cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Where to buy SIMS for Public Mobile

I strongly recommend using London Drugs.

I completed an in-store activation at London Drugs Gibsons store this morning (that included porting my existing phone number from Petro Canada Mobility) and the experience could not have been quicker or easier. I walked in with a Petro Canada Mobility account and walked out, 15 minutes later, with a fully functional Public Mobile account, and my old, familiar, phone number.  The LD associate knew what to do and how to do it.  While I stood at the counter he completed the online forms based on my answers to his questions.

My suggestions for a pain free transition are:

- Ensure you have an unlocked phone.

- Opt for in-store activation rather than attempting to do it yourself at home online, making an error, and then finding there is no help line to call.

- Review post-paid and prepaid Public Mobile plan options in advance and know which one you want.

- Familiarize yourself with the Public Mobile activation process in advance, and have all the required information ready to provide to the associate.  If you wish to port over your old phone number that includes:

1. Your old phone number (the one you want ported to Public Mobile), account number and PIN.  (For porting Petro Canada Mobility accounts your account number is your phone number with no spaces).

2.  To open a new Public Mobile account you must first provide your first and last names, address and postal code, date of birth and an alternate phone number.

3.  To get your self-serve account set up you will also need to provide a username (email address) and a password.  You will then select a security question from a list and provide the answer to the associate to enter.  You will also provide a 4 digit PIN number to the associate to enter.  To save time it is useful to have decided on your preferred password and PIN before you begin the process.

The associate then inserts the Public Mobile SIM card into your unlocked phone and selects your desired plan. The porting process completes and various confirming texts are sent to your phone number  ... and voila!  Just pay $10 for the SIM Card and $30 for the activation fee and you're on your way.

That's all there is to it.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Where to buy SIMS for Public Mobile

Thanks for sharing yoru expereince. A few points to correct or clarify:

@teazle wrote:

- Opt for in-store activation rather than attempting to do it yourself at home online, making an error, and then finding there is no help line to call.

- Review post-paid and prepaid Public Mobile plan options in advance and know which one you want.

2.  To open a new Public Mobile account you must first provide your first and last names, address and postal code, date of birth and an alternate phone number.

3.  To get your self-serve account set up you will also need to provide a username (email address) and a password.  You will then select a security question from a list and provide the answer to the associate to enter.  You will also provide a 4 digit PIN number to the associate to enter.  To save time it is useful to have decided on your preferred password and PIN before you begin the process.

Keep in mind that some promotions require that you register online yourself to qualify and registering in the store will disqualify you for that specific promo. So be sure you know the requirements.

ALL plans with Public Mobile are pre-paid. There are no post-paid plans.

If you register online, you can enter whatever info you want. None of that info is validated. And you do not need to supply an alternate tel #.

Also, if you register online you can keep all your personal info personal, including security questions The only info that ever needs to be shared with anyone is your PIN when communicating with PM moderators.

(BTW after over a year with lots of communication with PM, even when they had trouble veirfying me NEVER used the security questions, nor when having trouble resetting account access, and other similar situations; I'm not even sure where or how they are ever used).

Again, thanks for sharing.