cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community rewards

Megs20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone. I was wondering how often we have to post ( an estimated amount) in the community to gain rewards?

48 REPLIES 48

JenL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Staliger I appreciate your post, it is helpful.

JenL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LovesToPM great advice thank you!

@Ed404  To tell you the truth I have no idea what a board view is...i was thinking page views...i got mixed up but posts read is telling enough.  Looks like you almost as bad as me! I'm almost at 4 months here with 1965/39106/91724  and about 575 hours which is a little frightening to look at on the screen. I wonder if your hours online include before you signed up or only after since your other stats include most of November. Do you think you've spent 3 hours a day on average.? Thanks for the stats if you give me page views as well ill be back with my theory on the calculation of community rewards. I won't be able to scientifically calculate it til January when I can get beginning and end of month stats from random profiles rather than just averaging newer member stats. But I think you can see where I'm going with this with my 5 examples....which is proving my original theory mostly wrong!

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@Ed404  The more I think about this the more it makes sense....but I have a question for you since you are newer it makes an easier comparison. If you don't want to share I understand or if you prefer by private message then please do...how many board views and/or posts read do you have to date?

I don't mind as long as it's scientific. I currently have 203 board views and 16320 posts read. What's a board view?

Oh neat they tell me how many minutes I've been online. So I've been online for 54 hours since the end of November. Crazy!

@Ed404  The more I think about this the more it makes sense....but I have a question for you since you are newer it makes an easier comparison. If you don't want to share I understand or if you prefer by private message then please do...how many board views and/or posts read do you have to date?

@computergeek541  Well I can't disagree with you as you have been here much longer than me and that star beside your username denotes your deserved status and knowledge. But I think it would be quite difficult to game the system in that way at the present date. The top 1% is almost impossibly hard to achieve and I know how much time is required to get to the top 5%. But f its simply by quantity over quality how is there such a large difference in the top 10% level that those who post 10× as much as others are at the same level unless post/bravo/solution stats are considered? A very high low quality post count can be countered by a very low post count with quality quantified by a very high ratio of bravos and solutions.

Ed404

@computergeek541 wrote:

Sadly, I'l say again that while quality of posts is appreciated by other members, quality means very little when it comes to Community rewards. It's entirely possible for members to post nothing but garbage such as 2 word word repsonses or messages with just plan wrong information and still earn top 1% or top 5% while receiving very few bravos from other members.  Unfortuantely, it has happened.

Hmm, this system could do with some improvement, but that'll never happen Smiley LOL

@darlicious 

Sadly, I'l say again that while quality of posts is appreciated by other members, quality means very little when it comes to Community rewards. It's entirely possible for members to post nothing but garbage such as 2 word word repsonses or messages with just plan wrong information and still earn top 1% or top 5% while receiving very few bravos from other members.  Unfortuantely, it has happened.

@popping  After @wetcoaster inquired about the community rewards and pm agreed there was a glitch and awarded him top 10% perhaps you should inquire about October seeing as only 2 members made top 1% compared to the usual 3. There have been observations of a drop in badge/award recipients so maybe a glitch is eliminating a small percentage of deserving users but only the higher earning regular recipients would realize an obvious mistake as @Anonymous has pointed out. All this talk of post/bravo/solution count got me thinking about my theory that quality beating quantity and most respondents to this thread disagreeing with this view. I decided to loosely account for November's badge recipients in this thread (4 of you) and one who's stats got me theorizing on the quality of post being of greater importance. Quantity only factors in to bump up a level between 1%, 5% and 10%. The stats being loosely averaged so my brain didn't get too googled down by the math....is as follows:

@popping         high post count: 1 post/2 bravos/6.5% solution rate= top 1%

@darlicious      high post count  2 posts/1bravo/2.0% solution rate= top 5%

@88cranston   med. post count 2 posts/1 bravo/ 0.25% solution rate=top 10%

@Ed404            med. post count 2 posts/1 bravo/2.0% solution rate= top 10%

@wetcoaster    low post count  1 post/2 bravos/20% solution rate= top 10%

1. @popping  had 20% more posts than @darlicious they both had approximately 300% (4×) more posts than @88cranston  and @Ed404   who both had about 900% (10×) more than @wetcoaster . All of these members produce high quality posts and quantity is reflected in a higher rewards but quality is not necessarily equated with post/bravo ratios or solution percentages but by producing quality posts that inform and help but don't always generate bravos or solutions I think what is written is being monitored by more than a computer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

Sometime, @Anonymous had commented that I edited my posts too much.  As a result, my bravo/post count ratio went down and my November reward went up by one level.

@popping 

I have no recollection of saying anything like this either here or in pm. Nor have I looked. I'm just surprised someone claims I would say such a thing. Was this recently in November or sometime way before in some other context? Can you point out to me where I said such things?

Sorry @Anonymous .  If I misunderstood what you said or may be someone else, it was long time ago. Please accept my appology.

@popping No problem. I then remembered that I have said to a few people that doing multiple fast edits on a post might cause it to disappear. But that's not suggesting they don't edit their posts.

I might have pointed out to the odd Oracle here and there about editing their posts after leaving a blank sitting there like a placeholder. But they're Oracles.

I might have joked to a regular about editing their posts afterwards but again that's not saying don't. And of course who am I to say. 🙂

I do remember for Oct that I was surprised that you weren't in the 1%. So I do wonder if some odd things are being computed.

Ed404

@computergeek541 wrote:

It's fully automated unless someone complains about something ahead of time.

Oh I thought I read something about them verifying it. Cool

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

Sometime, @Anonymous had commented that I edited my posts too much.  As a result, my bravo/post count ratio went down and my November reward went up by one level.

@popping 

I have no recollection of saying anything like this either here or in pm. Nor have I looked. I'm just surprised someone claims I would say such a thing. Was this recently in November or sometime way before in some other context? Can you point out to me where I said such things?

Sorry @Anonymous .  If I misunderstood what you said or may be someone else, it was long time ago. Please accept my appology.

@Ed404 wrote:

@DonForgo wrote:

If they do it by 'ratio' of post to bravos, then people will catch on soon, and create multiple accounts to spam bravos. 

Public Mobile would easily detect this mass bravo account then ignore bravos from that account. It's just a waste of time considering humans do verify contribution before rewards are given out.

It's fully automated unless someone complains about something ahead of time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@popping 

Ed404

@darlicious wrote:

I  don't know...now. Are you saying the higher award/badge level is highly based in receiving a high bravo to count ratio as @popping  mentioned. 2 bravos/1 post average is better than 1/1 or am I getting it confused and it's better to have 1bravo/2 posts average?

Bravos to the outside world are meaningless, but people know what posts are and advertising you have a community who posts X amount each month is a great selling point for this community support lol.

I  don't know...now. Are you saying the higher award/badge level is highly based in receiving a high bravo to count ratio as @popping  mentioned. 2 bravos/1 post average is better than 1/1 or am I getting it confused and it's better to have 1bravo/2 posts average?

Ed404

@DonForgo wrote:

If they do it by 'ratio' of post to bravos, then people will catch on soon, and create multiple accounts to spam bravos. 

Public Mobile would easily detect this mass bravo account then ignore bravos from that account. It's just a waste of time considering humans do verify contribution before rewards are given out.

@DonForgo wrote:

I think it's a balance that is difficult to balance, 

I'm sure there are measurements of 'engagement', the amount of total posts, that they can 'brag' in advertising, like, over xx million posts by community members! 

People caught on long ago. This is why there are so many questionable messages and messages that repeat others days, weeks, or months later, because people have caught on that even the top tier of Community rewards are achievable based almost entirely on quantity.

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think it's a balance that is difficult to balance, 

I'm sure there are measurements of 'engagement', the amount of total posts, that they can 'brag' in advertising, like, over xx million posts by community members! 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I always do a screenshot of the bravo leaderbaord page on the evening of last day of each month.  About 4 - 5 months ago, the contributor(s) with less bravos than I had received higher reward level than I did.  I contacted moderator couple of times.  Finally, a moderator sent a request to back office to investigate.  I never got an answer back.

I don't post if I don't have any extra to add to a thread.  My bravo/post count ratio is around 2.  I did an experiment in November.  I posted more than usual.  Instead of keep adding info to one post, I create more posts. Sometime, @Anonymous had commented that I edited my posts too much.  As a result, my bravo/post count ratio went down and my November reward went up by one level.

This proved that PM does not reward members for quality posts.

@wetcoaster  I am very happy you decided to question the awarding of November's community rewards and the moderators adjusted it accordingly. Congratulations on your contributions they are appreciated.

@wetcoaster wrote:

I think December rewards are going to be really interesting, with all those new posters in the gift card thread (over 3300 post as of today, yikes!). And it could easily be that 20/40 will not be enough anymore in the future...

Concerns about the contest thread have been raised with Public Mobile. It simply would not be fair if one person posts hundreds of nonsense messages burried in such a thread and earned rewards by doing that. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I beg to differ with the opinion that quantity beats quality and bravo and post count are highly valued in the calculation of rewards. I do believe @wetcoaster  you may have been overlooked by chance or glitch in receiving a community reward but how you go about rectifying it is a mystery but don't let it deter you if you enjoy the time you do spend on the community but if helping others is not reward enough and the monetary reward is more important than perhaps personally you don't feel your effort is worth it.

The matter of quality over quantity is undoubtedly how it should be, but that it doesn't always play out in that manner.

Bravos are easily the determinng factor for quality. Quality posts do tend to get more of them, but there is no one verifying the validity of each bravo. We know that bravos do count because there are people who haven't logged in during a given month who have earned reward badges.

Quantity also matters very much. Sadly, there have been some in the past who have received very high Community reward levels while getting almost no bravos that month and who know that posting a high amount of literally worthless message will earn a reward.

The exact formula is a secret, but quantity is a very large part of it.

As for wetcoaster's case, I agree that wetcoaster as been a long time valuable member with much insight.  Not that long ago, we see a drastic decrease in the amount of Community rewards at each level. It's not that far fetched that roughly 20 posts and 40 bravos is no longer enough to earn a reward. Yes, there could be a mistake, but there"s really no way to know for sure.

Just to clear this up from my side.

I'm not here for the money (I might not post as much as I used to, due to having a life and running a business... but I'm still reading here on a nearly daily basis.) And I don't consider myself having a sense of entitlement when it comes to rewards. I initially thought I'd just let it slide, actually.

However, seeing that others with clearly less contribution, whatever way you slice it, got the 50% rewards felt somewhat unfair, I thought I'd deserve some recognition as much as those 50%ers (I'm human, sorry!).

Long story short (and as mentioned elswhere), the mods looked into it and deemed it a system glitch, making a manual correction. Thank you, Public Mobile! And thanks to those community members who supported me in this.

I think December rewards are going to be really interesting, with all those new posters in the gift card thread (over 3300 post as of today, yikes!). And it could easily be that 20/40 will not be enough anymore in the future...

Ed404

@Megs20 If you visit the community every day and make some meaningful comments and help users you will be on track for receiving some sort of community contribution reward.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Megs20 wrote:

Hi everyone. I was wondering how often we have to post ( an estimated amount) in the community to gain rewards?

@Megs20  As you can see theories abound as to what it might take to earn a community reward. The simple answer is....there isn't one. To summarize use the community to learn all about public mobile and how to manage your account. In doing that the personal empowerment will be rewarding in itself but if you enjoy the time you spend here you will soon be able to use your new found knowledge to help others both on this forum and among your friends and family that you may refer and help along their way. Everyone's contribution fosters a stronger community and the chance of a monetary reward creates some excitement and anticipation at the beginning of every month. Look how your curiosity has sparked a lively debate, the sharing of experience, opinionated responses and answers to your query but a definitive solution? That is up to you to decide......

@darlicious wrote:

I beg to differ with the opinion that quantity beats quality and bravo and post count are highly valued in the calculation of rewards. I do believe @wetcoaster  you may have been overlooked by chance or glitch in receiving a community reward but how you go about rectifying it is a mystery but don't let it deter you if you enjoy the time you do spend on the community but if helping others is not reward enough and the monetary reward is more important than perhaps personally you don't feel your effort is worth it.

The matter of quality over quantity is undoubtedly how it should be, but that it doesn't always play out in that manner.

Bravos are easily the determinng factor for quality. Quality posts do tend to get more of them, but there is no one verifying the validity of each bravo. We know that bravos do count because there are people who haven't logged in during a given month who have earned reward badges.

Quantity also matters very much. Sadly, there have been some in the past who have received very high Community reward levels while getting almost no bravos that month and who know that posting a high amount of literally worthless message will earn a reward.

The exact formula is a secret, but quantity is a very large part of it.

As for wetcoaster's case, I agree that wetcoaster as been a long time valuable member with much insight.  Not that long ago, we see a drastic decrease in the amount of Community rewards at each level. It's not that far fetched that roughly 20 posts and 40 bravos is no longer enough to earn a reward. Yes, there could be a mistake, but there"s really no way to know for sure.

@darlicious wrote:

@Ed404  There is staff that decide who, how and when they decide to award the community rewards. 

No, there isn't. This is almost certainly completely automated.  Changes can be made before rewards are given out but it is rarely done.

Ed404

@darlicious I suppose that could be true. I think the more realistic way to measure quality is by looking at random posts each user has created and see if the quality holds up.

@Ed404  There is staff that decide who, how and when they decide to award the community rewards. Whose to say that reading threads and identifying quality posts is not divided among  a few staffers put into a computer program to award based on merit. If you are a daily participant and an avid reader it would not be difficult or time consuming to read the vast majority of daily posts I can easily read them in any one day. Simply look at your own stats on page/post/ board views and you might be surprised at how many you have covered. Bold lettering indicates threads  that have unviewed posts. After guessing i had read 1500 messages in the first 10 days here i checked my current total...i believe i far underestimated my count. Of course this is only a theory but i feel holds true versus those posting repetetive answers, short sentence or one word posts and high bravo ratios.

Ed404

@darlicious I agree and disagree, but Public Mobile is a cheap service because they rely on the community as support. Who would be paid to read all our comments to verify quality?

Need Help? Let's chat.