cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do rewards still apply if I leave PM for a couple years?

bsperanz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My LG G4 just died (infamous LG boot loop) and I've been with PM for 3 years or so. I can't really afford a new phone outright so I am contemplating changing providers to get a new phone as part of a 2 year plan. I do intend to return to PM right after as the service and cost is great. Upon my return, will my current rewards be transferred/recognized? 

7 REPLIES 7

peaceloveandjay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@bsperanz Have a look at the phones that PM sell, they are refurbs, but great value, we recently bought my daughter a iPhone 8. When you factor in the cost of the phone being piled into your monthly plan with another provider, you do better to stay with PM in my opinion.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bsperanz 

I just ordered the same phone as @will13am suggested last night after posting about it.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Google-Pixel-3-XL/m-p/699136/highligh...

Consider what you would be paying elsewhere under contract. You are already earning a minimum of $5 ($2 autopay+$3 loyalty) in rewards if not more with referrals and with regular participation in the community you could easily earn a $2 community reward =$7 minimum in rewards. The cost of the google pixel 3 is about $180 cdn. When divided over 24 months of a "contract" that equals $7.50 a month. Do your rewards exceed that? In two years your loyalty increases another $2. By leaving you would lose all of that.....find a way to cover the purchase. If its a loan it can be paid back in 4 monthly payments of $45 or 6 monthly payments of $30. Even the worst of credit card interest would only add $20 to payments spread over 6 months.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If you look at the contract pricing vs a similar PM plan, then take a look at how much more you pay for the “contract plan” vs PM. You will likely find that you are paying for the phone. Nothing is free.  I would consider a second hand phone. 

Then work on referrals. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bsperanz , give this deal a check.  B&H is a really reputable retailer.  Their cross border shipping process is a breeze.  It cost $1USD service charge which is nothing.  Check out this deal.  B&H will process sales tax to clear customs for the $1 service charge.  There are no other duties on phones.  For ON, it comes to $182 all in.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1636459-REG/google_ga00465_us_pixel_3_64gb_smartphone.html

I do not recommend buying a service for 2 years just to get a cell phone.  The total cost is so expensive that it makes no sense.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Your account must be active and in good standing to earn and use Rewards. It cannot be in a suspended or deactivated status.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bsperanz : There are lots of current, non-flagship phones available out there. Even somewhat older but still able to run the latest OS's.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@bsperanz wrote:

My LG G4 just died (infamous LG boot loop) and I've been with PM for 3 years or so. I can't really afford a new phone outright so I am contemplating changing providers to get a new phone as part of a 2 year plan. I do intend to return to PM right after as the service and cost is great. Upon my return, will my current rewards be transferred/recognized? 

Once your current account is closed / ported out...your Rewards are gone. You'd need to start over when you come back, if you close your current PM account.

Need Help? Let's chat.