cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart won't sell PM sim without having it activated on the spot !!

chad2001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wish I knew about that earlier.  Save your time and go to WOW boutique if you just want to buy a SIM and activate at a later time.

The guy at the cellphone counter at Calgary's Westbrook Walmart gave me the stupidest explanation ever when asked why they won't sell an unactivated sim card.  "We have a limited supply of PM sim cards.  If I sell it to you unactivated, another customer comes along and want an activated sim card, I won't be able to sell to him." !!!

4 REPLIES 4

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@chad2001 wrote:

I wish I knew about that earlier.  Save your time and go to WOW boutique if you just want to buy a SIM and activate at a later time.

The guy at the cellphone counter at Calgary's Westbrook Walmart gave me the stupidest explanation ever when asked why they won't sell an unactivated sim card.  "We have a limited supply of PM sim cards.  If I sell it to you unactivated, another customer comes along and want an activated sim card, I won't be able to sell to him." !!!

No problems for me at Walmart.  The SIM is only registered to the receipt, not to a new number or porting. Otherwise, just tell them that you haven't activated a referral yet.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It maybe easier to just purchase the sim online

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I purchased 2 cards last night at Walmart for friends. They asked to activate them and I politely declined and told them I'd prefer to do it myself. They seemed more relieved than perturbed! I guess it depends on who you get to serve you.

GC

pakmode2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had alot of problems at Walmart as well. 

Probably the dumbest conversation I had in 2018.

Personally, I think they get confused with the amount of products they sell and are dumb.

I literally told the guy I want to pay $10 for the sim card.  He said he had to activate it.

This conversation repeated itself, until I finally asked him how much do I pay if I activate it?  $10.

How much do I pay if I don't activate it?  $10.

Then he clued in and realized his mistake.

Need Help? Let's chat.