cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it that people who activate instore get a free SIM but those who activate online pay 10$?

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Why is it that people who activate instore (Walmart/PM Kiosk) get a free SIM but those who activate online have to pay 10$?

Mini rant:
It seems like it should be the other way around... stores have a larger overhead besides they have to pay employee to be there. Meanwhile those who order a Sim online pay an extra 10$, this does not make sense to me I think it should be the other way around. Isn't Public Mobile's all about self-service but then they give you a better deal if you actually depend on in-store service? This does not make sense to me as it seems to go against the companies general philosophy. Even Koodo (Telus's other MVNO) gives free Sims when you activate online not in-store. Furthermore every time I have gone to one of Public Mobiles retail partners like Walmart the sales person has always pushed me to go with Bell or Rogers instead (I assume they have a higher commission rate). I even had one employee who completely refused to sell a PM Sim, I ended up going to a different location... All this to say that the whole system seems counter intuitive meaning that Public Mobile are missing out on potential clients and most importantly the consumers are the ones losing out as not everyone is near a retail partner.

My proposal: If PM still wants to sell the SIMs online for 10$ they could give a 10$ credit to those how activate online essentially making the cost of the SIM 0$. Alternatively they could just send you the SIM for free after you complete the resgistration process and then you could complete the activation and start your billing cycle once you receive it.

I really like Public Mobile and want to see them succeed, this is just something that has been bothering me for a while and just wanted to put it out there.

I would love to get feedback form one of the @CS_Agent  if they are willing to reach out for comment.

38 REPLIES 38

bhavpate4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

it used to be free but not any more.

@Bullet77 wrote:

I started with Telus and was told by them they were only availble on line, which is not true.

That might not have been on purpose. There was a time when Public Mobile sim cards really were only available online. It is the job of someone at Telus to necessarily keep track of whatever Public Mobile is doing, especially if that store isn't sell Public Mobille.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I went through a reselller and had to pay $10.00 for my SIM card.

The hardest thing for me was finding a reseller who actually had the SIM Cards to sell.

I started with Telus and was told by them they were only availble on line, which is not true.

marimacas

I've chosen to activate online. Unfortunately, Walmart in my town has terrible customer service, including the mobile phone dept.

@Fretman wrote:

Can you go to a store, get the sim card, have it activated, and then take the card home and install it into your phone?

Yes, you can simply purchase a SIM card for $10 then leave. Although some retailers will refuse to sell without in-store activation/setup - even if they're legit - because sometimes the customer service rep (or his/her boss) refuses to sell for whatever reason. At worst you ask, you're told "no", and you go elsewhere.

@Fretman wrote:

Can you go to a store, get the sim card, have it activated, and then take the card home and install it into your phone?  Or do you have to have your phone with you.  Reason I ask is because the last time I was with a friend doing a phone activation, the sales clerk dropped her phone while installing the card.  I guess if it's not their phone, they aren't very careful sometimes.

I can't see why not, just go in and say you want to activate a PM sim card.  You can always take your phone with you and tell them that you will insert the new sim

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Fretman

Can you go to a store, get the sim card, have it activated, and then take the card home and install it into your phone?  Or do you have to have your phone with you.  Reason I ask is because the last time I was with a friend doing a phone activation, the sales clerk dropped her phone while installing the card.  I guess if it's not their phone, they aren't very careful sometimes.

@computergeek541 Fair enough, I always got my PM SIM cards in the mail within days, a week at most, but I do recall reading a lot of complaints in these forums (and elsewhere) from people who had to wait so long that they just got fed up and signed their phones up with someone else. Especially during and after promos, hordes of people complaining they couldn't get a SIM card in time to activate the deal. That's why I followed the advice of a Legend and always kept a few spares handy. (Most of the time this let me signup referrals on the spot, pop my SIM into their phone to prove PM works, setup a Self-Serve account, enter a Payment Voucher, install and activate a SIM, request a number port, tell them to just keep using their phone and restart it once "No Service" on their old carrier... the good old days. I don't do that anymore because $10 each and PM isn't glamourous enough to dazzle the skeptics like it used to, the other dance partners all look more appealing. ) 

@Korth wrote:

PM SIM cards were free a couple years ago. $0, free shipping (Canada Post, usually 2-5 days), no hidden (Activation) fees. 

When the sim cards were free, the processing and shipping time was not good. My expereiences were that the 2 to 5 days was about the transit time when they were $5. When the sim cards were $0, my experiences and others I spoke to were that they took anywhere from 1 to 2 months to arrive.  This was back in early 2016 and sim card orders would seemingly be processed in random order, with friends who ordered after receiving sim cards first, although no one got them any time quickly.  By the time I got free sim cards, I gave up and decided that if a company can't something simple like that right, I wasn't going to become a customer.  I eventually did become a customer (obviously), but it took longer than the initial plan. 

PM SIM cards were free a couple years ago. $0, free shipping (Canada Post, usually 2-5 days), no hidden (Activation) fees. 

But most of these SIMs (PM says at least 65%) weren't being activated... they were just forgotten, lost, or wasted. 

Savvy PM folks would order a few extras - made it easy to score referrals, made it easier to troubleshoot and fix some issues. 

But savvy and unethical folks were reselling (a lot of) these free SIMs on ebay... effectively taking money out of the pockets of PM or PM customers... and PM didn't officially comment on that but it was the final straw. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Seeing-our-SIM-cards-waste-away-made-us...

Then PM SIM cards cost $5. Now they're $10. PM often runs flash promos which offer a free SIM (and one month free on Plan or $20 credit or somesuch) but you still have to pay that $10 up front. They even charge for replacement SIMs now - in case you need to replace your phone after it exploded or fell into the toilet or whatever - even though they never did before.

Montrealpost

The current extra $10 for referee, $10 for referer is nice, at last get something instead of just $1 every month.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Extended-to-Oct-6-Get-an-extra-10-Credi...

funpig

I just walked by the Richmond Centre (BC) PM kiosk.  The free sim promotion is officially over.

I still recommend new activations go to a PM kiosk (I am talking about a dedicated kiosk, not a retail store like London Drugs selling PM).  The guys working at the PM kiosk are paid by the hour and not by commission.  I found that they were very helpful in explaining the plans, charges etc. and can deal with any activation problems.  It does not cost any more than doing it yourself and they know what they are doing. If you do not have a referral, the PM salesperson will provide you one so that you get the $10 credit.

JC29

I think the mods won't have the power to decide that.

That decision would probably come from the bigwigs upstairs.

But good point though.  If they can differentiate that you did your account online and bought your sim for $10+tax, it would be refreshing to see them credit the amount back.

BUT the free sim is a limited time promotion (when last time I talked to the people from the Public Mobile kiosk).  So maybe its just something to drum up LOCAL sales for them.

funpig

I got a free sim on July 3 for me and a free sim for my Dad on July 9, both at a PM kiosk at Richmond Centre (BC).  I just stopped by the kiosk today and spoke with the sales rep.  There were 3 of them.  They told me the free sim at this location and Metrotown was a temporary local promotion and may end on July 31.  So free sims may not be everywhere nor all the time.

I asked the sales rep what kind of support they could provide me in the future. They said they deal usually with any activation, porting and add-ons and associated problems. They would do whatever they could to resolve any problem that I may have. One rep said he had a number to call in for additional help.  The other rep said that all they are supposed to do is do what they can on the website (which knowledgable customer could do on own) and then refer the customer to the forum if problem could not be resolved. 

The PM kiosk sales rep do not get paid by commission.  The sales rep said "if I was paid on commission, I would not be just standing here playing on my phone". So think of the kiosk sales rep like a glorified "oracle" that is paid an hourly wage instead of in bravos.  And remember that these guys are doing dozens of activations per day so they have a lot of on hand experience and presumably training.

I would note that the PM kiosk reps only sell PM plans.  Before getting my sim at the kiosk, i had gone to London Drugs which would have charged $10 for the PM sim which would have included the account setup set and activation by the London Drugs sales rep.  But when I tried to buy at that time the London Drugs rep advised me not to buy PM but to go with Chatr because it had the better plans. Hmmm.That put off me off and made me go to the kiosk instead.  Glad I did.  The kiosk guys were so helpful especially on the second account for my Dad when the PM website was acting up.  I just bought a voucher for the $10 plan and left the rep to deal with the wonky server over the next few hours.  He called me when the activation was completed.

The PM kiosks are a loss leader promotion for PM.  They are a physical presence in a mall amongst other cellular providers.  If you are lucky enough to have one nearby, take advantage of the guys working there.  Otherwise, they are just going to stand around playing with their phones.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@1vk  yea they probably do get a better commission welcome to PM

1vk

Actually when I was getting my PM sim sales person in kiosk was trying to direct me to purchase freedom mobile sim rather...maybe they have more commmission from them, but I still think PB was better deal.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@1vk hi sometimes certain retailers have in store specials but not all the time it would be up to you to check ahead of time to be sure

1vk

I purchased and activated my sim card in store kiosk and I was charged $10 plus tax the same as if it was purchased on line. Only difference was that I received 1000 pc points that=$1.

@Poogzley wrote:

@nwahkan wrote:

becuase the people instore are not going to get theirs shipped to them where as online they will have to get it ship.

secondly if it was free online people would just be taking SIM cards not because they need it but just for fun 

@stonechucker wrote:

@Poogzley, Public Mobile can not send you a SIM after you register, as the sim activation is the first step.

Ebery carrier should be putting the cost of the SIM into the plan cost, and not charging extra.  In order to have service, you need the SIM to connect.  No, SiM, no plan, no customer, no money for the carrier.

We all need to stand up and make business respect us.

The SIM could be shipped out free after you pre-pay your first month

@Poogzleyas it currently is set up, the SELF-SERVE account can not be created without the verification 6-digit pin from registering the SIM.  You MUST have the SIM first.  There is no other way.  The SIM activates the phone number, the phone number is the first step of the self-serve setup.

kcurrie7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I imagine the $10 for online purchases is to cover the cost of packaging and shipping of the SIM card. A small price to pay for convience if you ask me.

Montrealpost

There may be potential issue with selecting# as 30-day fee start count down.  May be whenever promotion for PM on-line activation, add an extra $10 to cover SIM cost.

This could help out people who live in small towns and do not have easy access to stores.

Poogzley

@nwahkan wrote:

becuase the people instore are not going to get theirs shipped to them where as online they will have to get it ship.

secondly if it was free online people would just be taking SIM cards not because they need it but just for fun 

@stonechucker wrote:

@Poogzley, Public Mobile can not send you a SIM after you register, as the sim activation is the first step.

Ebery carrier should be putting the cost of the SIM into the plan cost, and not charging extra.  In order to have service, you need the SIM to connect.  No, SiM, no plan, no customer, no money for the carrier.

The SIM could be shipped out free after you pre-pay your first month

Poogzley

@stonechucker wrote:

You could have it as follows:

1. Set up self-serve account 

2. Select plan / new number

3. Prepay first month

4. Send out SIM

5. Confirm SIM has been recived to start billing cycle/port in number

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Processing order

Possible credit card fraud

People not activating SIM asap

No opportunity to upsell other products (or even upsell to Koodo/Telus brand)

I think its fairly obvious the instore model costs Public far less...

@Poogzley wrote:

Why is it that people who activate instore (Walmart/PM Kiosk) get a free SIM but those who activate online have to pay 10$?

Mini rant:
It seems like it should be the other way around... stores have a larger overhead besides they have to pay employee to be there. Meanwhile those who order a Sim online pay an extra 10$, this does not make sense to me I think it should be the other way around. Isn't Public Mobile's all about self-service but then they give you a better deal if you actually depend on in-store service? This does not make sense to me as it seems to go against the companies general philosophy. Even Koodo (Telus's other MVNO) gives free Sims when you activate online not in-store. Furthermore every time I have gone to one of Public Mobiles retail partners like Walmart the sales person has always pushed me to go with Bell or Rogers instead (I assume they have a higher commission rate). I even had one employee who completely refused to sell a PM Sim, I ended up going to a different location... All this to say that the whole system seems counter intuitive meaning that Public Mobile are missing out on potential clients and most importantly the consumers are the ones losing out as not everyone is near a retail partner.

My proposal: If PM still wants to sell the SIMs online for 10$ they could give a 10$ credit to those how activate online essentially making the cost of the SIM 0$. Alternatively they could just send you the SIM for free after you complete the resgistration process and then you could complete the activation and start your billing cycle once you receive it.

I really like Public Mobile and want to see them succeed, this is just something that has been bothering me for a while and just wanted to put it out there.

I would love to get feedback form one of the @CS_Agent  if they are willing to reach out for comment.

Montrealpost

@missorange wrote:

maybe the major cost is the shipping, this is why PM dont not offer free sim. but I agree with your suggestions, the phone provider need to see the long term benefits. 

Yes, I hope PM will see the long term benefits!!

CellGirl

@Poogzley 

I had to pay $11 at a kiosk, so not always free.

@missorange wrote:

maybe the major cost is the shipping, this is why PM dont not offer free sim. but I agree with your suggestions, the phone provider need to see the long term benefits. 

Then they will come up with some kind of Activation Fees. So we should be thankful for the online only self activation process with no fees and still earn rewards. AutoPay reward itself pays for the sim card within 5 months, and here we are asking to get the $10 sim card fees back Smiley Frustrated

nwahkan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Need Help? Let's chat.