cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activation at store????

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

activation at store???? can you activate plan at a store or only online????

17 REPLIES 17

@fdrcamb519 must have heard my reply from today when you started LOL

Oh weird, it just popped up on mine as latest topics....lol maybe @mpcdesign 

Well, I think @Naepalm  is trying to catch up on all the community posts. He loves his new posting position! 

fdrcamb519

@Naepalm this is an old question 3 weeks old, in my early days PM, i did set up online. twice......

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@fdrcamb519  why would you want to activate in a store? Just curious. 

I think you would be fully capable of doing it online. Unless store activation offers some kind of deal from the retailer, I would do it online if I were you. 

What, stores charging for activation fees? Take advantage of the non-technical users but that is highly wrong. 

I use to work in sales. A client asked about television and that same model was cheaper at another store. Although, I wasn't on commission, I told him to go elsewhere. The customer was kinda shocked. I told him it was less headaches for all of us, from returns and yourself as the store didn't price match at that time.

A few days pass by, and the client comes back. He was happy with his purchase. He asked if there was in special for surrounded system. That I was to able to provide. A tv that costs $500 versus a surround system that costs $2500-3000 (sold him a Bose package) .

Stores should help customers and not worry about making a sale. A good karma towards a customer, could mean more happy sales down the road!

@Roaming0341 

There is not supposed to  be any fee charged to activate in store. However independent dealers may decide to charge a fee if you agree to it and koodo does charge a $30 fee. Ultimately it's up to you if you decide to pay a fee.....the vast majority of us would refuse and go somewhere else.

@Roaming0341 it depends on the store. Ask them first before activating with them.

BearFBI

@Roaming0341 There is no charge. You might get your SIM card free in some cases. Walmart didn't offer to activate in store due to COVID-19

Roaming0341
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a charge for activating in store?

@brettster99 

That wasnt your age that resulted in a bad experience activating at Wal-Mart. That was just the Wal-Mart experience.....infamous for their poor service during activations for public mobile.

I probably had the exact opposite experience with my first activation. I was camping and got a ride to town to pick up ice and liquor. With about 15 min to spare and sick of having no service on my smartphone (AWAY) from a freedom signal ...i walked into London drugs and the sales person who looked barely 18 managed to activate my pm sim and juggle a couple of demanding customers. In about 13 minutes my number was ported over, all services working and I was paid up and out the door and back to the lake.

When I activated my second line at home  on my own it took four attempts and lockouts, error messages and frustration to finally achieve success on the fifth try. If it wasnt for @Luddite  and @ChuckYeah  help, advice and humour im sure my tablet would have made a fantastic frisbee.

brettster99

@fdrcamb519 

You can do it yourself or online. I did both so I know the process of both. For my first one, I had an employee at Walmart do it. Needless to say, it was not the most enjoyable experience as they were talking like I was doing this to commit crimes but they talked it over and said Nah and this is the reason they gave "HE looks like a nice guy. He PROBABLY won't be doing anything illegal" being 18 at the time I thought that was weird and ageist as automatically assuming illegality then to haft to convince and talk them over to finally get it.

The Other way is when I ordered a sim online for my mother and helped her out. That was way easier and less of a hassle. Just create account add my referral code activate sim put it in phone and within a few minutes it started working.

Needless to say I personally would never go back into a retail store to get setup because of that experience. For me now on I rather just order sim online and avoid people always judging me just for my age. 

I always instruct my referrals that go to a dealer to activate to simply start off with the fact that they have a Referal code to use and ensure that the employee acknowledges that.

Next ask if they provide the SIM Card for free if activating through them.

AE_Collector

@fdrcamb519  if you activate in-store, you have to set up your self service account online when you return home.If you activate online, it As done in one shot. See article  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Dont forget to use a refferal code. Welcome to PM, and stay safe.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can activate at either a store or online.  A word of caution if you go to a store that sometimes they may use their own referral code to get the reward.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

activation at store???? can you activate plan at a store or only online????

Here is a store finder:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@fdrcamb519 yes you can at walmart is still avaliable

Need Help? Let's chat.