cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loyalty rewards after porting out

Azopp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi everyone!

I made a search and read many topics but can't find a clear answer on the following.

I'd like to port my number from PM to another provider, but I'd prefer to keep my account with another (new) phone number and another plan (cheapest, like $10/month for 50 minutes and 50 texts).

First of all: Will my Loyalty reward remain active after that process?

If really so, I think it worth keeping my account after the plan and # are changed. And what is the procedure, what steps do I perform?

I found some workaround, but that one is for keeping the same plan, whereas I want it changed:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/How-do-I-port-out-my-number-and-still-kee...

But if you think it's still applicable to me, how do I "open another PM account"? Does it mean I have to order a new SIM online? I'm afraid I have only 2 days remaining until my current 90 days period ends.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. With that $10 plan (https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/mb/plans/10for50talk50text😞 If I used up 50 mins/50 texts, how much will PM charge me for any additional min/sms?

5 REPLIES 5

@Azopp, please remember to keep your service active until you port out - otherwise you lose both the number, and your plan.

Azopp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks you so much guys!

I wasn't aware of the new policy. Ok, in that case there is no need to keep the account and I'd cancel totally now. Maybe I'll come back to PM later as a new user, when my another prepaid balance in another provider will be used up.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Azopp as @wetcoaster and @will13am mentioned, what you're hoping to do is not possible.  Once you port your number out the account will be cancelled.  There's no possible way to hold an account open when porting the number out.  So you'll have to decide if you want to start all over again, or just keep what you have now.  

Regarding your $10 plan question.  PM is a prepaid service provider, therefore they don't have overrage charges.  Once you use up your minutes and texts for that month, then that service will no longer work until the next month cycle resets.  So if you're going to the $10 plan make sure you absolutely know that that plan fits how you'll use the phone.  Don't waste the MODS time when the usage gets used up halfway through the month when clearly that plan is not designed for how you use the phone anyways.  Too many users crying for help because they wanted to save money on a plan that clearly was not designed for them.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Azopp, the practice of doing number shuffling between two account is no longer being done.  As already mentioned, if you port out the number from your existing account which is accumulating loyalty rewards, the account will close and all rewards lost.  Rewards are not transferrable between accounts. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Azopp wrote:

hi everyone!

I made a search and read many topics but can't find a clear answer on the following.

I'd like to port my number from PM to another provider, but I'd prefer to keep my account with another (new) phone number and another plan (cheapest, like $10/month for 50 minutes and 50 texts).

First of all: Will my Loyalty reward remain active after that process?

If really so, I think it worth keeping my account after the plan and # are changed. And what is the procedure, what steps do I perform?

I found some workaround, but that one is for keeping the same plan, whereas I want it changed:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/How-do-I-port-out-my-number-and-still-kee...

But if you think it's still applicable to me, how do I "open another PM account"? Does it mean I have to order a new SIM online? I'm afraid I have only 2 days remaining until my current 90 days period ends.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. With that $10 plan (https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/mb/plans/10for50talk50text😞 If I used up 50 mins/50 texts, how much will PM charge me for any additional min/sms?

Porting out will cancel your account immediately. You will loose any remaining service features and there are no refunds for unused portions of your current plan. 

Unlike other (post paid) providers you cannot keep an account after porting out the number because the system only allows one number per account.

Policy has changed and moderators are not able to do the work around anymore (confirmed by senior moderator Mary).

Since loyalty rewards are associated with the according account number you'll loose access to them too. 

Of course you can open another account (you need a new SIM, ordered online or from one of the retailers - Walmart, The Mobile Shop, London Drugs out west, and I think K Mobile? ) with the plan of your choice, but loyalty rewards will only kick in after you have had that particular account for a full year.

Public Mobile doesn't have pay as you go rates to complement the $10/50min/50texts plan. You can add one of the 200 or 400 long distance add-ons to get more minutes but there is no option to add texts, once your 50 texts are used up you either have to go without for the rest of the 30 days or renew your plan early (which would require moderator assistance, which can take several days)

Also: your Public Mobile account needs to be active for a successful port-out. I personally would not wait until the very last minute of the plan and would initiate the port as soon as possible (since you have only two days left of a 90 day plan your "double payment" is minimal...)

Need Help? Let's chat.