cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart information re 3G vs 4G data

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

A representative from the mobile center at Walmart in Halifax advised that having 1GB of 3G data is like having 100MB of 4G data.  He stood firm on that point, even when I raised doubt in the accuracy of his information.   Anyone care to weigh in on similar experiences?    

18 REPLIES 18

Apparently people assume that sales reps at retail locations are interested in assuring the customer gets a good deal, are knowledgeable of technical specifics, and are good at their job?

The kid behind the counter is the same (to my mind) as the kid working a circus gaming booth. He's counting how much money you've got to spend on what he sells, nothing more.

LarkAttack
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have had PM service for over 3 years. I use Spotify daily on 3G service, I send emails, surf the web, use Google Maps, Waze, Apple Podcasts, and occasionally watch Netflix and YouTube videos on-the-go. I have never had an issue with speed, I have even tethered (shared the connection with a laptop or computer) my wifi connection for emergencies or in the car and have never had speed issues. 3G isn't as fast as 4G, but it is still plenty fast for day to day use. You won't notice a slow down and it won't buffer, unless you're sharing that data with lots of other people. Usually with a cell phone, you use that data for one phone only.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HALIMACS wrote:

For sure, z10user4, I only entertain people like this until it's no longer beneficial.

I just let him give his spiel and then proceeded to advise him that two other Walmart reps from two other Walmart mobile centers told me his explanation was inaccurate.  His reaction was priceless and he actually said he was going to call them to correct their error in their understanding.

Hopefully, those two other Walmart reps set HIM straight!

The kicker, he is the MANAGER of the mobile center.  

OMG, that IS priceless!!! 🤣🤣🤣

For sure, z10user4, I only entertain people like this until it's no longer beneficial.

I just let him give his spiel and then proceeded to advise him that two other Walmart reps from two other Walmart mobile centers told me his explanation was inaccurate.  His reaction was priceless and he actually said he was going to call them to correct their error in their understanding.   The kicker, he is the MANAGER of the mobile center.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@HALIMACS wrote:

A representative from the mobile center at Walmart in Halifax advised that having 1GB of 3G data is like having 100MB of 4G data.  He stood firm on that point, even when I raised doubt in the accuracy of his information.   Anyone care to weigh in on similar experiences?    

This guy does not how to describe what he want to tell you.

Higher the data speed with full LTE speed, it will take less time to use the 1GB data.  But this guy does not know PM speed is LTE capped 3Mbps which is slower than the 3G full speed.

With LTE low latency, what ever your are trying to do, browsing or using mobile apps, will get going(i.e started) faster.  This will eat up the 1GB data 30 days plan data faster.  With touch screen on mobile phone, I always touch something that I was not planning to.  By the time I realized what I did wrong, it was too late as it was charged toward my 30 days quota.

During COVID, I will cut down my interaction with sales rep by arguing with the rep.  I will do whatever it takes to shut him up and let him finish the activation and get away from there.

@HALIMACS 

Would this be appropriate, in the words of Julia Roberts:

esjliv_0-1597863746217.png

LOL

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 1GB is 1GB. Speed and amount don't compare. Walk away to another store.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just say what I think to be right...once...and if he keeps it up then I just smile and nod and continue on. It depends on the situation too. If you need something from someone then you're not going to have a blow out argument with him. Just get what you need. Think to yourself ...whatever dude...and leave.

Remember...it's just a minimum wage job for the guy. He ain't no practicing brain surgeon.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HALIMACS  You should have told that idiot he was full of crap. Geez, how can someone possibly say something like that with a straight face..... I mean, 1GB is an amount, whereas the difference between 3G & 4G is the speed at which you receive that amount. 🙄

I know Triguy.  He was trying to convince me it was equivalent.   I doubted him the whole time but it was kinda fun listening to him trying to explain the 'logic'...

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

Actually because of download optimization it actually feels like 1.25Gigs

You can read details

https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Optimization.pdf 

For the same reaching and reading you will actually use a bit less of data then if you were on unrestricted LTE, I never noticed real difference in speed

They were just trying to sell you something you didn't come to buy

Welcome to Publicmobile

@HALIMACS wrote:

Yes I've heard that.  What's interesting is that this individual insisted that when Public Mobile says they're giving you 1GB of 3G data, you're only getting 10% of that in equivalent 4G data.  

@HALIMACS he is just trying to get you to go with a provider that he gets a better commission with it happens all the time with these guys I hate dealing with them and don't if I can avoid it 

They are not the same. 3G vs 4G us a difference in speed and 1 GB vs 100MB is a difference in data quantity.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/storage/mb-to-gb-3573411/

Yes I've heard that.  What's interesting is that this individual insisted that when Public Mobile says they're giving you 1GB of 3G data, you're only getting 10% of that in equivalent 4G data.  

Oh I agree with you.  I was just surprised at the insistence of this individual.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I haven't had that experience @HALIMACS  but FYI Public Mobile is 4g LTE throttled to 3mbts.  Stay safe. 

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HALIMACS wrote:

@HALIMACS lol another walmart employee dissing Public 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS This is not correct. The difference between 3G and 4G is speed. 1gb of 3G is not like 100mb of 4G. If you will use data in a way that requires high speed, for example, watching 4k video online, 4G internet will load it faster than the 3G one.

Need Help? Let's chat.