Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much effort to get to top 50?

jonahmt21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Please give me an idea on how much post i have to make? Thx

29 REPLIES 29

@softech @barndoor 

Oh yes snapping shut a flip phone when you hang up can be very satisfying when you are upset with the caller....just like slamming the phone down from the old days. Smartphones don't have that "feature". You are inclined to throw them away.....slamming them down tends to break them.

Despite being borrowed by the bf numerous times my little flipper is still going strong despite the screen not surviving a date with a piece of firewood from the log pile. It's currently enjoying a tour with a punk rock friend whose skills with technology are stretched at that to use the flip phone. But it takes a licking and keeps on ringing!

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

So, which phone you have now and which one was your old one?

@softech   Been using a relatives cast off I phones ... no idea which one I have .   Flip would be great ...unless they have changed that to . Mine does endure a rather abusive environment .😀

@barndoor wrote:

@Meow wrote:

Is that similar when in old days very few knew how to program computers and those who did know developed code with very small bugs so they had to fix it fix it fix it all the time? Great job security... Today bugs are called features. No wonder I am getting Win10 weekly updates with new 'features'.

Absolutely  .... I just want a phone that will make and receive a call or a text  , take a pic and  maybe has a calculator .  This last phone with all the " features " is driving me nuts and just about met a 4 lb hammer today . sometimes it reacts when you pass a finger over a button , sometimes you have to press the button three times   ...its just a nightmare compared to my old phones . 

@barndoor  You haven't get the latest phone yet.. the latest one now, you can flip to close it if you are really mad with it  LoL

So, which phone you have now and which one was your old one?

barndoor

@darlicious wrote:

@barndoor 

Technology don't you just love it!😃

@darlicious  ... oh absolutely ... I made a call this morning then hit the button to hang up  ,the screen changed ...then a minute later I hear a voice in my pocket . It never did hang up  just changed screen . Now I guess if I invested in an earpiece  I would have caught that wouldn't I ? 🙄

@barndoor 

Technology don't you just love it!😃

barndoor

@Meow wrote:

Is that similar when in old days very few knew how to program computers and those who did know developed code with very small bugs so they had to fix it fix it fix it all the time? Great job security... Today bugs are called features. No wonder I am getting Win10 weekly updates with new 'features'.

Absolutely  .... I just want a phone that will make and receive a call or a text  , take a pic and  maybe has a calculator .  This last phone with all the " features " is driving me nuts and just about met a 4 lb hammer today . sometimes it reacts when you pass a finger over a button , sometimes you have to press the button three times   ...its just a nightmare compared to my old phones . 

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

read more and learn then you can help others. 

coming to the top is a byproduct.

@stevenanto wrote:

People would all want to try to lower their bills, the other important of the community is to help others who have issues with whatever it may be. maybe you have had the same issue and can easily help someone else who is experiencing the same one. 

You do not have to have an issue resolved in order to help others.

Just reading posts, trying to understand what issue is, reading suggestions to resolve it and what solution was you learn and are ready to pass knowledge to others.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses a secret formula to issue community awards.  It is easier to get referrals from family and friends $1/referral to reduce your bill.  Also if you already signup for autopay to save $2 every 30 days.

stevenanto

People would all want to try to lower their bills, the other important of the community is to help others who have issues with whatever it may be. maybe you have had the same issue and can easily help someone else who is experiencing the same one. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@t_p wrote:

However you do get a kick when some ideas you put up help an user solve his/her issues. For those members who have come back and given me their heartfelt thanks because I've offered them a solution to get out of a real bind, I'll do it for free, again and again.

And that, my friend, is worth all the effort you put in.

This is very properly said! 👍

I doubt there are people who lurk here 24/7 just to lower monthly bill.

Helping others is the key word here. It is way more rewarding then reading useless tweets from 'celebrities' or 'following' somebody on soc. network.

@barndoor wrote:

Does that mean we should be offering huge kudos to PM for offering up this land of glitches and strange business protocols  with it's constant flow of questions  because it helps us to feel good ? 😀 🤣 

@barndoor wrote:

For me the key message is ..if you are learning something the extra buck or two is great 

I agree with you 100%. Getting $1-2 is nice perk to contribute to Community. But the most important (to me at least) is to be able to help other members. I understand how frustrating it could be signing with new service and suddenly - double charge, no calls are coming/going, no SMS, etc.

chainsawcowboy

@t_p 

I'm not an online kind of guy but by switching to public mobile its forced me into doing more things online. I thought having to ask for help either here or thru customer support would be a pain but instead I have learned much more about how my phone works and the internet in general than I have in the past 5 years in the last 6 months. I have even been able to offer a few suggestions to some other members and helped out a lady friend with her phone too.

barndoor

@t_p wrote:

However you do get a kick when some ideas you put up help an user solve his/her issues. For those members who have come back and given me their heartfelt thanks because I've offered them a solution to get out of a real bind, I'll do it for free, again and again.

Does that mean we should be offering huge kudos to PM for offering up this land of glitches and strange business protocols  with it's constant flow of questions  because it helps us to feel good ? 😀 🤣 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@jonahmt21 

Let's rephrase your question:

Do I have to work hard to get a couple of bucks a month?

If that's what you mean, then the short answer is Yes.

There are easier ways to achieve that goal like picking up empties in your neighborhood like some like to say.

But to stay practical, it depends on how many members are participating in the debates in a particular month. Probably you'd need a minimum of a dozen posts, which means you'll have to read, do some research, think then do some meaningful writing, all of which would take a minimum of an hour (or two in my case cos I'm a slow thinker and even slower typer!)

So, let's put the monetary rewards aside because we're basically doing volunteer work here. And as in all volunteer work, it's often a thankless job that brings its lot of disappointment , like when members who ask for help never bother to follow up their thread or giving feedback.

barndoor

@jib_tech wrote:

@jonahmt21 

I've gotten top 50% a couple of times. It's not that hard. If you've got some questions to ask or you post some answers. Bravo people. Kinda cool to learn something new once in awhile. It kills time on the bus or when I can't sleep like tonight. Buck off your Bill!

Yup ...make a congratulatory  post in a top contributors thread  and receive 15-20  bravos  and make 2 or three additional posts and that should get you in the top 50 % .  Throw in another  20-30 posts and should make top  25% . Of course these numbers will vary depending on the number of people posting during the month . For me the key message is ..if you are learning something the extra buck or two is great ....when you stop learning or receive no psychological benefit then you just become a very poorly paid PM CSA  with no benefits . 

chainsawcowboy

@computergeek541 

Lol! No but I'm pretty sure receiving them does! You get what give eh!

@jib_tech wrote:

@jonahmt21 

I've gotten top 50% a couple of times. It's not that hard. If you've got some questions to ask or you post some answers. Bravo people. Kinda cool to learn something new once in awhile. It kills time on the bus or when I can't sleep like tonight. Buck off your Bill!

I agree that top 50% is achievable with a small amount of effort, but giving bravos doesn't earn rewards.

jib_tech

@jonahmt21 

@walker1 

Unless we are talking complete split personalities @Yummy and @Meow  are two different people. I can't say 100% for sure as I haven't gone out to dinner with them or anything to conclusively say yep two different people but I have had enough private chats to conclude they are indeed two separate entities with different interests, jobs, pets etc.....sorry to disappoint you there is no conspiracy here.

@jonahmt21 

I think @Meow  is a little confused with top 50 % which as @Dunkman has correctly noted is the easiest to achieve. Both top 50% and top 25% can be achieved by popping in a few times a week and participating in the conversation. 

When you first start out you are the one asking the questions...thats how you learn. Read posts, reply when it asks for opinions or to share your experience. Search for answers using the search bar by putting in a questions or a few key words and tapping go. A bunch of threads will pop with green check marks indicating solutions. Get the same solution for similar questions then that's likely the answer (not counting contact the moderators/CSA's/customer support)....I mean that could be the answer to every question but then we wouldn't need a community then would we?

So just come hang out, ask, post, reply, bravo, award a solution and eventually you will be answering the questions, getting bravos along with giving them to posts you like or learn from or make you laugh even.....and solutions will come your way too....it doesn't take a lot just learn about your pm service and how to manage your self serve account. And if you like helping others you will fit right in. Around the 5th or 6th of each month you may just get a surprise community reward appear in your account.

@walker1 wrote:

@Yummy  What's the purpose of replying to the same post as both @Yummy  and @@Meow ?   Is that one way of getting to the top 50 rating?

I do not what is your problem???

I have no control over what other member is replying or writing. I have only ONE account with PM and NO I do not care to get to top 50 so please stop with such harassment!

@Yummy  What's the purpose of replying to the same post as both @Yummy  and @@Meow ?   Is that one way of getting to the top 50 rating?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@jonahmt21  Idea is enjoy helping others.  Come here one or twice a week and answer couple questions.  Also remember to give Bravos to great posts.  Then, great thing will happen  🙂

@Dunkman wrote:

@jonahmt21 

As mentioned above, the exact formula is unknown.  Top 50 requires the least work.  In general, we recommend quality over quantity.  Maybe 10-20 posts with several bravoes would likely obtain top 50.  

Most regulars are here to help other customers.  Earning money via community rewards is not worth the time usually, especially the higher rewards.  

Do you know that (bold) as a fact? Can you provide a table with user names and their number of postings/bravos/solutions accepted?

I still believe idea being here is to help others and not to be top 10 or earn $$$$

Idea is to HELP and assist others which is rewarded with few bucks per billing cycle. To get into top 50 will require excellent knowledge of Public Mobile and being on line quite a lot in order to be first/second to answer call for assistance.

Reward formula (secret one) is based on number of posting (meaningful!), solution accepted, bravos received/given.

I would never post just to get to 'top 50' but to try to assist other members.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jonahmt21 

As mentioned above, the exact formula is unknown.  Top 50 requires the least work.  In general, we recommend quality over quantity.  Maybe 10-20 posts with several bravoes would likely obtain top 50.  

Most regulars are here to help other customers.  Earning money via community rewards is not worth the time usually, especially the higher rewards.  

Dtack

@jonahmt21 - there is a secret formula that PM uses.  If you post a few times a month, and get and receive bravos along the way you will soon see if you are successful.  I often get either the top 25 or once in awhile the top 50.  I think the effort put in is rewarded, so keep trying and if you spend time answering questions, asking questions and getting and receiving bravos you will probably be rewarded.  Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.