cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Stores Experience - Montreal Area

Patrick6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Avoid all Walmart stores in the Montreal area. They all have been instructed to never sell you a SIM card without in-store activation. They say it's a permanent policy. One store even tried to convince me that I will still get the $25 referral credit if I do the activation in-store.

18 REPLIES 18

Patrick6

The 3rd party company for Walmart is OSL Retail Services.

But i’ m not sure it’s the case because Walmart is not responsible for the electronic section... it’s what I understood here....

Patrick6

For those in Quebec in the same situation you can also make a complaint to The Office de la protection du consommateur. Walmart paid in 2017 over $27,514 for 11 charges laid under the Quebec Consumer Protection Act. (Gather all the information about stores, dates, time, etc..)

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah I often hear Walmart phone employees push Virgin Mobile or Lucky Mobile over any carrier.

7AD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@will13am wrote:

Based on previous feedback, Walmart is unfortunately not a good retailer to work with.  Most of the stores and store agents won't sell SIM cards as there is no commission in it for them.  It is conceivable that at the same store, different agents will treat customers differently.  Personally, I don't do business with Walmart with very few exceptions. 

I bought my Public Mobile SIM at a Walmart in Nova Scotia without incident. As we know though Quebec is a distinct society and the home of the Bell Canada mothership. Vive la difference.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Based on previous feedback, Walmart is unfortunately not a good retailer to work with.  Most of the stores and store agents won't sell SIM cards as there is no commission in it for them.  It is conceivable that at the same store, different agents will treat customers differently.  Personally, I don't do business with Walmart with very few exceptions. 

7AD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wonder if these Walmart employees, who might be Public Mobile customers themselves, were trying to earn a discount via Public Mobile's referral programme?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Same here... I tried to buy 2 SIM cards yesterday at Walmart and the employee told me that he can’t sell just a sim... that’s the policy of Walmart’store...I told him that I will report the case at Public mobile... what I did ...private message to Mary with name and adress of the store and when it happened. I went to wow mobile and no problem!!!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patrick6 send your retail experience to @Mary_M  ie store address date time etc.. 

Patrick6

So, they are liars. In any case, I gave up after trying three Walmart stores.

I wonder if they would sell you a SIM if you tell them you lost your existing one and need to buy a replacement...

@Alex888 wrote:
If they try that then remind them that it is against the law for them to force you to sign up for a plan and activate your SIM in store.

"Force"?  They can't force you to do anything.  You also need to realize there's no law that says that have to sell the product.   However, them saying that you can only get it if activating it there is against Public Mobile's polciies.

tehowennathe

Employee her self is a PM customer. She told my sister you will love it.

tehowennathe

It's wrong to do that. Another employee told her my sister had to activate in store. The employee who was helping said do you really want me to call boss and tell him you just said that. That kept other emplyee quiet. We later heard her say to that guy, you know dam well they can do it on their own. 

@tehowennathe They do it because they are either misinformed or they are trying to make money from the sale of a plan.

tehowennathe

I bought mine at Decarie location last week. Well it was s replacement for new phone.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
If they try that then remind them that it is against the law for them to force you to sign up for a plan and activate your SIM in store.

tehowennathe

That's a straight out lie. My sister got a sim card tiday in Montreal. Woman asked her if she needed help. She told her I would be doing it and woman said no problem. Sold us SIM card and we just activated it. Not sure why you where told that. 

Need Help? Let's chat.