cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart requires set up at location to get Sim card

bethechangeyyc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Went to Walmart in Marlborough Mall Calgary to get a sim. They require you to set up your phone at the location anc pay for the plan in order to get the sim card. You cannot just purchase one their. As i was waitibg to get this phone operational other customers inquired about purchasing sim cards from them as well and they refused. Just thought id post jere in case anyone was wondering. 

9 REPLIES 9

Ottawaal

Went to Walmart and the clerk was very helpful with my activation and was also able to get my phone unlocked by Bell which I tried and was not able. Great service and free SIM card.

Walmart in Hawkesbury Ont.

@Anonymous 

The guys in the Walmart store are not Walmart employees

They are OSL and as per their policies they are required to sell without activation

Course no commission that way which is why the grief

The tiny little telecom is (at worst) part of the 3rd largest carrier in Canada (often 2nd) so Public has way more pull than OSL if push comes to shove

@Anonymous wrote:

Remember the ever helpful "participating retailers" disclaimer. Seeing as how this has been going on this long, I doubt PM can require anything of retailers. Uh yeah hey honkin big giant corporation? Would you mind selling just SIM's as well as activations please? Pretty please? Uh yeah hey piddly little telecom? How about go pound sand. We'll do whatever we want thank you very much.

Yegger
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

SIM is $10 online. If it saves me $10 to activate at Walmart store, I'll do it.  wait... I've done it! 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BullDogPup wrote:

London Drugs not only required set up at their location in order to get a sim card, they also insisted that I needed to purchase $20.00 in prepaid minutes in order to activate my phone.  It took almost an hour to get my phone set up and I finally had to insist on talking to a store manager before they would complete the transaction without selling me the prepaid card.  The employee kept telling me that the phone wouldn't be usable without a prepaid card even though he had just registered the sim with PM.  They had no clue as to how PM actually worked.  All their experience was in selling cameras!

There was someone with a similar story not too long ago. I'm not certain it was London Drugs. Seems it was just a voucher. Fine. Usable. But certainly not *required*.

BullDogPup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

London Drugs not only required set up at their location in order to get a sim card, they also insisted that I needed to purchase $20.00 in prepaid minutes in order to activate my phone.  It took almost an hour to get my phone set up and I finally had to insist on talking to a store manager before they would complete the transaction without selling me the prepaid card.  The employee kept telling me that the phone wouldn't be usable without a prepaid card even though he had just registered the sim with PM.  They had no clue as to how PM actually worked.  All their experience was in selling cameras!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex888 wrote:

@bethechangeyycYou should send a message to the moderators and let them know the location, refusing to sell a SIM without a plan goes against their policies, you can message them here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Remember the ever helpful "participating retailers" disclaimer. Seeing as how this has been going on this long, I doubt PM can require anything of retailers. Uh yeah hey honkin big giant corporation? Would you mind selling just SIM's as well as activations please? Pretty please? Uh yeah hey piddly little telecom? How about go pound sand. We'll do whatever we want thank you very much.

bethechangeyyc

Oh thanks for letting me know. I dis not know that. 

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@bethechangeyycYou should send a message to the moderators and let them know the location, refusing to sell a SIM without a plan goes against their policies, you can message them here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@bethechangeyyc wrote:

Went to Walmart in Marlborough Mall Calgary to get a sim. They require you to set up your phone at the location anc pay for the plan in order to get the sim card. You cannot just purchase one their. As i was waitibg to get this phone operational other customers inquired about purchasing sim cards from them as well and they refused. Just thought id post jere in case anyone was wondering. 

Better to go to London Drugs, Wow, The Mobile Shop or K Mobile. Welcome to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.