cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Why is it that people who activate instore get a free SIM but those who activate online pay 10$?

becuase the people instore are not going to get theirs shipped to them where as online they will have to get it ship.

secondly if it was free online people would just be taking SIM cards not because they need it but just for fun 

Oracle

Re: Why is it that people who activate instore get a free SIM but those who activate online pay 10$?

@missorange wrote:

maybe the major cost is the shipping, this is why PM dont not offer free sim. but I agree with your suggestions, the phone provider need to see the long term benefits. 

Then they will come up with some kind of Activation Fees. So we should be thankful for the online only self activation process with no fees and still earn rewards. AutoPay reward itself pays for the sim card within 5 months, and here we are asking to get the $10 sim card fees back Smiley Frustrated

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Poogzley 

I had to pay $11 at a kiosk, so not always free.

@Poogzley, Public Mobile can not send you a SIM after you register, as the sim activation is the first step.

Ebery carrier should be putting the cost of the SIM into the plan cost, and not charging extra.  In order to have service, you need the SIM to connect.  No, SiM, no plan, no customer, no money for the carrier.

We all need to stand up and make business respect us.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@missorange wrote:

maybe the major cost is the shipping, this is why PM dont not offer free sim. but I agree with your suggestions, the phone provider need to see the long term benefits. 

Yes, I hope PM will see the long term benefits!!

Mayor / Maire

Processing order

Possible credit card fraud

People not activating SIM asap

No opportunity to upsell other products (or even upsell to Koodo/Telus brand)

I think its fairly obvious the instore model costs Public far less...

@Poogzley wrote:

Why is it that people who activate instore (Walmart/PM Kiosk) get a free SIM but those who activate online have to pay 10$?

Mini rant:
It seems like it should be the other way around... stores have a larger overhead besides they have to pay employee to be there. Meanwhile those who order a Sim online pay an extra 10$, this does not make sense to me I think it should be the other way around. Isn't Public Mobile's all about self-service but then they give you a better deal if you actually depend on in-store service? This does not make sense to me as it seems to go against the companies general philosophy. Even Koodo (Telus's other MVNO) gives free Sims when you activate online not in-store. Furthermore every time I have gone to one of Public Mobiles retail partners like Walmart the sales person has always pushed me to go with Bell or Rogers instead (I assume they have a higher commission rate). I even had one employee who completely refused to sell a PM Sim, I ended up going to a different location... All this to say that the whole system seems counter intuitive meaning that Public Mobile are missing out on potential clients and most importantly the consumers are the ones losing out as not everyone is near a retail partner.

My proposal: If PM still wants to sell the SIMs online for 10$ they could give a 10$ credit to those how activate online essentially making the cost of the SIM 0$. Alternatively they could just send you the SIM for free after you complete the resgistration process and then you could complete the activation and start your billing cycle once you receive it.

I really like Public Mobile and want to see them succeed, this is just something that has been bothering me for a while and just wanted to put it out there.

I would love to get feedback form one of the @Moderator_Team  if they are willing to reach out for comment.

@stonechucker wrote:

@Poogzley, Public Mobile can not send you a SIM after you register, as the sim activation is the first step.

Ebery carrier should be putting the cost of the SIM into the plan cost, and not charging extra.  In order to have service, you need the SIM to connect.  No, SiM, no plan, no customer, no money for the carrier.

You could have it as follows:

1. Set up self-serve account 

2. Select plan / new number

3. Prepay first month

4. Send out SIM

5. Confirm SIM has been recived to start billing cycle/port in number

@nwahkan wrote:

becuase the people instore are not going to get theirs shipped to them where as online they will have to get it ship.

secondly if it was free online people would just be taking SIM cards not because they need it but just for fun 

@stonechucker wrote:

The SIM could be shipped out free after you pre-pay your first month

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There may be potential issue with selecting# as 30-day fee start count down.  May be whenever promotion for PM on-line activation, add an extra $10 to cover SIM cost.

This could help out people who live in small towns and do not have easy access to stores.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I imagine the $10 for online purchases is to cover the cost of packaging and shipping of the SIM card. A small price to pay for convience if you ask me.