cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WoW Mobile Centrepoint Mall North York, Ontario

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

WoW. Just finished signining up for a new account at WoW Mobile at Centrepoint Mall in North York, Ontario. I heard about the promotion of free SIM card and a free second month. I read on this or some other forums that some boutiques and Walmarts were not familiar with this promotion so I wanted to make sure and called this particular location before visiting in person. When I called in in the morning, the worker there confirmed the details to me that it was correct. I also asked about a referral and he said that the promotion was stackable.

When I went in yesterday, Saturday it was quite busy so I had to wait for a representative to become free. I told them zi wanted to go with Public Mobile and again verified that my informstion on the promotion was correct. It was a different person there than I had spoke to on the phone. They were helping someone else at the time and informed me that the Koodo kiosk could also help me with Public Mobile activations. They had 1 person workong at Koodo and 2 at WoW Mobile at the time so I decided to wait for WoW Mobile.

The activation was pretty straight forward and I ported my number over from a Rogers corporate account. They also asked for the actual account number, not just the phone number. I gave them my referral number of a friend who has Public Mobile already during the setup. The only hiccup was that I could not use my Tangerine Mastercard for Autopay during the setup. The worker mentioned it could be because my card was expiring in a couple months. I used a Capital One instead and it worked fine. They gave me a print out my sign up confirmation and also their own receipt to confirm that the activation and sign up was done. They gave me a Public Mobile SIM and said to insert it into my phone when I lose service with Rogers. It should take a couple hours, but could take up to 24 hours.

I would say it took maybe 1 hour for me to lose service with Rogers and when I put in the Public Mobile SIM and rebooted my iPhone 5s everything was working. The only thing now is that when I use the SPEEDTEST app, it doesn’t work and resets. Also I have not been able to update my Autopay to Tangerine Mastercard.

The other thing is that my account showed a $2 credit from Autopay rewards. Is that how it works? so it discounts the next months bill? I checked my account this morning and it shows my $10 referral bonus and also a credit for $40 for next months bill. I signed up for the $40/4.5GB plan. 

I look forward to moving ahead with Public Mobile. I had been with Rogers for something like 16 years.

13 REPLIES 13

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RobertQc wrote:

If today was your payment due date, then here's what to expect:
1. Expiration of completed period. Account will show "plan expired" sometime before midnight tonight.
2. Conversion of all rewards (including autopay) to available funds at midnight; rewards reset. Payment not collected yet at this point.  Account will show "Your account has been suspended" in big red letters.
3. In early hours of the morning, available funds will be used (if any), credit card will be charged (if necessary), plan will be renewed. Account status will then show "active."

Ah yes...the fruits of my feverish late-night research being propagated.  I have spawned!  Smiley LOL

mimmo

When you leave pm then whatever funds and rewards you have become property of pm. Ie they are lost. And there are no refunds

Jarvar

Okay. Thank you so much for clearing that up. I think the $10 referral credit and the second month credit is also available for me to purchase add-ons. The only thing that shows up in My Rewards is from the Autopay sign up. I'll try using the funds firs to buy add-ons first, and if all else fails then I can just let it go towards my next bill.

Can these funds be withdrawn? What happens to someone who moves over to lets say the Koodo Promotions that come around. Do they lose their available funds? or that gets cashed out and they just lose the rewards?

mimmo

@Jarvar welcome. Don't recall seeing it mentioned, so just a heads up.  It takes 3 cycles for auto-pay to level out.  Signup = full price, 2nd= full price -2xautopay, 3rd = full price - auto-pay.

And of course prices are pre-tax, so credit card bill will be higher. 

These are two common topics that come up in the forums

@Jarvar If you see Available Funds in your account they can be used to buy add-ons. Items showing under My Rewards cannot.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jarvar

Okay thank you for the heads up about rewards not being used to purchase add-ons. I don't see myself needing to buy add-ons frequently or regularly anyways. Just in the event I need it once in a while, like when travelling. I like how everything is laid out and it seems straight forward.

Jarvar

I was sitting on the fence because I had some grandfathered in plan with Rogers Corporate. Only recently I was thinking of traveling and considering the possibility of using the Roam Like Home service. Unfortunately, I was not eligible with my current plan and they said I needed to upgrade my package. They have been trying to get me on one of their Share Everything packages for a while. Everytime I spoke with them, they kept telling me they wanted to see if they could get me on a better package and service. Everything came out to being a lot more expensive with less features, but they kept pushing even though I pointed out the obvious discrepancies of being both more expensive and having less services than what I was already on.

Anyways, the package they wanted to upgrade me to in order to get Roam Like Home was in line with a lot of the other companies. This was the best they could offer me even when speaking with Retentions so I started looking around.

Luckily this eventually led me to Public Mobile. I was considering Koodo for a while since my parents have been using them for a while. I have had a few friends using Freedom Mobile, but I was warned that they are less reliable and also they have a zone or Away Canada feature while in Canada which didn't appeal to me.

I like the options here on Public Mobile of saving money and also not overpaying for customer represantatives on the phone or in store since I can do most of it myself online. It helps that I don't feel like I am overpaying for services I don't need or getting locked into packages out of fear that there aren't any other alternatives out there. It's also a bonus that promotions come up all the time and I can either change to them or keep my old package easily.

Jarvar

Maybe I wasn't clear. I did receive the bonuses the next day. I'm quite pleased with it all so far. I haven't really experienced any issues. Like I said, only that I can't test my speed using the SPEEDTEST app on iOS platform and also using my Tangerine Mastercard with Autopay. Everything else seems to be going great so far.

Thank you for the welcome as well.

@Jarvar wrote:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Maybe if I am up one night it will be interesting to observe the process online.

I’m glad you answered about the automatic conversion of rewards. I was wondering if I had to manually request the available funds be used towards my bill. I am guessing that I could use those funds during my current billing cycle to also purchase add ons as well. Then when my bill is due would just be minus what I spent on the addons.

Just wondering if the account goes through a temporary "account suspended" status. Does that mean I will lose service momentarily in the early hours of the morning when this happens? Or is this just a protocol for the plan to renew itself with autopay?

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations already so far.

What Robert explained was one of the oddities with the system.  If all goes well, there's no disruption in service.  It's recommended not to look into the account at renewal time.  Sometimes seeing the odd things happening trigger a response which can mess up the auto process.

Generally speaking, rewards cannot be used to buy add-ons.  Rewards get converted into account funds just before the renewal payment.  Once renewal completes in the next step, funds are gone.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jarvar  Welcome to PM  what took you so long ? Cat Happy You will Heart 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Jarvar, welcome to Public Mobile.  The activation bonuses are supposed to show up in the account within 72 hours.  If you are not seeing them by then, contact the moderator team for resolution.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Jarvar

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Maybe if I am up one night it will be interesting to observe the process online.

I’m glad you answered about the automatic conversion of rewards. I was wondering if I had to manually request the available funds be used towards my bill. I am guessing that I could use those funds during my current billing cycle to also purchase add ons as well. Then when my bill is due would just be minus what I spent on the addons.

Just wondering if the account goes through a temporary "account suspended" status. Does that mean I will lose service momentarily in the early hours of the morning when this happens? Or is this just a protocol for the plan to renew itself with autopay?

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations already so far.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to public mobile glad your move was smooth. Yes autopay does not apply for the first payment on the account. It starts on your first renewal. $2 per 30 days or $6 for 90 days. It will be applied a few hours before the renewal payment comes out from your auto pay method.

If today was your payment due date, then here's what to expect:
1. Expiration of completed period. Account will show "plan expired" sometime before midnight tonight.
2. Conversion of all rewards (including autopay) to available funds at midnight; rewards reset. Payment not collected yet at this point.  Account will show "Your account has been suspended" in big red letters.
3. In early hours of the morning, available funds will be used (if any), credit card will be charged (if necessary), plan will be renewed. Account status will then show "active."

If you look around the self serve pages, you will see two days, a top up day and payment day.  The one shown in the overview page is the day they want people who do manual top ups to put money into the account.  The next day, early in the morning is when the funds are converted into a payment.  The payment day is also shown.

This post explains the renewal process: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/EXPIRED-vs-SUSPENDED-AVAILABLE-FUNDS-vs...

Need Help? Let's chat.