cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Walmart - ‘disregarding phone carrier policy’

I had read up on the difficulty some people have had with purchasing a SIM card from Walmart without being forced to activate in-store, so was forwarned when I went to purchase two SIM cards from a Walmart Supercentre a couple of weeks ago. Sure enough, the associate was polite, but certain that he could not sell any SIM cards without activating in-store. When I told him Public Mobile was all about self-service and that I wanted to do my own activation, he conceded that it was a little unusual, but stated that he had been trained to disregard any phone carrier policies in favour of Walmart policies. His manager was away for the weekend and he was new, so he finally decided to sell me the SIM cards on his own responsibility. I was grateful, but what a shame that Walmart managers bully their employees into disregarding the very companies they claim to represent.

Oracle

Re: Walmart - ‘disregarding phone carrier policy’

Yes, Walmart is pretty bad. Now that PM introduced other Retail stores and other 3rd party stores, they should just ditch Walmart. 

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Oracle

This is the scum company that staffs the wireless department at Walmart.  There needs to be a social media campaign to out this establishment as being a shady business.

https://oslrs.com/

Contact walmart at https://www.walmart.ca/en/help/contact-us/corporate if you haven't already done so, even if the wireless dept is subcontracted to others.

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Oracle

@NDesai wrote:

Yes, Walmart is pretty bad. Now that PM introduced other Retail stores and other 3rd party stores, they should just ditch Walmart. 

Walmart doesn't really run that department.  That said, if enough complaints go to Walmart, they would consider doing something to protect their brand. 

Mayor / Maire

@Gonzo I would message the mods with the Walmart location details. And date time etc as well as a link to this thread. They seem to be  actively trying to do something about it.

True, it’s too bad if PM has expanded to retail locations to be more accessible, only to end up having an extra layer of frustration added! Some cities don’t have London Drugs or Wow, leaving Walmart our only option for purchasing PM SIM cards, so rather than dump Walmart for mismanagement, I hope PM can convince Walmart (or its wireless subcontractor, I guess) to cooperate with PM policies.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the link, I submitted my experience to Walmart regarding their refusal to sell me a SIM card..

JL9

Yeah...this has become just beyond ridiculous now. Maybe they can find a competitor to deal with and just pull it from Walmart altogether. If only.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I was having my PM number activated at a Walmart in Scarborough this week, the sales guy pushed very hard first for Lucky, then Koodo. Really hard! I felt they were indeed reluctant toward PM business.