cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Where to get sim, Walmart not giving it

If it's a hassle then don't bother with Walmart.  You can also buy PM SIM cards at WOW! mobile boutique (Marlborough Mall, CF Chinook Centre, Sunridge Mall).  Or order them online.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Such a strange policy for a single store to adopt. It feels like a detached upper management person just made a blanket statement for all SIMs.

I had a similar experience a couple months ago where the person at Walmart insisted to activate the account for me otherwise the SIM is considered final sale. I denied it, informing them that I already have an active account, and the SIM I am purchasing was for a family member and I am perfectly capable of doing it myself.

I can only speculate two possible rational reasons.

1. Liability; they want to be sure a customer's sim is working to avoid the complication of complaints and returns from human error.
  2. Commision; which I don't believe is relevent with PM? (I couldn't be wrong.)
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I had a similar experience when I asked to purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at Wal-Mart in Calgary. The first two guys I asked, he didn't even know what Public Mobile was. I told the second guy Wal-Mart is an authorized retailer for Public Mobile.  He then asked his supervisor, who fortunately, knew what it was. So he went into a drawer by the cash register, and took out a stack of Public Mobile sim cards and gave me one. Seems like a lot of employees do not know Wal-Mart sells Public Mobile sim cards.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone.

I got one from wow mobile. 

Quite ridiculous for authorized seller to pull off that stupidity. 

I'm surprised Public Mobile allows this. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Indirab09 I had a similar experience, and decided to stop wasting my time running around and trying to find a PM SIM card at Walmart (which doesn't even have signage for PM, while the logos for Koodo, Telus, Virgin, Chatr, etc. are all over).

Go to Market Mall, Sunridge, Marlborough, Chinook Centre, South Centre, or CrossIron Mills and find the Wow! kiosk, and get it from there.

I'm curious -- which Walmart were you at?  I had no luck at Sage Hills.  Was going to try Royal Oak or even Airdrie Walmart, and then decided to save myself the grief and just headed to CrossIron, found the Wow! kiosk, and got what I was looking for with no hassle or wasted time (unlike Walmart, where the rep kept trying to push Koodo or something else on me).

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just had the same BS at the Walmart in Pickering. Was told that one of the reasons was for fraud prevention. What kind of fraud are you going to commit with a SIM card?

Was also told that Walmart was told by the Koodo reps that the activation in store was required. Like I am going to let some half trained monkey (no offence to the monkeys out there) set up my account when everything is online and self-serve.

Mayor / Maire

@Mary_M I know you are looking into this just one more to add to your list.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just came back from the local WOW Boutique and got a SIM no problem. In fact the guy couldn't believe some of the BS that Walmart was saying.

P.S. For what it is worth while talking to the guy, they do get a commission for activating/setting up a PM account. Only $5, but that could be another reason for the BS from Walmart.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Stormywrote:

Just came back from the local WOW Boutique and got a SIM no problem. In fact the guy couldn't believe some of the BS that Walmart was saying.

P.S. For what it is worth while talking to the guy, they do get a commission for activating/setting up a PM account. Only $5, but that could be another reason for the BS from Walmart.

The truth finally is revealed.