cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did not get SMS for referral reward but referredee got the $10 bonus

stumbly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had just signed up and activated with Public Mobile on Dec 31 (just in time for bonus offers) and someone asked for my referral code while I was browsing PM Community to activate on that day as well. 

The referred person says the $10 updated to account now but I never got an SMS that my referral code had been used nor any $1 reward in My Account which seems to normally update quickly for referral rewards based on Community info. 

I did read on Reddit that there can be issues if the referrer account is fairly new before the referree uses and claims the code of the referrer ...

Should I wait longer for the $1 reward to appear on my own account or will I need to ask the referree to submit a ticket behalf of the $1 reward for me as they already got the $10 bonus?  As far as I know, my referral code was used.  

18 REPLIES 18

stumbly

@Arsenio21 

as I replied to esjliv earlier, I already checked my Rewards details section and not referral bonus there. 

Did private message MODs and was told to wait and see if the referral bonus came up during renewal payment before they would try investigating further ....

Arsenio21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Try checking on you Account Overview, on the left side see "Refer-a-Friend Reward" it should have ($1) for every friend you refer using your unique code. Other option is try checking it another day maybe it will be updated on your account.

@stumbly

Thanks for confirming.

You should go out and buy a lotto ticket. That does not happen very often. Very very rare.

Especially when new signups hardly know how to post in the right category, make multiple posts saying thank you, can't really imagine them figuring out how to click someone's profile and sending them a message. To another brand new customer no less. Who had 3 posts ( 8 now with this thread)

You must have a horseshoe 😂 definitely buy a Lotto ticket.

stumbly

@Jb456 

btw, great observation/attention to details sleuthing

🙌🏼

@stumbly wrote:

@Jb456 

yes, it was a private message from a newer community member who asked if Inwould share my referral code, so I shared it on the community via private messaging and not sending any spam or unsolicited referrals.  Haven’t shared my code anywhere else nor to anyone else yet.

Of course there’s a chance they used someone else’s, but it doesn’t sound like way to me from the private messages. 

You need to be sure. Unless the member confirmed to you that your code was used, a different one was likely used. 

stumbly

@Anonymous 

lol, touché on the pun. I will private msg the other user if I still don’t see the $1 reward later this week and that will firm up whether there were any typos or issues. My referral code happens to be all letters although the one I was referred with was a mix of letters numbers. 

stumbly

@Jb456 

yes, it was a private message from a newer community member who asked if I would share my referral code, so I shared it on the community via private messaging and not sending any spam or unsolicited referrals.  Haven’t shared my code anywhere else nor to anyone else yet.

Of course there’s a chance they used someone else’s, but it doesn’t sound that way to me from the private messages. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Haven't we always instructed the new customer to contact the mods? If it was an anonymous referral then the existing customer obviously can't do much about it. I would even say tough noogies. If it was in fact a friend or relative then the existing customer can review with them what they entered to confirm how it went wrong for the existing customer. Then the new customer can ask the mods to change it. But would they? Then changing referrals for any reason could happen. So I don't think this should go anywhere. But who knows what the mods might accept.

I do not recall anything officially stated about that. What I will say is if the referrer opens the ticket, this customer will need to be abloe to provide information about the new acivation. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any way for the moderators to look this up.

@computergeek541 , @Anonymous 

My personal experience:  my friend used my referral code last year. I did not get the $1, but my friend got the $10. I put in a ticket. Mods could not do anything. They said it had to come from the person who entered the referral code.

No problem, my friend put in a ticket with the mods with all the info. Some more back and forths. Then voila, all done.

So in my own experience, it was the referee who had to confirm everything with the mods. Therefore, that is how I recommend it to others.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Haven't we always instructed the new customer to contact the mods? If it was an anonymous referral then the existing customer obviously can't do much about it. I would even say tough noogies. If it was in fact a friend or relative then the existing customer can review with them what they entered to confirm how it went wrong for the existing customer. Then the new customer can ask the mods to change it. But would they? Then changing referrals for any reason could happen. So I don't think this should go anywhere. But who knows what the mods might accept.

I do not recall anything officially stated about that. What I will say is if the referrer opens the ticket, this customer will need to be abloe to provide information about the new acivation. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any way for the moderators to look this up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

The person who used your referral code is the one the moderators will want to hear from to confirm your code was used.

This is ture that a moderator may want to talk to the person who used the referral code, but it's actually @stumbly (the referrer) who needs to open the ticket. This is because authorization needs to be given to the moderators to look into an account and apply an reward, and because of the fact that the issue is with the referer's account.

@computergeek541 

@esjliv wrote:

The person who used your referral code is the one the moderators will want to hear from to confirm your code was used.

This is ture that a moderator may want to talk to the person who used the referral code, but it's actually @stumbly (the referrer) who needs to open the ticket. This is because authorization needs to be given to the moderators to look into an account and apply an reward, and because of the fact that the issue is with the referer's account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 

Who's Chanys? I should read stuff first. I don't see the chronology there either.

It's not over-analyzing. It's noticing things and being aware...throw in some good memory... All good.

@Anonymous  if I had to throw out a wild guess. (Again OP don't take any offence) I'd say the referral might be Chanys.

It was on the 31st. 404 activation error. I responded and got the solution and in my response it always says "Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 signup bonus" 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Help-I-get-404-server-error-msg-halfway-through-activation/m-p/635138#M130270

This OP responded to the thread saying they got 404 error code to, used the chat to activate and thankfully they encountered the error as first time they forgot to put the referral code in.

That's just me bored over analyzing 😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 : Yeah I was a little confused about the chronology too. I just assumed he meant that he gave his newly activated code to someone else who then activated. Maybe just another customer waiting to activate. Maybe a friend went with him.

@stumbly : A tricky thing with these codes are the letters and numbers. Maybe yours has a zero and maybe you wrote it out and it looked like an oh. etc. That other new customer may have stumbled (heh heh) onto a a valid code and got their 10 bucks anyway.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@stumbly   if I understand correctly. You joined Public Mobile and you were on these forums and someone asked you for your referral code?

Hmm. Did they send you a private message or did they post on a thread asking for a code? As I looked through your forum posts and do not see anyone ask for a code. Usually on here daily and haven't seen anyone ask for a code.

Not accusing you of anything but do take note it is against the forum rules to send unsolicited messages with referral codes to new members. People do still do it but it's frowned upon.

There are two legit ways to give someone on these forums your referral code.

1 - The person posts on a thread or starts their own thread asking for one.

2 - The person sends a private message to someone asking for a code.

Regardless. If the person says they got their $10 and you don't see auto-pay ($1) under my rewards. Then chances are they used someone else's code. Nothing Public Mobile can do at this point. They don't go back in really and change referral codes. There have been instances they have and that's been more on the case of a store employee trying to use their code. 

@stumbly ,

Yes, hopefully, it will get applied within a few more days.

FYI-

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

stumbly

@esjliv 

I did click on my rewards details and it does not even list Refer-A-Friend (only Autopay and Community although I am way too new for any community rewards).  I assume it will list Refer-A-Friend once I have at least 1 recognized referral under my belt as I suspect the $1 reward is in limbo for having been too new of an account when my personal code was used. 

i will try waiting 3 more days before messaging the referred to send a message to moderators or submitting a ticket to check. 

Cheers

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @stumbly ,

Check under your My Rewards section, is there anything there when you click the right pointing arrow? 

esjliv_0-1598444864917.png

Need Help? Let's chat.