cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Walmart - terrible service

My friend has been trying to get me to switch to Public Mobile for some time and I didn't go for it until Friday when I have been having issues with my other provider and she told me about a great program going on with public right now where refer a friend gives both the referal and the person who referred $25 credit instead of $10 and $10 off for six months on plans $30 or over if you sign up online! It said order online r buy at a retailed and activate online. I thought this is too great to miss! So I looked up plans on public mobile site and where to get a sim. I didn't want to wait to mail one. I found out Walmart carries them and thought great and headed right over. Wrong call.

I got to walmart and asked a sales associate if they had a public mobile sim to buy. He told me they carry them but he wouldn't sell me one unless he activated it there. I didn't know if this was any different than online activation. It looked the same. He then proceeded to try to talk me out of going with Public Mobile and told me about how many people have complained to him and how terrible public mobile is and that you can't get any help when something was wrong. I asked about options and he tried to sell me on lucky or chatr but I had no knowledge about them and their plans weren't good. When I said I'll stick with Public things went downhill. He became decidedly less friendly, wasn't particularly helpful during the activation. Asked me to pick a phone number but wouldn't  even let me try to pick the option where you try to find a number you want because he says that never works. I worked for telus years ago, it may rarely work but you give the customer the option to try it once or twice because sometimes it does. I had originally thought of transferring my current number but given his attitude problem I didn't want to speak with him anymore than necessary so I just picked a number and finished things up. I had my plan picked out already so I told him and had to show him on the screen because he was just being generally grumpy. It wasn't until after everything that he showed me the different amounts of cards you can get like 28 and $40 and told me they sell in silly amounts. I just bought $40 to cover my plan because I could set up a credit card at home. Luckily when I got home and set up my self serve account I found out I could transfer my number from my old provider myself and use it.

We didn't set up my phone, or unlock it even or even put the sim card in it so I''m still at a loss as to why I couldn't just buy the sim and go home and activate it online like the public mobile website said. So the great $25 deal plus $10 a month for 6 months that I switched for in the first  place, I don't get. All I got was horrible service. I will be complaining to Walmart for sure.

Tags (2)
Mayor / Maire

Re: Walmart - terrible service

@sprocketSorry for your trouble, not everyone has trouble at walmart, but MANY do.

It's all about the money in their pocket (spiffs), plus the limited support and control they have if you come back to complain when there is a problem with public mobile. Public mobile is a love or hate game, for not only the customers but also the resellers. It has also been mentioned the OSL booth inside walmart has limited PM sim card quantity, if they sell you the sim card without activation, they may run out when someone comes in for an activation. At the same time, they get paid very little for the activation, so they are already frustrated and want to do it as quickly as possible.

When they sell you a top tier service, such as Rogers, the reward for them is also top tier (I know, I used to work for Rogers) and Rogers also has 24/7 support so if you come to them with a problem they can take care of you, fast. The more money you spend, the more they get. The better service you get, the easier that store can work with said company, to solve your issues.

It sucks to referr / resell someone to public mobile if there is a problem you come back to them "Why did you sell me this sh*** service, how do I fix my phone? what!? I need to send a message? no one to call? it takes how many days to hear back"? "my phone isin't working" sorry, moderator team sometimes takes a week to respond, the message you got back after 1 week did not solve your issue, and they ask you for more details or don't even read your private message properly..... great.

While I like love public mobile, it has not always been easy. The longest response time with public mobile I encountered was 8 days and I have had my private message from the moderator team not responded to properly, I was sent a "generic" response that did not deal with my issue. In the end everything works out, but you have to be prepared and understand this is a glitchy, bottom barrel kind of service that happens to utilize the best network in Canada.

Oracle

@sprocket, sorry to hear this all to common story from Walmart.  I am not sure where you are located but there are other retailers and if someone isn't going to sell me what I want I leave.  He wouldn't just sell you the sim as he wouldn't get a commission for the activation  Not sure what your previous plan was but I am sure that you will cover the lost promo value quickly with a new PM Plan.  I know that wasn't the goal and sorry you had that bad experience with Walmart.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

Too many have problems at Walmart.  End this partnership immediately.

Start providing sims at Telus owned properties.

I have to agree on the suspending Walmart association. I have been on this community site for less than 30 minutes and I've heard nothing but problems with their service. Not only that but why sell your product where the employees are bad mouthing the company. If I had not looked at the Public Mobile site I wouldn't have known it was available at all because their is no public mobile information on display like other providers and the sim was kept in a locked metal cabinet.

Not sure about providing them in telus run locations but there has to be better options than walmart. Someone mentioned a Public Mobile vending machine in the GTA. That would be a great option elsewhere too!

Oracle

@stonechucker wrote:

Too many have problems at Walmart.  End this partnership immediately.

Start providing sims at Telus owned properties.

I don't see this happening any time soon.  It would not surprise me if Walmart brought in the most activations of any of the retail partners.  I am sure metrics like poor customer service gets lost in translation.  In a situation like this, I would take the case to the CCTS after.  That is one data point no carrier can esponge from records or ignore.  The only way to fix Walmart is for customers to fight back against the poor service. 

That's a good idea. I'm sure they have a website where we can make complaints as well. I intend on contacting Walmart head office as well to make a complaint. I've worked both in mobile phone sales and retail years ago, I've been through many busy seasons like Christmas. It's just no reason to be a tool. Yes it sucks, take it home. A lot of problems happen at Walmart but they do actually care when you bring it to their attention luckily. 

Mayor / Maire

@sprocket wrote:

why sell your product where the employees are bad mouthing the company.

@sprocketI have gone to multiple stores to get sim cards for referal reasons, I have had good success at walmart most of the time. Bad mouthing public mobile is the common thing not only from walmart but every single other store (wow mobile and the mobile shop) I have gone to purchase a sim card.

They could do it better, but I think its fair for them to "bad mouth" to give the customer a warning, because public mobile does things different. at least you know what you are getting into.  I hate it when you go buy something and they tip-toe around, and hide the truth. Not with retailers and PM, they really let you know, you may regret going with PM. They want to not only wipe their hands clean of any responsibility, but also move you up to a higher cost service.

I now order sim cards on the internet, and keep extra on hand.

Oracle

@sprocket wrote:

We didn't set up my phone, or unlock it even or even put the sim card in it so I''m still at a loss as to why I couldn't just buy the sim and go home and activate it online like the public mobile website said. So the great $25 deal plus $10 a month for 6 months that I switched for in the first  place, I don't get. All I got was horrible service. I will be complaining to Walmart for sure.

He would make $0 for selling you just a sim card and make a tiny amount for forcing you to activate on public mobile. Instead of this tiny amount, he would rather force you to activate else where because it would net him bigger commission. It's just a terrible service they provide. 

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

@RobertQc I now order sim cards on the internet, and keep extra on hand."

Keeping them on hand is definitely something I will keep in mind for referring people. The person who referred me offered to send me one she had but it was just faster to buy than wait because I'm sure Canada Post may be backed up after the strike and given the season. Lesson learned.

It's too bad some common community knowledge isn't available without an account. Or I suppose I should have checked, it very well may be. If I'd read other accounts about the best places to buy I probably would have waited. I assumed that it was the same at all retailers.