cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is it that people who activate instore get a free SIM but those who activate online pay 10$?

@Korth wrote:

PM SIM cards were free a couple years ago. $0, free shipping (Canada Post, usually 2-5 days), no hidden (Activation) fees. 

When the sim cards were free, the processing and shipping time was not good. My expereiences were that the 2 to 5 days was about the transit time when they were $5. When the sim cards were $0, my experiences and others I spoke to were that they took anywhere from 1 to 2 months to arrive.  This was back in early 2016 and sim card orders would seemingly be processed in random order, with friends who ordered after receiving sim cards first, although no one got them any time quickly.  By the time I got free sim cards, I gave up and decided that if a company can't something simple like that right, I wasn't going to become a customer.  I eventually did become a customer (obviously), but it took longer than the initial plan. 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Why is it that people who activate instore get a free SIM but those who activate online pay 10$?

@computergeek541 Fair enough, I always got my PM SIM cards in the mail within days, a week at most, but I do recall reading a lot of complaints in these forums (and elsewhere) from people who had to wait so long that they just got fed up and signed their phones up with someone else. Especially during and after promos, hordes of people complaining they couldn't get a SIM card in time to activate the deal. That's why I followed the advice of a Legend and always kept a few spares handy. (Most of the time this let me signup referrals on the spot, pop my SIM into their phone to prove PM works, setup a Self-Serve account, enter a Payment Voucher, install and activate a SIM, request a number port, tell them to just keep using their phone and restart it once "No Service" on their old carrier... the good old days. I don't do that anymore because $10 each and PM isn't glamourous enough to dazzle the skeptics like it used to, the other dance partners all look more appealing. ) 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can you go to a store, get the sim card, have it activated, and then take the card home and install it into your phone?  Or do you have to have your phone with you.  Reason I ask is because the last time I was with a friend doing a phone activation, the sales clerk dropped her phone while installing the card.  I guess if it's not their phone, they aren't very careful sometimes.

Oracle

@Fretman wrote:

Can you go to a store, get the sim card, have it activated, and then take the card home and install it into your phone?  Or do you have to have your phone with you.  Reason I ask is because the last time I was with a friend doing a phone activation, the sales clerk dropped her phone while installing the card.  I guess if it's not their phone, they aren't very careful sometimes.

I can't see why not, just go in and say you want to activate a PM sim card.  You can always take your phone with you and tell them that you will insert the new sim

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Mayor / Maire

@Fretman wrote:

Can you go to a store, get the sim card, have it activated, and then take the card home and install it into your phone?

Yes, you can simply purchase a SIM card for $10 then leave. Although some retailers will refuse to sell without in-store activation/setup - even if they're legit - because sometimes the customer service rep (or his/her boss) refuses to sell for whatever reason. At worst you ask, you're told "no", and you go elsewhere.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've chosen to activate online. Unfortunately, Walmart in my town has terrible customer service, including the mobile phone dept.