cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart - terrible service

sprocket
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My friend has been trying to get me to switch to Public Mobile for some time and I didn't go for it until Friday when I have been having issues with my other provider and she told me about a great program going on with public right now where refer a friend gives both the referal and the person who referred $25 credit instead of $10 and $10 off for six months on plans $30 or over if you sign up online! It said order online r buy at a retailed and activate online. I thought this is too great to miss! So I looked up plans on public mobile site and where to get a sim. I didn't want to wait to mail one. I found out Walmart carries them and thought great and headed right over. Wrong call.

I got to walmart and asked a sales associate if they had a public mobile sim to buy. He told me they carry them but he wouldn't sell me one unless he activated it there. I didn't know if this was any different than online activation. It looked the same. He then proceeded to try to talk me out of going with Public Mobile and told me about how many people have complained to him and how terrible public mobile is and that you can't get any help when something was wrong. I asked about options and he tried to sell me on lucky or chatr but I had no knowledge about them and their plans weren't good. When I said I'll stick with Public things went downhill. He became decidedly less friendly, wasn't particularly helpful during the activation. Asked me to pick a phone number but wouldn't  even let me try to pick the option where you try to find a number you want because he says that never works. I worked for telus years ago, it may rarely work but you give the customer the option to try it once or twice because sometimes it does. I had originally thought of transferring my current number but given his attitude problem I didn't want to speak with him anymore than necessary so I just picked a number and finished things up. I had my plan picked out already so I told him and had to show him on the screen because he was just being generally grumpy. It wasn't until after everything that he showed me the different amounts of cards you can get like 28 and $40 and told me they sell in silly amounts. I just bought $40 to cover my plan because I could set up a credit card at home. Luckily when I got home and set up my self serve account I found out I could transfer my number from my old provider myself and use it.

We didn't set up my phone, or unlock it even or even put the sim card in it so I''m still at a loss as to why I couldn't just buy the sim and go home and activate it online like the public mobile website said. So the great $25 deal plus $10 a month for 6 months that I switched for in the first  place, I don't get. All I got was horrible service. I will be complaining to Walmart for sure.

28 REPLIES 28

cprnicus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm coming over to PM from Rogers and walmart was the closest place to buy the sim and vouchers. They tried to railroad me to sign up then and there or they couldn't "sell" me the simm card. Now my simm card is old school and so is my moto E so I got a great deal on a couple of moto E4's and planned on using my old simm with PM's BYOP plans. First thing that stumped buddy at Walmart was my new phone is micro simm and my old card wouldn't work anyway. Second was keeping my existing Rogers number as he needed to go into my account online with Rogers for some reason and I couldn't remember my Pswrd. After wasting about 30 min of his precious time by this point, he decided to go "ask" his "manager" about the obstacles presented before him - and comes back that he got a "just sell him the stuff!" from said manager and I was on my way to do it all online as I originally intended. Ya, next time we will do this differently and tell them to just hand over the goods and no chatter.

Andyrewr

Ouch my freind went the other day to register and the guy at the counter i guess didnt know how to set it up so he said that public was garbage, and sent him away he ended up going back to pc mobile! that evil doer cost me a $25 referral bonus and $1 off a month!

sprocket

@Psygineer  I absolutely get your issue and why you originally handed them over the information to begin with. First off some of us are in smaller towns or cities where we don't have the option of going to all the different places that carry PM. Or maybe there's another one in town but you're at the walmart and the other place is other side of town and you don't drive. In that case you just do what you have to or you do the other covnenient thing and go with another provider. not ALL of us have the same options and abilities. Yes that's our problem but we shouldn't be taken advantage of my sales people either way.

Secondly, you're in the store to get what you need, probably not just the PM SIM, th eplace it likely busy, it was when I went, it's walmart. Yeah giving out personal stuff for copies is bad but if you've not been with PM before you don't know that's not part of their policy to avoid people using stolen credit cards or fakes. Did your sales person tell you he was taking copies before he asked for the items or did he ask and then tell you? it's a little uncomfortable making a huge scene saying hey no you give me that back and I think at that point that's all just a bit of excess nonsense in order to be a Public Mobile user. So I'm guessing you just wanted to get you stuff and get out.

My point being I think that people have been a little harsh in all the comments about how we should have just done this or that instead, especially the CRA comments, etc. We're supposed to be helping each other in this community. Thank you to all who gave information, like the onformation on CCTS, etc. Constructive instead of critical is the way to go.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

@Psygineer, if your company is footing the bill, you don't have a reason to have a choice of device.

They pay the bill, they call the shots.

It's a taxable benefit, so you'll pay too in the end.

That's true, but my concern if I got a phone that was too old to start with it would, before the 2 years before the company would consider replacing it, start being unable to run the required Apps (like on my Tablet, it was less than a year old before the Galaxy Tab 3 stopped getting OS updates and started being unable to run more and more Apps I wanted/needed it for.) I assumed the same would hold true for a phone that was already 2 years old. Mind you I learned later on that wasn't the case as my LG G Flex (5-6 years old) can run everything work needs me to run. I had no idea back them due to it being my first cell.

Anyway we are side tracking the OPs post too much at this point. Walmart was annoying for me too by taking way too much info from me just to buy the SIM was my original point lol.

@Psygineer, if your company is footing the bill, you don't have a reason to have a choice of device.

They pay the bill, they call the shots.

It's a taxable benefit, so you'll pay too in the end.

Psygineer

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@

@

@

I'm aware it is serious. It's why it still bugs me enough to mention it so many months later. Not having ever had a cell or SIM before I had no idea it wasn't normal practice. Annoys me now. I could have just bought the SIM online but with work breathing down my neck, my probation period still being in effect and being given an ultimatum by work. I did what I had to. I figured it was better to blow $11.30 on a burner SIM and wait for a restock on the Pixel 2, S8 or LG G6/V20 rather than take the LG K7 or Samsung J3 (All were in the $60 package with 1GB of data and Canada Wide Calling and the Pixel 2 and S8 had $100 gift cards with them too).

@Psygineer

Totally side tracking here: 

I strongly believe that, if work requires you to have a cell phone, it's up to them to set you up with one. I hope they pay your bills at least.

They do require it and they give $20 per pay ($40 per month) towards your cellphone bill. They class that as paying "about half" your cellphone bill (Based on the standard cost of a Canada Wide calling plan with texting and at least 1GB of data). With PM being $35+tax a month, I actually gain 45 cents a month rather than having to pay the remaining $30 or so on a standard post-pay bill. 

They did give the option to supply a phone on the company plan (Rogers) but you have to get the phone from a certain store, and that store doesn't stock anything newer (This was May 2018, and their newest phone that I could get on the company plan (without out of pocket costs because the company didn't pay extra for phones they tell you to pick from the "free" ones or pay the difference yourself) was Q2 2016. Plus if you leave the company you have to give back the phone, SIM and number. Having my own means I can keep the number if I want it and I am not out of pocket for the cost of the phone that was returned. 

Fun fact: One of the phones they offered was the Note 7. They had 2 left in stock (despite the fact I am pretty sure they were recalled), they had a fee associated with them (I think you had to pay $100) but I was sort of tempted just to see if it would eventually explode.

@Psygineer wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@

@

@

I'm aware it is serious. It's why it still bugs me enough to mention it so many months later. Not having ever had a cell or SIM before I had no idea it wasn't normal practice. Annoys me now. I could have just bought the SIM online but with work breathing down my neck, my probation period still being in effect and being given an ultimatum by work. I did what I had to. I figured it was better to blow $11.30 on a burner SIM and wait for a restock on the Pixel 2, S8 or LG G6/V20 rather than take the LG K7 or Samsung J3 (All were in the $60 package with 1GB of data and Canada Wide Calling and the Pixel 2 and S8 had $100 gift cards with them too).

@Psygineer

Totally side tracking here: 

I strongly believe that, if work requires you to have a cell phone, it's up to them to set you up with one. I hope they pay your bills at least.

Psygineer

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

I still am annoyed at the fact they photocopied the front and back of my credit card, driver's license. along with removing my SIM from the package and doing the same with it (same photocopies). I like to open my own things, but forgiving that, I saw no reason why they needed to photocopy my credit card front and back and then made me go through the POS and pay with it then. I also didn't get the point of the driver's license either. I'm pretty sure they ran a credit check on me as I took a hit to my credit rating during that month (and I had had no new credit cards or other credit rating-related transactions that month). The POS billed the card without issue (tap to pay) worked fine for the $11.30 purchase. There was no reason that I could see to need to photocopy my card (especially not front and back). So far there has been no fraudulent charges. My credit rating has recovered from the hit too now, but it was still annoying. The second SIM I bought they didn't do any of that. They treated it like a normal sale as if I was buying a pack of batteries.

@PsygineerWhy would you let them? I would be more annoyed at myself for allowing them to do this.

I have a feeling you answered the phone when the "CRA" called you and you ended up sending them money.

Harsh at the CRA crack... I've never owned a cell phone nor a SIM before this purchase. Public Mobile was my first ever carrier. I had asked why the driver's license was needed and they stated it was required. Not having any other baseline to compare it to, and having seen Best Buy and the Telus store (doesn't have PM SIMs) ask for those things when people were buying phones (I originally planned on going Telus or Bell on a 2-year contract, but they were always sold out of the Pixel 2 (the phone I wanted "free"). I took it to be normal when Walmart asked for it. I'm not really one to make a fuss, and it is the only place in the entire city that sells the SIMs. I required the phone for work, and had been reminded three times already that I had to get one, so I went with PM and used a borrowed phone as a temporary solution. Now I have no intention of leaving PM and will just buy my own phones with the savings.

@PsygineerSorry I was trying to use it to show how serious this is. They literally took your drivers license number, birth day, address, credit card number/exp/ccv. This is a big deal when it was not something they should have taken. Who knows what kind of accounts and fraud can be done with this information.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

I still am annoyed at the fact they photocopied the front and back of my credit card, driver's license. along with removing my SIM from the package and doing the same with it (same photocopies). I like to open my own things, but forgiving that, I saw no reason why they needed to photocopy my credit card front and back and then made me go through the POS and pay with it then. I also didn't get the point of the driver's license either. I'm pretty sure they ran a credit check on me as I took a hit to my credit rating during that month (and I had had no new credit cards or other credit rating-related transactions that month). The POS billed the card without issue (tap to pay) worked fine for the $11.30 purchase. There was no reason that I could see to need to photocopy my card (especially not front and back). So far there has been no fraudulent charges. My credit rating has recovered from the hit too now, but it was still annoying. The second SIM I bought they didn't do any of that. They treated it like a normal sale as if I was buying a pack of batteries.

@PsygineerWhy would you let them? I would be more annoyed at myself for handing over my drivers license and allowing them to do this.

I have a feeling you answered the phone when the "CRA" called you and you ended up sending them money.

Everyone and everything is trying to scam you at all times. Be weary of everything and never hand over any personal information like your drivers license.

I think the comment in bold was a little un called for.  I am thinking the reason they took all this was to later tell PM that they did the activation so the sales person could get the commission.

@ShawnC13Sorry, it came across different for what I intended. I was trying to use it to show how serious of a matter it is.

But after re-reading it you're absolutly right- its uncalled for- it was not my intention to use it like a "you are stupid" kind of thing, but I see how it sounds that way

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@PsygineerWhy would you let them? I would be more annoyed at myself for handing over my drivers license and allowing them to do this.

Everyone and everything is trying to scam you at all times. Be weary of everything and never hand over any personal information like your drivers license.

I think the comment in bold was a little un called for.  I am thinking the reason they took all this was to later tell PM that they did the activation so the sales person could get the commission.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@AnonymousKnowing that information is not needed is a red flag combined with the risk of having that person perform identify theft is more important than getting a sim card, in all cases. You leave, and do what it takes to get a sim card with another method.

They now have his complete address, birth day, license number and credit card and ccv number. This is enough information to do almost anything.

I know we're all also writing for future readers (readers good one) but yes I know. So yes it depends on how badly you want the thing and what your options are.

@Psygineer wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@PsygineerWhy would you let them? I would be more annoyed at myself for allowing them to do this.

Harsh at the CRA crack... I've never owned a cell phone nor a SIM before this purchase. Public Mobile was my first ever carrier. I had asked why the driver's license was needed and they stated it was required. Not having any other baseline to compare it to, and having seen Best Buy and the Telus store (doesn't have PM SIMs) ask for those things when people were buying phones (I originally planned on going Telus or Bell on a 2-year contract, but they were always sold out of the Pixel 2 (the phone I wanted "free"). I took it to be normal when Walmart asked for it. I'm not really one to make a fuss, and it is the only place in the entire city that sells the SIMs. I required the phone for work, and had been reminded three times already that I had to get one, so I went with PM and used a borrowed phone as a temporary solution. Now I have no intention of leaving PM and will just buy my own phones with the savings.

@PsygineerSorry I was trying to use it to show how serious this is. They literally took your drivers license number, birth day, address, credit card number/exp/ccv. This is a big deal when it was not something they should have taken. Who knows what kind of accounts and fraud can be done with this information.

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

Depends on options I suppose RobertQc. If they're the only game in town and you want something, they can hang you over the barrel all they want. Oh you want this do ya? Well we're gonna need all this from you. Oh you don't want to do that for us. Well then see ya.

Sometimes what can you do.

@AnonymousKnowing that information is not needed is a red flag combined with the risk of having that person perform identify theft is more important than getting a sim card, in all cases. You leave, and do what it takes to get a sim card with another method.

They now have his complete address, birth day, license number and credit card and ccv number. This is enough information to do almost anything.

Psygineer

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

Depends on options I suppose RobertQc. If they're the only game in town and you want something, they can hang you over the barrel all they want. Oh you want this do ya? Well we're gonna need all this from you. Oh you don't want to do that for us. Well then see ya.

Sometimes what can you do.

@Psygineer wrote:

This came out different vs what I intended, I was trying to use this example to how serious I think this is. I am very sorry for how it came out.

Psygineer

@sprocket wrote:

That's a good idea. I'm sure they have a website where we can make complaints as well. I intend on contacting Walmart head office as well to make a complaint. I've worked both in mobile phone sales and retail years ago, I've been through many busy seasons like Christmas. It's just no reason to be a tool. Yes it sucks, take it home. A lot of problems happen at Walmart but they do actually care when you bring it to their attention luckily. 

The wireless shop at Walmart is not run by Walmart.  They are run by OSL.

https://oslrs.com/

Complaints on wireless services is handled by the CCTS.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/About-The-CCTS/ta-p/33309

@sprocketYes there is so much knowledge here but most don't even realize it exists.

We are all human, the best way to do it is smile, say please and thank you and to say I just need to get a replacement sim card for my mom, she had her phone stolen and just needs to link a new sim card to the account, is there anyway can you please help my mom. (or some other good story)

sprocket

@RobertQc I now order sim cards on the internet, and keep extra on hand."

Keeping them on hand is definitely something I will keep in mind for referring people. The person who referred me offered to send me one she had but it was just faster to buy than wait because I'm sure Canada Post may be backed up after the strike and given the season. Lesson learned.

It's too bad some common community knowledge isn't available without an account. Or I suppose I should have checked, it very well may be. If I'd read other accounts about the best places to buy I probably would have waited. I assumed that it was the same at all retailers.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@sprocket wrote:

We didn't set up my phone, or unlock it even or even put the sim card in it so I''m still at a loss as to why I couldn't just buy the sim and go home and activate it online like the public mobile website said. So the great $25 deal plus $10 a month for 6 months that I switched for in the first  place, I don't get. All I got was horrible service. I will be complaining to Walmart for sure.

He would make $0 for selling you just a sim card and make a tiny amount for forcing you to activate on public mobile. Instead of this tiny amount, he would rather force you to activate else where because it would net him bigger commission. It's just a terrible service they provide. 

@sprocket wrote:

why sell your product where the employees are bad mouthing the company.

@sprocketI have gone to multiple stores to get sim cards for referal reasons, I have had good success at walmart most of the time. Bad mouthing public mobile is the common thing not only from walmart but every single other store (wow mobile and the mobile shop) I have gone to purchase a sim card.

They could do it better, but I think its fair for them to "bad mouth" to give the customer a warning, because public mobile does things different. at least you know what you are getting into.  I hate it when you go buy something and they tip-toe around, and hide the truth. Not with retailers and PM, they really let you know, you may regret going with PM. They want to not only wipe their hands clean of any responsibility, but also move you up to a higher cost service.

I now order sim cards on the internet, and keep extra on hand.

sprocket

That's a good idea. I'm sure they have a website where we can make complaints as well. I intend on contacting Walmart head office as well to make a complaint. I've worked both in mobile phone sales and retail years ago, I've been through many busy seasons like Christmas. It's just no reason to be a tool. Yes it sucks, take it home. A lot of problems happen at Walmart but they do actually care when you bring it to their attention luckily. 

@stonechucker wrote:

Too many have problems at Walmart.  End this partnership immediately.

Start providing sims at Telus owned properties.

I don't see this happening any time soon.  It would not surprise me if Walmart brought in the most activations of any of the retail partners.  I am sure metrics like poor customer service gets lost in translation.  In a situation like this, I would take the case to the CCTS after.  That is one data point no carrier can esponge from records or ignore.  The only way to fix Walmart is for customers to fight back against the poor service. 

sprocket

I have to agree on the suspending Walmart association. I have been on this community site for less than 30 minutes and I've heard nothing but problems with their service. Not only that but why sell your product where the employees are bad mouthing the company. If I had not looked at the Public Mobile site I wouldn't have known it was available at all because their is no public mobile information on display like other providers and the sim was kept in a locked metal cabinet.

Not sure about providing them in telus run locations but there has to be better options than walmart. Someone mentioned a Public Mobile vending machine in the GTA. That would be a great option elsewhere too!

Too many have problems at Walmart.  End this partnership immediately.

Start providing sims at Telus owned properties.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sprocket, sorry to hear this all to common story from Walmart.  I am not sure where you are located but there are other retailers and if someone isn't going to sell me what I want I leave.  He wouldn't just sell you the sim as he wouldn't get a commission for the activation  Not sure what your previous plan was but I am sure that you will cover the lost promo value quickly with a new PM Plan.  I know that wasn't the goal and sorry you had that bad experience with Walmart.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@sprocketSorry for your trouble, not everyone has trouble at walmart, but MANY do.

It's all about the money in their pocket (spiffs), plus the limited support and control they have if you come back to complain when there is a problem with public mobile. Public mobile is a love or hate game, for not only the customers but also the resellers. It has also been mentioned the OSL booth inside walmart has limited PM sim card quantity, if they sell you the sim card without activation, they may run out when someone comes in for an activation. At the same time, they get paid very little for the activation, so they are already frustrated and want to do it as quickly as possible.

When they sell you a top tier service, such as Rogers, the reward for them is also top tier (I know, I used to work for Rogers) and Rogers also has 24/7 support so if you come to them with a problem they can take care of you, fast. The more money you spend, the more they get. The better service you get, the easier that store can work with said company, to solve your issues.

It sucks to referr / resell someone to public mobile if there is a problem you come back to them "Why did you sell me this sh*** service, how do I fix my phone? what!? I need to send a message? no one to call? it takes how many days to hear back"? "my phone isin't working" sorry, moderator team sometimes takes a week to respond, the message you got back after 1 week did not solve your issue, and they ask you for more details or don't even read your private message properly..... great.

While I like love public mobile, it has not always been easy. The longest response time with public mobile I encountered was 8 days and I have had my private message from the moderator team not responded to properly, I was sent a "generic" response that did not deal with my issue. In the end everything works out, but you have to be prepared and understand this is a glitchy, bottom barrel kind of service that happens to utilize the best network in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.