... Will I still be able too. I'm looking at 6 gb per month

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Gwaiiguy, if you set up a second account and use the first account to refer the second one, the first account will receive a referral credit.  Are you looking at 6 gigs per 30 or 90 days?

Need Help? Let's chat.