cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we rewarded for every referral even if we have more referrals than our rate plan?

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi

Can anyone confirm whether we are rewarded for every referral even if we have more referrals than our rate plan?

I added a new referral on Nov 5 and received the confirmation text from Public Mobile.

I checked my account today. Under My Rewards, the "Refer-a-Friend Reward" still shows the same amount without my new referral.

I was about to create a ticket for moderators to take a look. When chatting with Simon regarding referral bonus, the robot writes: "Combined Rewards amount cannot exceed the value of your rate plan."

Does this mean I should stop referring or change to a higher rate plan?

51 REPLIES 51

@Daps wrote:

One of my referrals happened to be temporarily suspended.

When he reactivated his account, I received a text from public mobile saying I added a new referral, but I still have the same 16 numbers.

It does look like temporary suspensions are not removed from the referral list.

Suspended referral phone numbers stay in the list but the refer-a-friend reward amount gets reduced.

Daps

One of my referrals happened to be temporarily suspended.

When he reactivated his account, I received a text from public mobile saying I added a new referral, but I still have the same 16 numbers.

It does look like temporary suspensions are not removed from the referral list.

@Smmontmi wrote:

you can get up to 5$/30days

This limitation only applies to the loyalty reward.

Loyalty Reward Amount Earned

30-day plan

90-day plan

After 1 year

$1/30 days

$3/90 days

After 2 years

$2/30 days

$6/90 days

After 3 years

$3/30 days

$9/90 days

After 4 years

$4/30 days

$12/90 days

After 5 years and onwards

$5/30 days

$15/90 days

Smmontmi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

you can get up to 5$/30days

@Ejrosie wrote:

"Combined Rewards amount cannot exceed the value of your rate plan."

so the best bet is to go on a plan that is a step up and pay nothing for it! while everyone one else who’s with a different provider is paying up the ass. Refer as much people as you can and start saving money people. 

That limitation is currently not being enforced. Anything extra will go into your Available Funds which can go towards future renewals, add ons, etc.

Ejrosie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

"Combined Rewards amount cannot exceed the value of your rate plan."

so the best bet is to go on a plan that is a step up and pay nothing for it! while everyone one else who’s with a different provider is paying up the ass. Refer as much people as you can and start saving money people. 

@Daps 

I personally have two accounts with public mobile. The first account which is associated with my darlicious profile had within the first 30 days the autopay reward ($2)+5 referral rewards ($5)`+a community reward ($2)=$9. Knowing that i could earn up to $5 in loyalty rewards when i switched my second phone number to public mobile I immediately started using the second accounts referral code.

By the time my second 30 days was almost up i realised with the second account on a discounted unlimited plan ($40/5gb for $30) I was able to change my first account to the $10 50/50 plan before it was eliminated. After referring myself the account now had 6 referral rewards($6)+($2) autopay=$8 in rewards for the $10 plan + any community reward. That month my community reward increased to $10. Total rewards $18-$10 plan= $8 credited to my balance. That has more or less remained the same.....occasionally rising to $23 and only once dropping to below $10 after losing 3 referrals due to pm fixing the referral rewards glich and the ability to use my community account normally. As it stands with one referral suspended and my first year loyalty reward kicking in my first account gets credited into my balance $5 every 30 days.

My second account currently has 10 referral rewards ($10)+($2)autopay+($1) loyalty=$13 and very rarely but has recieved a community reward as @maximum_gato  when darlicious ( his owner) was having community account troubles. Now on the $15 plan-$13=$2 per 30 days but when both accounts are àcombined im up $3!

@NDesai 

I guess it may depend on the total rewards outlay compared to total plan income from all customers. Maybe it works out to peanuts. And potential customers hearing that some of us get our service for free from rewards IS good advertising for PM!

As mentioned, no one can cash out so it has to be used somehow eventually or is lost when someone moves on. Maybe the might implement a limit of $15 Friend Referral dollars if customer is on the $15 plan and still allow the other three reward categories to exceed the plan cost building a smaller credit in Available Funds. I have trouble imagining they would limit all rewards to plan cost which would give no credit for Community participation.

AE_Collector

@brodieonline Over the past few years, a lot people have gathered referrals rewards that exceeds their plan cost. I guess PM wanted to grow and they did not envision how it will be a few years from then. However, they did find something wrong with the referral rewards. The system was accumulating referral rewards even though some referrals stop renewing and awarding extra when they renew. They did a massive wipe in the system and now everyone should only have legit referrals and not something know as "ghost" referrals. While investigating this glitch and thinking about how much rewards they pay every month, they talked about how rewards minus the plan cost are accumulated under Account Balance. It makes sense to integrate a system to stop rewards count after it reaches to the plan cost amount. May be they still haven't figured out how to implement this change. There is a possibility that some people might stop referring others once they reach to the max rewards limit. So I don't think they have gathered enough information yet to plan for this change, but i have a feeling it will come eventually. 

cc @AE_Collector @popping 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Agree with @AE_Collector.  As soon as reward is applied to your account available fund, your are golden.  It is up to you how to spend it at PM service.

It is all just Available Funds and it keeps building. While I have never purchased an add-on of any sort I see no reason that I cant use it for that. Normally I would be going from the $15 plan from October through April to the $40 plan the other 6 months of the year when we are at our cabin a lot with no internet other than our phones. This year that didn't happen (cabin is in WA state, Point Roberts for those around here that know of it) so I wound up staying on the $15 plan through the summer too not bringing my balance down. 

My wife’s $15 plan has 9 referrals plus $2 Autopay plus $1 Loyalty so it comes up $3 short. I moved my Community reward to her account several months ago (thanks to whomever pointed out how easily done that is... change your email address associated with the community ensuring you get it EXACTLY the same as the one registered on that account with PM... upper / lower case counts there too). We are both at the verge of stepping up to $2 Loyalty from $1 each as well.

I came to PM for a better deal AND the ability to easily switch plans throughout the year. The Rewards are a bonus as well and the ability to store them up and use them in the future is great as well.

AE_Collector

brodieonline
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't see the clear answer.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/reward-rules

Once you reach the value of your plan, you will not be able to accumulate any further Rewards in that plan period, and you will not be able to save Rewards and apply them to future months.

@Anonymous wrote:

after all these years of being a customer, surely you know all the foibles around here.

No, I don't know. That is, I don't really know, not firsthand, not in a way I consider absolutely provable. I only "know" what amounts to hearsay from (usually) reliable sources. I'm a cynic, question everything and everyone, always demand proof - don't take my suspicions personally, lol.

My current accounts only have a small number of referrals between them. I've gotten them pretty cheap but not to $0, not to "less than $0". I could get more aggressive with referrals (and maybe stop giving them away, haha) but I don't know if it's really worth the effort since I'm already at the point where - in theory - my (modest) available funds vs my (dirt cheap) plan prices will pay for about a decade of phone service I hardly use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth : after all these years of being a customer, surely you know all the foibles around here. No one is getting paid. It's not real money. You can't take it out. There's official. And there's unofficial. I'm sure all parties concerned are well aware of things but maybe we shouldn't be reminding those parties.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Korth If the rewards stayed in the rewards section until needed I would agree but as @AE_Collector  said, after renewal his available funds are $5 more than last month. If you buy an add on it takes from available funds. I can't see how once the funds are their that an * is applied. We need @AE_Collector to jump back in here.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

I understand what you're saying. But I would be very surprised if - with enough Referrals and other Rewards - you could get Public Mobile to pay you for being a customer. Paying $0 for phone service is one thing, getting paid for phone service is another.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

I have a $15 plan with $17 in referrals plus the $2 Autopay and $1 Loyalty. Once the $15 plan cost comes out of my available funds the available funds is $5 higher than the month before.

Can you apply those rewarded available funds towards plan renewals, add-ons, etc without restriction?

@Korth @AE_Collector I would be very surprised if the answer was no. Available funds are available funds.

@AE_Collector wrote:

I have a $15 plan with $17 in referrals plus the $2 Autopay and $1 Loyalty. Once the $15 plan cost comes out of my available funds the available funds is $5 higher than the month before.

Can you apply those rewarded available funds towards plan renewals, add-ons, etc without restriction?

I have a $15 plan with $17 in referrals plus the $2 Autopay and $1 Loyalty. Once the $15 plan cost comes out of my available funds the available funds amount is $5 higher than it was before renewal.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Daps 

I am late to this 4 pages thread.  I read it once.  Correct me if I missed some details.

- When I say refer-a-friend reward, I mean the total number of referees shown on the overview page.

- When I say referral list, I mean the list of partial phone numbers of referees.

Case 1: When one of my referee autopay failed, my refer-a-friend reward goes down by one.  My referral list remains the same.  A few days later, after my referee reactivated his/her account, my refer-a-friend reward goes up by one and matching the referral list again. 

Case 2: When one of my referee ported out his/her number, both of my refer-a-friend reward and my referral list goes down by one.

When an account is suspended, PM reduces the refer-a-friend reward by one and keeps the referral list unchanged.  When an account is canceled, PM reduces the refer-a-friend reward and referral list by one.

I agree with @Anonymous  that you got a new referee and one of your referee autopay failed on the same day.  Your refer-a-friend reward was unchanged.  But the referral list went up by one.

SIMon says total amount of your reward cannot more than you plan amount.  This is what the rule says.  But PM server is doing it differently by giving us the excess amount as available fund.  

Daps

@gpixel wrote:

@Daps yes mine was the same for about 2 months until I upgraded. just schedule the plan change and see if it gets activated in a few days

@gpixelThanks I'll give it a try.

Daps

@gpixelI am fine with my current plan. So I have no plans to upgrade for now.

As both you and @JoyLuck  pointed out, there's no good reason to follow-up with moderators on this.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Daps yes mine was the same for about 2 months until I upgraded. just schedule the plan change and see if it gets activated in a few days

Daps

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Daps wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

@esjliv Question - For Example....Are you saying that if you have 16 refer-a-friend referrals and you are on the $15 Plan, you WOULD not receive $1 into your Available Funds upon your renewal?

no, it depends, if you are building up to a free plan and you're also participating in the community. I think they slow down your referrals or take some away.

I was still able to receive extra credit.($5-10) but it seemed to have stopped my referrals from increasing. when I upgraded plans, I started to receive credit for the MIA number on my referral count list

36 😉

So based on replies so far, either my cut-off for friend referrals is the same as my rate plan

OR one of my referrals happens to be temporarily suspended

OR something changed at public and I should follow-up with moderators.

Or you missed a number of other valid and correct points made, to help you. 

If I have missed any points, please feel free to point them out.

According to the summary on my account today, I will receive $15 (not $16) refer a friend reward at my next renewal. I do also get $2 for autopay which gets credited to my available funds.

Here is an interesting post from @will13am

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/I-Lost-19-Referrals-in-a-span-of-24-Hours-POO...

Over the years, I have had issues from time to time with referrals and each time I contacted the moderators to look into it, something bad happens at the end.  They send my account to the back office to investigate and do account resets.  Each time this happens, the outcome is less referrals.  I vividly recall the first time this happened, my referral count went to zero.  Just a month ago, I lost 13 referrals because I was stupid enough to ask again about a referral reward payment issue when past experience tells me not to.  It was impossible to contest this as the rebuttal was "you probably lost those referrals".  Of course the new referral count and the expected rewards match.  The problem is the current referral count experiences a big drop coincident with the account investigation.  I tried to point this out in the past to no avail as it is a bug that no one wants to admit or investigate. 

All I can say is I feel vindicated after all these years that I was not imagining things.  I will never report any referral discrepancies ever again unless the problem is was very dramatic and there is no way things could get worse.  Anyway misery loves company.  Please report back if you are able to achieve any kind of success with this case.  

@Daps when I contacted mods I ended up losing another referral the next day. joyluck and daps are seeing the same issue I had. there's an easy test that can be done. all they have to do is upgrade. 

@JoyLuck you should upgrade. you probably cover the $25 plan including your community rewards

@Daps wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

@esjliv Question - For Example....Are you saying that if you have 16 refer-a-friend referrals and you are on the $15 Plan, you WOULD not receive $1 into your Available Funds upon your renewal?

no, it depends, if you are building up to a free plan and you're also participating in the community. I think they slow down your referrals or take some away.

I was still able to receive extra credit.($5-10) but it seemed to have stopped my referrals from increasing. when I upgraded plans, I started to receive credit for the MIA number on my referral count list

36 😉

So based on replies so far, either my cut-off for friend referrals is the same as my rate plan

Or you missed a number of other valid and correct points made, to help you. 

Daps

@gpixel wrote:

36 😉

The limit might be 110 referrals but there seems to be no motivation to keep adding more referrals once you've managed to get the highest-cost plan down to zero. A total of 50 or maybe 60 if you collect no other Rewards.

Of course, you could always activate another account to take advantage of the extra referrals. A second phone number can be handy. More data can't hurt. Free gifts and goodies added to every account can add up to a lot.

Referral Rewards are predictable and consistent. But they can suddenly drop off your account at any time, whenever they move away from PM to another carrier or they simply allow their PM accounts to terminate.

@Daps wrote:

@JoyLuck wrote:

@Daps wrote:

@Anonymous 

I thought that was a possibility, but I already checked. It's the same list +1.

Have a look at this post.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/Big-scam-from-Public-Mobile/td-p/594094

My name's Maria and I'm happy to assist you. 

I have reviewed your account and as you mentioned, I noticed that though there are 14 numbers showing in your referees there are $13 rewards credits listed.

It's important to mention that in order for you to receive the referer a friend rewards, all of your friends have to be active in our network with an active plan. 

When one of the referees isn't active only the rewards for active friends will reflect in your account. 

In case a friend that isn't currently active decides to resume his/her service, then you'd get the rewards applied at the next renewal date for that referee. 

In case that friends stay without an active plan for more than 90 calendar days, his account will be deactivated and that phone number will be removed out of your list of referees or in case one of your friends decides port out, it will also be removed out of your referee's list and the referral rewards will be adjusted so you'd get rewards only for active friend's in our network. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Warm regards, 

Maria L. 

Public Mobiel Moderator. 

@JoyLuck 

That's an interesting post. I see there is no assigned solution (yet).

I had the impression that when someone leaves pm (or suspends service temporarily), that number would be removed from the list of referred numbers.

There could be a bug in the system? I have more numbers listed than referral rewards like you at the moment. @darlicious may want to comment as I have discussed this with her in the past.

Need Help? Let's chat.