cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why am i paying for a sim card

ponchuk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

why am i paying for a sim card when other providers are doing it for free. I would like a credit back on my account ($10.50)

14 REPLIES 14

@ponchuk wrote:

why am i paying for a sim card when other providers are doing it for free. I would like a credit back on my account ($10.50)

Sorry, but this refund is very, very unlikely.  There are ways to save money at Public, so I would concentrate on those factors to bring your plan costs down.  As with any product, customers should shop for the best price/service that works for them.  If not satisfied with the price, the customers needs to decide whether or not to still purchase the product.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ponchuk wrote:

What you are paying for the sim card, you are getting back ten fold in discounts.

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I joined last week at a PM kiosk in Richmond Centre and the sim was free.

The thing is, it should be considered part of the overall service, and be provided for within the plan costs.  As it is now, in order to use the services, you must have a SIM card to attach your device(so to the network.  If you can not connect, you can’t receive service.

Don’t get me started on the eSIM stuff... if you want that old technology (cell phones used to be programmed manually to connect), you’ll again be looked into multi year plans with the same crappier provider year over year.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@ponchuk Sorry, no price match here. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ponchuk wrote:

@ponchuk  If you used a referral during activation you would get a credit to cover the cost of the sim. Did you not use a referral?

@austinhuang I'm referring to cost savings.  If autopay were setup $2 savings over six months would be $12 that would cover the sim cost.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ponchuk wrote:

All provider charges for SIM card.  Lucky, Chatr charge $10.  But if you activate with a referral, you will get $10 credit to cover your SIM card cost.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ponchuk wrote:

If you're not in a big hurry to sign up with Public Mobile right away, be aware that every once in awhile PM has promo's and pop-ups that sometimes include rebates for the sim for new accounts. Keep an eye on the website.

If you've already bought it, you'll eventually recoup the $10 from Autopay Rewards, Loyalty Rewards and Refer-a-Friend Rewards.

You're not currently entitled to refund of the sim.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Triguy wrote:

Some retailers will offer a free sim when you activate a new account with PM.  You have to look for special offers or promotions.  Otherwise, you would need to pay a for a sim.  Hopefully with the money you save using PM that will more than offset the cost of the sim.

It doesn't offset... It's the same price for all prepaid providers. Same applies for postpaid providers (around $40, usually waived if online).

I think there was twice... One time they just gave away SIM cards (In which I got one, then activated 2 years later), another time it was an in-store special (Walmart?).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Some retailers will offer a free sim when you activate a new account with PM.  You have to look for special offers or promotions.  Otherwise, you would need to pay a for a sim.  Hopefully with the money you save using PM that will more than offset the cost of the sim.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ponchuk wrote:

Because this is a prepaid service. It costs $10 for any prepaid provider (PM, Chatr, Lucky, as well as prepaid divisions of Virgin, Fido, Koodo).

Postpaid SIM cards are free.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@ponchuk Sorry but per terms of service there is no refunds.

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Because other providers are charging alot MORE money for their service.

Need Help? Let's chat.