cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart refused to sell SIM card

PeggyC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I referred my friend to join PM. She went to Walmart at Matheson Blvd in Mississauga tonight at 5:30 pm.  The sales associate refused to sell a single SIM card alone, except she joins a plan.  It happened at South Commom Mall Walmart a couple months ago. He insisted that he can't sell a SIM card without joining the plan. My friend asked to see the manager. He said the manager is not there.  Therefore, She has to order it from Amazon, but will wait for a week to arrive.  My past experience was that when I was trying to buy SIM card from Wow at Erin Mill Town Center ?  They convinced me to join another carrier. 
PM should expand their SIM card retail network. Don't rely on these two unreliable retailers, if you want to get more business.

27 REPLIES 27

@PeggyC wrote:

I asked my friend to order it from Amazon for me as she is a prime member, otherwise, I have to pay the shipping fee because the order under $35. 

To pay Amazon the shipping fee to get your sim card wouldn't be anything that I would consider to be absolutely necessary even if you're not a Prime member.  It's very easy to spend $35. i would just get some household supplies that you know that you're going to use anyway.  Also, anyone who hasn't done this before could take a free 30 day Prime trial and even cancel the subscription immediately afterwards.  Another option would be to purchase the sim card directly from Public Mobile's website for $10.

PeggyC

I asked my friend to order it from Amazon for me as she is a prime member, otherwise, I have to pay the shipping fee because the order under $35. 

cbx4evr

And further. My brother had no issues buying 4 SIM cards at Walmart in Edmonton close to Ikea.

cbx4evr

I doubt your emails are going to get you any result. To my understanding the cell phone counter at Walmart is run by an outside contractor and Walmart gets a slice. Walmart isn't going to care much about what they do as long as the money is still coming in. I had no problem buying a SIM at Walmart in Ft. Sask. He askerd if I wanted to activate there, I declined and he rang it up.

PeggyC

I emailed Walmart about this incident. They replied with standard content. I responded to their message.  No reply received  up to this point. Will keep you posted.

GARB1962

@iamcdn wrote:

How much cheaper was it? I thought all sim cards for PM cost $10 everywhere they are sold

Amazon has them for $7.99 at this time.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@iamcdn wrote:

How much cheaper was it? I thought all sim cards for PM cost $10 everywhere they are sold

That's the price that Public Mobile charges on the website. The prices at other places can vary greatly, anywhere from free with activation to prices higher than $10.  I believe that Public Mobile doesn't want the sim cards to be sold for more than $10 under any circumstances, but some retailers reportedly have.

I did a quick check on SIM cards from various companies. I found the $20 card is no longer. Most are $10 and 🔔 is $5. 

@iamcdn wrote:

That's the price that Public Mobile charges on the website. The prices at other places can vary greatly, anywhere from free with activation to prices higher than $10.  I believe that Public Mobile doesn't want the sim cards to be sold for more than $10 under any circumstances, but some retailers reportedly have.

iamcdn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PeggyC

At first, I didn't aware that PM expanded many retailers, like Loblaws.  I asked my friend to buy it from Amazon with cheaper price.

PeggyC

Good suggestion.  Will email Walmart about this incident and get back to you with the result.

PaulatPM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well,technically  they can't refuse, but of course they will try to sell you some other carriers SIM because they make more money on those  and you will end up paying more from your pocket. We likes PM but these stores not. 

GARB1962

The Superstore Mobile Shop will also give you 1000 PC Optimum points as well (worth a whole $1).  You may have to remind them but I had no issue getting 1000 points per each of 2 sim cards purchased a couple of weeks ago.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So. For the Walmart’s that refuse to sell a SIM card only...they assume you are doing a first time set up. Has any one asked to buy a replacement SIM card due to loss or damage? How could they turn you down? Also....are you asking  for department manager or store manager? 

@darlicious wrote:

@PeggyC   I would recommend the mobile shop in superstore for your sim card needs.

@PeggyC  I'll second what @darlicious  typed, and I quoted above. While I don't have extensive experience with this sort of thing, the Mobile Shop in our local(Mission, BC) Real Canadian Superstore, is VERY good with customer service, and have ZERO issues with selling whatever SIM you may need(in my case, Lucky to start with, and then PM, and Chatr for my wife's phone).

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

that's why I order my sims online to avoid shady practices like that.

@PeggyC   Unfortunately I dont believe public mobile is willing to take walmart on in this case as they wield a hefty sword in the retail business. If they can get visa to back down i dont public mobile is going to waste their time. I would recommend the mobile shop in superstore for your sim card needs.

Please note koodo may charge activation fees....if they will sell a $10 SIM card great but I would not recommend them for activations. It is too bad that London drugs is only as far east as winnipeg they are an excellent retail partner in the West for public mobile.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@PeggyC , @kateyyj I'm quite sure if you were to go back to the same places and speak to more reasonable sales associates, you would be able buy the SIM. Basically there is no official statement from the head office ordering them to do that. Email Walmart Canada and ask them about it. And then post the reply here.  

@Jb456 wrote:

Oracles please merge? 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Retail/Walmart-refused-to-sell-SIM-card/m-p/503052

@Luddite @ShawnC13 @computergeek541 

Done

kateyyj

i see, i had to let him do it the other day. bc i dont want to wait a week to miss the promotion. how can we let PM know this , is it legit not selling card alone?

PeggyC

My friend wants to join PM by herself. She doesn't want a stranger know about her personal information, like DOB, credit card number, etc

PeggyC

We don't have London Drug store in Toronto, Ontario 

kateyyj

it happened to me last month when i signed another account. was told i have to sign there, it was new policy.

i purchase sim card alone last year. did not know it changed.

just curious, why your friend needed a card but not joined in there?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

They should not refuse but there has been reports..

You can try again and say this.."hey I lost my phone and just need a sim card to put in my new phone. I know how to change the sim card online in my account"

Or try another location. London drugs is apparently good.

PeggyC

I referred my friend to join PM. She went to Walmart at Matheson Blvd in Mississauga tonight at 5:30 pm.  The sales associate refused to sell a single SIM card alone, except she joins a plan.  It happened at South Commom Mall Walmart a couple months ago. He insisted that he can't sell a SIM card without joining the plan. My friend asked to see the manager. He said the manager is not there.  Therefore, She has to order it from Amazon, but will wait for a week to arrive.  My past experience was that when I was trying to buy SIM card from Wow at Erin Mill Town Center ?  They convinced me to join another carrier. 
PM should expand their SIM card retail network. Don't rely on these two unreliable retailers, if you want to get more business.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PeggyC 

London Drugs, K Mobile, The Mobile Shop (Superstore/Loblaws related), apparently some (not all) Koodo outlets - will sell you a SIM. Apparently some independents have been known to sell SIM's. There are now Public Mobile kiosks in some malls.

Need Help? Let's chat.