Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenges signing ppl up ??!

Savebig2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey PM community !

We are special ! We save each month $$$ 

do you ever struggle to convince ppl to switch over??! What are the common excuses you hear and strategies to deal with them?!! 
much love PM

47 REPLIES 47

@Korth 

Technically your loyalty reward shows up on day 361 in the rewards section of your self serve account. It then gets applied to your renewal after 390 days just after midnight eastern on day 391.

@esjliv wrote:

Are you coming up on your $1 Loyalty Reward....Exciting!! It should show up on your account on the 360th day after you activated with PM. If you were not suspended for much time during your services.

Not quite.

360 days after activation, you are pre-paying your 13th 30-day billing cycle without the 1-year Loyalty Reward (because 360 days < 365 days).

390 days after activation, you are pre-paying your 14th 30-day billing cycle with the 1-year Loyalty Reward.

The 2-/3-/4-/5-year Loyalty Rewards are similarly offset.

It's because, more often than not, "30-day" and "monthly" are not the same thing.

LittleLeah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was personally sold on the fact that this is still the Telus network, so it’s reliable … plus all of the discounts I could get for setting up payments via credit card, plus the referral code from my dad. I’m paying half of what I was before and I’m getting more. If someone can’t be sold on that … they don’t like saving money 😂

@Savebig2 

If you are going to activate a second account its best to wait for a really good promotion. Around xmas time is probably your best bet as in past years where it is often a free month promotion and a 5gb bonus add on. If pm also does a third annual "more the merrier" campaign there would be an additional data and calling add on to be had as well.

If ýou can stack it with a CCS discounted activation bundle that comes with a free sim card even better!

@Savebig2 wrote:

Hey everyone 

how many lines do you have? Like if I sign up another phone is it worth from a loyalty perspective? 

Hi @Savebig2 

Every little bit counts. 

The more you refer a friend to PM, and they stay active, you will continue to benefit from it.

Are you coming up on your $1 Loyalty Reward....Exciting!! It should show up on your account on the 360th day after you activated with PM. If you were not suspended for much time during your services.

@Savebig2 

Our family has three lines with Public mobile.  So two friend referrals for the original account which is equivalent to $2/month.  The new accounts got the $10 one time friend referral credit. Nice to self-refer.  

Savebig2

Hey everyone 

how many lines do you have? Like if I sign up another phone is it worth from a loyalty perspective? 

@Korth 

Lol....I'm all for the pen and paper! I can get so much more accomplished then mucking around with a scribe than a keyboard anyday!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeez. What's a person gotta do to get that other 7.25% for the quintessential 110%? 🙂

Well, there is this option ...

@Korth 

I forfeit. You can keep yer dang 7.25%.

Who's the weirdo now? 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeez. What's a person gotta do to get that other 7.25% for the quintessential 110%? 🙂

Well, there is this option ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth : Jeez. What's a person gotta do to get that other 7.25% for the quintessential 110%? 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'm old school. A real computer with a real screen and a real keyboard. Out and about talking, texting, browsing fine. But down to business...a real computer.

But certainly this place could be rather more mobile-browser-friendly.

I'm 102.75% with you on this.

"Typing" on a touchscreen is painfully, awkwardly, frustratingly slow if you can actually touchtype on a real keyboard. It's even worse for those of us who aren't equipped with tiny anime hands.

Puny displays are far too constraining. Especially when half the screen is full of keyboard (and annoying overlays like Simon) so you can't even see a whole sentence without delicately scrollbarring and paging all over the place. I'm even offended by software which confines itself into a small phone-sized chunks of big screens - I've got plenty of pixels, I think it's quite rude when software refuses to let me use them, it's rude enough that I'll choose other softwares instead. Why constantly tab and swipe and clipboard through virtual pages when you can just see and work with everything all together?

Some people prefer smartphone computing. More power to them. Even though I honestly suspect that most people could get a lot more things done a lot more quickly and efficiently if they traded pocket-sized interfaces for proper-sized interfaces.

@HALIMACS  haha oh I'd probably smash the flip phone especially with having 3 letters on one button 🤣.

Newer smartphones are fine. Well at least mine. I edit/ merge PDF files, cut/split mp3 files, basically use this phone more then my laptop lol. For PM 99.9% my phone for these forums and self serve account. 

I guess to each their own🤷‍♂️

@Jb456 

LOL

I'm ok with it - it's fun watching others kinda struggle with it sometimes, though.

Can you imagine filling out forms on the first small screens on flip phones?

@HALIMACS  You don't have zoom on your phone? 😝

Screenshot_20201124_214424.jpg

I'm completely with @Anonymous on this one.

I've seen too many people repeatedly have to take their glasses on/off while on their mobile devices, all the while either misspelling every 2nd word, or completely inputting incorrect information in fields. 

@Anonymous  I find it's pretty mobile friendly for me. I can see how it could bother others tho. I think maybe it also depends what type of phone and browser people are using.

I tried on Firefox and hate it. More buttons to click to refresh page and difficulty copying and pasting. Chrome works great for me for everything on here. 

Just missing that darn quote button lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

@Anonymous  Why surprised? I've done 3 activations with my phone. Easy peasy.

I guess I'm old school. A real computer with a real screen and a real keyboard. Out and about talking, texting, browsing fine. But down to business...a real computer.

But certainly this place could be rather more mobile-browser-friendly.

@Anonymous  Why surprised? I've done 3 activations with my phone. Easy peasy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm always surprised that people would conduct this kind of business on a phone.

I'm also surprised that there's little to no recognition of mobile browsers around here.

@K_dryle 

The process can be done on a desktop computer or laptop with a larger screen.

Indeed, filling in forms on mobile phones IS a bit challenging, even for this middle-aged person.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@K_dryle wrote:

I recently signed my mother-in-law up with PM. 
she liked the idea of getting cheap phone plans, but signing up process was a pain as she can’t see well and putting the information in phone screen was a challenge! I can see people giving up as they choose to sign up in person with other providers despite paying much more fees! 

Next time have your referrals activate at a London Drugs, Walmart, etc.

Store Locator:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

K_dryle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently signed my mother-in-law up with PM. 
she liked the idea of getting cheap phone plans, but signing up process was a pain as she can’t see well and putting the information in phone screen was a challenge! I can see people giving up as they choose to sign up in person with other providers despite paying much more fees! 

@Savebig2 

When trying to make referrals most importantly you have to know how to manage your or others accounts as @Jb456  and @gpixel  have mentioned so that if any issues come up you can quickly identify the problem, troubleshoot and fix it or recommend contacting the moderators.

Some referrals you will have to manage the account for them to varying degrees which can include contacting the moderators on their behalf. I have a couple of them that both have autopay with one who buys a voucher and adds it via 611 and the other relies on autopay but wants to now learn how to buy and add a voucher. (He just got his first loyalty reward.) Neither of them have had any problems with their service. But i will have to contact the  moderators for them if ever needed as thats likeky beyond their current threshold.

If you can be trustworthy and manage accounts as needed then successful referrals are possible. Now you just need to find your referrals......

Identify your target audience. I have referred none if my immediate family as they are happy with their current plans with telus, koodo and eastlink with their employers paying/subsidizing their bills or longtime loyalty and device upgrades keeping them happy.

But my neice a third year university student has about 6 months left on her contract so i will be sending feelers out her way and a few other friends and family are about 8 months out from finishing their contracts and they all need to save money because they actually have to pay a crazy bill each month.

When i meet someone new or run into an old friend and they ask what ive been doing i tell them about helping in the community. This gives me chance to upsell pm while explaining  how the online model works and who they are with, how much they pay and (if) when their contract ends. Then ill ask for their emaiĺ ( if i know them) to register it for email promos.

Much of your target audience will have the same goal...to save money on their phone bill for whatever reason. They could just be cheap (make sure they can manage their own account.) Or the thrifty bargain hunter type, the miffed "I hate the big three" ones, students, seniors, single moms, or dads, new canadians, working foreigners and just about anyone without a crecit card or for that matter a fixed address ....

Get yourself a niche and you will get referrals....i myself am well stocked with kelloggs $5 gift cards that can be used/ added for the autopay reward for referrals i dont know very well or at all.....$13 accounts pay you the same reward as $48 accounts,

I've posted too many times that i dont pay for my bills (2- $10/$15) the latest post on it can be found  here 

@Savebig2 If you can make the add-on last more than 30 days, lowering to $30 plan is good. If you alway have to buy the add-on, you're better on the $40 plan.

Savebig2

I switched from the $40 to the $30 plan - 

purchased 1 Gb of Data for top up purposes ... and it’s cheaper just a thought

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@gpixel - thanks for sharing your experience!

PM I think is not as well known as a prepaid phone provider, running on the TELUS network.

Another point I just thought of - I switched a family member from Rogers prepaid to PM a while back, and when they shared how much they pay a month to friends, they were in disbelief...almost thinking that this was too good to be true 😉

Chipster

Loyalty $3, Auto Pay $2, Refer-a-Friend $3 on a $40 plan = $32/month

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@cin7 you're right, if you can tackle those complications you will be able to refer people much easier

• I tell people it's telus' cheapest phone provider and that it's prepaid. I let them browse a few websites with my phone and watch some 720p content to test out the connection. for customer support I tell them the truth in that not all issues are resolved in one day. then i tell them how to manage their accounts so they don't ever need to contact them for account disruption etc.
  • I tell them if they have any questions, that I will be their basic customer support and will help teach them how to use the service. this is when it's good to know the potential issues customers may run into, cause people don't like being surprised with no service issues, not understanding how to purchase an add-on, change plans etc. there are many people that will just look for another provider with easier ways to talk to customer support. 
  • this is the easiest. just help them over the phone or in person. again, you need to know how to handle issues that may arise when activating and the steps to help them move forward

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
1. Uncertain about quality of service, as no customer service line (everything online)
2. Concerns about self-serve, troubleshooting problems by oneself
3. Problems with buying SIM and starting up account.
Need Help? Let's chat.