cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community rewards

Megs20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone. I was wondering how often we have to post ( an estimated amount) in the community to gain rewards?

48 REPLIES 48

@LovesToPM wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

Well, 21 posts, 42 bravo's and 4 solutions in November 2019 (I spent an average of 45minutes/day in the community and strive for quality over quantity in my posts) resulted in absolutely zero rewards for me. 

From my experience over one month, I'm fairly sure the system weighs posts and bravos higher over solutions. Quality is good, but I don't think they're reading every post you make to determine your reward. Quantity over quality is what I'm seeing.

Thanks for putting me into my place. But you can turn it however you want, even in  pure numbers rank #40 on the leaderboard with 21 posts and 42 bravos is still more and better ratio than some community members who actually got the 50% November badge (I saw a,r randomly and not picking on anybody, a 12/18 on the bottom of page 3). I

rest my case, it's not worth my time.

@wetcoaster  For sure, you are making quality contributions. It certainly looks like you should have received something to acknowledge your contributions.

However I do not know the dates of activity that PM uses to calculate the rewards. We all seem to assume it is the calendar month.

@LovesToPM  @wetcoaster @Ed404  @computergeek541  I beg to differ with the opinion that quantity beats quality and bravo and post count are highly valued in the calculation of rewards. I do believe @wetcoaster  you may have been overlooked by chance or glitch in receiving a community reward but how you go about rectifying it is a mystery but don't let it deter you if you enjoy the time you do spend on the community but if helping others is not reward enough and the monetary reward is more important than perhaps personally you don't feel your effort is worth it.

I believe more than anything the quality of your post is the single largest factor in the determination of community rewards calculations. If your posts contribute meaningful, helpful and insightful message to the community that may or may not help an individuals issue but also educates the community as a whole then it's value towards rewards is higher than posts that repeat the same information, are copy and pasted from clipboards or show diagrams readily available within pms help and knowledge articles or any post that contains misinformation or have no contributable value.  While bravos and post count have some value having a high bravo count simply because you are within the first 5 users to comment on an announcement post (the first 5 will often have 10, 20 or 30 bravos does not mean they have the same value as a single bravo on an informative post that directly helps one user. 20 of those may be equal to the single bravo in its context. A few members I have followed who have achieved top 10% status have comparatively low post and bravo counts and very low solution counts (If any) but consistently produce high quality, informative and innovative posts 90 % of the time. Reading posts accounts somewhat in the calculation...why else would that even be tracked individually and perhaps plays into the amount read compared to the amount of posts calculating how one chooses if posting a comment is needed. I have read an inordinate amount of threads and posts but only post a response if I think I can add a different perspective or notice something that was missed that could be of importance to the OP. This is the overall impression I get from what influences the rankings in awarding community rewards. As @Ed404  knows from reading my own experience in achieving community rewards there are many different factors. For the benefit of the OP of this thread I looked up my own first month of stats but with only the last 10 days of August counting toward that months rewards in which I recieved top 25% and a $2 reward. This is for @Megs20  benefit. All my contribution in August were mostly for my own benefit as I had a lot to learn and a technology  challenged individual....I made 57 posts and recieved 17 bravos. I authored 14 different subjects  and marked 8 of them as solved and gave out 10 bravos. I got my first solution on Sept 1st so I don't believe that was in the calculation for the reward and I spent about 3000 minutes online.  If I had to hazard a guess because I didn't note the amount of posts I had read but going on what I had read to date it was probably 1500.  So take these stats at your will but hopefully this gives you a different perspective on the calculation for a top 25% rank and a $2 reward. You really don't want to know what it takes for top 5 % in my case but top 10 % is achievable with high quality posts versus all other factors combined in my personal observations.

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

refer people and activate is far more profitable 

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

Well, 21 posts, 42 bravo's and 4 solutions in November 2019 (I spent an average of 45minutes/day in the community and strive for quality over quantity in my posts) resulted in absolutely zero rewards for me. 

From my experience over one month, I'm fairly sure the system weighs posts and bravos higher over solutions. Quality is good, but I don't think they're reading every post you make to determine your reward. Quantity over quality is what I'm seeing.

Thanks for putting me into my place. But you can turn it however you want, even in  pure numbers rank #40 on the leaderboard with 21 posts and 42 bravos is still more and better ratio than some community members who actually got the 50% November badge (I saw a,r randomly and not picking on anybody, a 12/18 on the bottom of page 3). I

@wetcoaster  For sure, you are making quality contributions. It certainly looks like you should have received something to acknowledge your contributions.

However I do not know the dates of activity that PM uses to calculate the rewards. We all seem to assume it is the calendar month.

@Ed404 wrote:

No one is going to deny that quality should matter more than anything else. However, an automated rewards system is not going to know the difference between good and bad quality. Even if bravos and solutions are used to make an estimate of the overall quality, those, once again, are only numbers. Unfortunately, because it is a numbers game, there are ways to for someone to gain rewards in a less than favorable manner.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster wrote:

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend you.

I think you should check with the mods to make sure this isn't a mistake. I've seen your posts several times over the community and I think you should have received something.

@wetcoaster   I didn't read any negative inference in @Ed404  post, I thought he was just trying to explain what his reading was of the way the community rewards seem to be allocated. 

Unfortunately, since we don't know for sure how PM evaluates everyone's post count, bravos, and accepted solutions into the equation when determining who qualifies for any particular badge/rewards,  it's become a bit of a guessing game.  My guess is that post count seems to work in favour of the argument that quantity over quality is playing some part, which would seem to be unfair in my view.

Anyway, I'm surprised that you didn't receive any rewards for November, you would definitely have a case for doing enough to warrant getting at least $2 or more.  Maybe sending a message to moderators might be a good idea in case one of many glitches in PM's system might have been responsible for not recognizing that you qualified.  JMO:)

@Ed404 wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

I have to agree with this assessment, it would be impossible to read every post, so the system seems to be weighted in favour of quantity rather than quality posts with helpful suggestions/advice.

Ed404

@wetcoaster wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

It really depends on total forum activity during that month.

I'd say roughly 20 posts and bravos will earn you $1. And exponential work required to earn anything higher.

I understand that the formula is kept a secret to avoid gaming the system, but seeing some increasing randomness on how the rewards are allocated, coupled with people camping out in the community means that even smaller community rewards will become harder and harder to get. I would not count on getting any unless you are willing to put a huge amount of work in.

Post as you can, be willing to help for the satisfaction of helping, you might get rewarded with a buck or two off your next bill or you might not.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@Megs20 It is not based on posting, but on how many bravos and accepted as solution. 

Post count most definitely is a factor, although no one knows to what extent. 

Ed404

If you're looking to get more than $1 off every 30 days here's what you should do. Enable email notifications so you can reply quickly. Have the community pinned in Google Chrome so you see it every time you open it and regularly check it for new posts.

People here have said before this community requires a lot of time dedication and you'd probably be better "collecting metal cans" to cover costs. However, some people like engaging with the community and don't treat it as "work" instead they do it for fun.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

First thing I did was read and learn the PM system.  What issues can only be solved by the moderator team as we, as a PM subscriber, cannot access the account of other subscribers.  Most of my early posts are direct people to moderator.  Please, don't blindly send people to moderator.  Be prepare to spend lot of time on the forum to learn.

Stay Safe!

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Megs20 wrote:

Hi everyone. I was wondering how often we have to post ( an estimated amount) in the community to gain rewards?

Just be active and help people. You'll be rewarded for it eventually.Smiley Happy

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

It really depends on total forum activity during that month.

I'd say roughly 20 posts and bravos will earn you $1. And exponential work required to earn anything higher.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Megs20 It is not based on posting, but on how many bravos and accepted as solution. 

Need Help? Let's chat.